Dog owners - dogs and a bongo

Pets like Bongos! Anything to do with dogs, cats and other Bongo animals, you can post here. But please keep photo sizes within limits.

Moderator: helen&tony

sotal
Supreme Being

Dog owners - dogs and a bongo

Post by sotal » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:37 pm

We have a medium size dog, he is a collie x lab. Imagine a black lab the size of a collie. He is young (coming up for 3).

The plan is (when we get the bongo) to take him with us most of the time. We have a large dog crate which he is quite happy going in, which will be ideal for travel (maybe bungeed to the front seats to stop it moving?)

Once on a site he could be tethered or in the crate in the awning, he'll probably sleep most of the time due to the walks he'll be going on.

The only worry I have is if we decided to walk to a local pub for a meal - if it was a hot day we could take him with us and eat outside, but if the weather was cool he isn't the type to be suitable to take indoors (even if the pub allowed) - he is still too young and bouncy!

This part of my question will probably sound quite bad :lol: so I'll try and word it right!

What are bongos like for leaving a dog in for an hour or so? Obviously in a normal car I wouldn't like to do it but what is a bongo like for heating up? Can you partially open the sunroof for air flow? Close the blinds and put the silver things on the windows to keep the sun out etc?

Do they have alarms? Can you disable the movement sensors?

Does that make it acceptable to leave him in the bongo in his crate (with water)?

Wouldn't want to ever endanger him but would like to make sure he is somewhere secure too.
Cab-ova pete
Bongolier

Re: Dog owners - dogs and a bongo

Post by Cab-ova pete » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:17 pm

Personally I wouldn't leave my dog in a vehicle where I can't see him, someone might steal him? Dogs are very sought after for all kind of reasons! Pets to order thefts are rife at the moment everywhere :shock: also in this unpredictable weather I couldn't do it, if you leave water down how long before its warm? Love dogs :D
KMH
Bongonaut

Post by KMH » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:26 pm

Monty - also a collie lab - absolutely loves coming away in the Bongo! But it does warm up pretty quickly, so he might get left in it if I nip into the supermarket, for instance, but not for long and only if really needed. Your dog will only learn to calm down and cope in a pub as he gets experience of it; you might be surprised how he does, and I've been in various pubs/cafes that have coped with a restless dog as he learns (he is still learning . . . ). And if worst comes to worst, I figure that the fun of having the dog away with me is worth the sacrifice of not being able to eat out.
Rapidair65
Bongolier

Post by Rapidair65 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:40 am

We have three Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and never leave them in the Bongo. The thought of the dogs being stolen then used for baiting or puppy farming is too much. We always take the dogs with us and try to find dog friendly pubs or eateries. There are publications available which list dog friendly establishments or search online. We have a 12v oscillating fan which cools the dogs down when we are on site or travelling (our rear aircon was taken out as part of the side conversion). Our main issue is that a lot of private sites limit the number of dogs allowed.
1998 green and silver V6 called 'Blossom'
2004 white 2 litre tin top called Buzz.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:26 am

Hi
Rapidair...
Check it out...
Until recently, and I don't know if the law has been repealed, but it still was the case when I last looked, and that is that a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel cannot by law be refused entry anywhere, because of the law brought in for King Charles the Second, that he could take his dogs into any establishment. It effectively meant that Cavalier King Charles Spaniels can accompany you to any restaurant....KOOL , eh? 8) 8) 8) 8)
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Rapidair65
Bongolier

Post by Rapidair65 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:35 am

We have heard that too and it seems an MP tried it in the House of Commons and got ejected along with the dog! When we are refused entry we threaten them with incarceration in The Tower but it makes no difference, we're out. I do believe that the CKCS is allowed in the Royal Parks off the lead. We did find that the lake district is first class for being dog friendly. The pet shop in Keswick hands out a leaflet listing all the dog friendly pubs and eateries in the area.
1998 green and silver V6 called 'Blossom'
2004 white 2 litre tin top called Buzz.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:50 am

Hi
I love my dogs, and it's a matter of luck as to whether they are friendly....We took the older GSD and the lurcher to the Bongo Meet over here in Bulgaria...surprise surprise...they ignored everyone, but the older GSD normally senses anyone who needs a bit of attention, and he will attack. The young GSD, who we got later is thoroughly boisterous, and with all 3, it's difficult to take them into company, but, crikey, they're great personal guards!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:42 pm

Thanks for all the replies - that is fine, can plan around that!

Will aim for places we can eat outside on warm days! We love the dog but he does take a fair bit of extra planning for things like this!
al & chris
Tribal Elder

Post by al & chris » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:31 pm

If you have lifting roof , it is cooler inside van than outside with roof elevated zips undone and hatch lifted. Windows open as well.
PixieAndTheMoon
Supreme Being

Post by PixieAndTheMoon » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:18 pm

Just take enough food and drink with you and enjoy the dogz company, we chose to have the dog right?

Our Maggie (boxer dog) now gone didn't like being alone so we stayed with her.

Jo :)
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:23 pm

Carefull if you leave your dog in your bongo on a warm/hot day and police receive a complaint,if the copper is a dog lover,only a cursory enq to find the owner may result, before the windows are put in to extract the dog

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Cab-ova pete
Bongolier

Post by Cab-ova pete » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:31 pm

I'm hearing that jo, I was the same with my boy "spike" he hated being on his own :( I rushed everywhere to be with him all the time? No time for friends :shock: just time for my dog :D loved him and still do........ :? And Brian they are the last people to be concerned about dog safety, they killed two police dogs just recently in those exact circumstances I believe? I maybe wrong?
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:50 pm

Cab-ova pete wrote:I'm hearing that jo, I was the same with my boy "spike" he hated being on his own :( I rushed everywhere to be with him all the time? No time for friends :shock: just time for my dog :D loved him and still do........ :? And Brian they are the last people to be concerned about dog safety, they killed two police dogs just recently in those exact circumstances I believe? I maybe wrong?
Yes, youre right Pete,and he should have the book thrown at him,but thats just that handler,who,on that day, made a fatal error of judgement .
Dog handlers,for the reason they apply to work with a canine partner,are in the main, dog lovers.To say "they are the last people to be concerned about dog safety" implies that all coppers arent bothered,and thats not the case.
Ive smashed quite a few car windows to get dogs out of a car on a hot day,wasnt bothered about the owner ranting at me for doing it if the dog was ok,and if they did,I was happy to to then forward a report to the RSPCA for them to prosecute the owner,(its the RSPCA that does any animal related prosecutions)

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"

Return to “Bongo Furry!”