Kam the Kollie

Pets like Bongos! Anything to do with dogs, cats and other Bongo animals, you can post here. But please keep photo sizes within limits.

Moderator: helen&tony

BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Kam the Kollie

Post by BigPanzer » Fri May 01, 2015 12:37 am

As far as I know none of you have ever met him and even if you had, he would be just another tricolour collie, nothing special. However to me he was everything. He came to me when SWMBO and I were involved in a small local dog rescue charity - a dirty, very aggressive animal rescued from an unknown source who hated people, other dogs and the world in general. He was unadoptable by anyones standards and his fate was predictable. We didn't really want to foster him for the safety of our other mutts, but we took him on anyway. There was something about him that said "I don't want to be like this"
It took a long time to get him into the house. Obviously the sort of place he wasn't used to. He had never seen a flat screen TV before because he kept looking behind it to try to find the people.
For 2 weeks he would not eat out of a bowl. We had to throw his food onto the kitchen floor and let him steal it. It took me a year before he was really at ease with me tickling his ears.
Fast forward 6 years. A lovely obedient little man. He would walk at my heel through the local town centre off lead and with minimal instruction. He was completely safe with children unless you count licking them to death. His evening walk would always be off lead and he would never enter the house until he was sure all his "pack" were safely through the door.

Kam went to the Rainbow Bridge this afternoon. If you have a glass of wine handy as you read this then please raise it to a remarkable collie and think of his life rather than his passing.

Peter
(sorry, whisky helps but only in the short term)
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: Kam the Kollie

Post by helen&tony » Fri May 01, 2015 3:24 am

Hi
Sorry to hear this...At least his life with you was good...collies are smashing dogs.
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Fri May 01, 2015 5:47 pm

All the best to you and yours
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Fri May 01, 2015 8:20 pm

So sorry Peter, bless him, he sounds wonderful. Our dogs leave their paw prints on our heart.
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
redz79
Bongonaut

Post by redz79 » Fri May 01, 2015 8:32 pm

Hi
so sorry to hear of your loss , rescue dogs can be a challenge but so rewarding when you get results, the pain of loss goes away but the memories stay with us forever.
rgds Ian
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Fri May 01, 2015 8:46 pm

A remarkable story not unlike ours. when I was reading it with my wife we just looked at each other then she said 'god who does that sound like' The collie we rescued from death row Benji. 4 years on he still has issues but is 400% better than he was.

Thanks for sharing that with us and I will open a bottle tonight and give him a thought.

best wishes
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Post by BigPanzer » Sat May 02, 2015 2:38 pm

Thank you for your kind words folks. He was my best friend and his passing has been difficult for both of us. But we still have Whisper and Lady. Whisper, by the way, is doing well. They both keep looking for him, which is rather sad

Peter
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat May 02, 2015 3:00 pm

Hi Peter
Aaaaww...glad to hear Whisper's doing well...sorry to hear that they're looking for Kam...We've never had a dog do that when another goes...possibly because we get another one?
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Sat May 02, 2015 5:13 pm

I wish we could organise a dog attending Bongo bash! Cool!
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
Cab-ova pete
Bongolier

Post by Cab-ova pete » Sat May 02, 2015 7:56 pm

Hi panzer, sorry to hear of your loss, I know how you feel. I lost my best friend at the end of January, it absolutely broke me, I cry everyday for my spike, he was my reason for life! I picked him the day he was born and loved him for 14 years, we went everywhere, markets all over the country. He guarded my kids grandkids car and house. He slept on my bed every night from the age of 1. I have never missed anybody or anything like how I miss my spike? I had a proper funeral for him, a Hearst picked him up and took him past our woods and then down to the crematorium, I can't believe how many people came to spikes cremation? Made me see how special he was, everyone knew him from my neighbourhood as he was one of many Staffordshire bull terriers I the area. I had to give him the respect and dignity he gave to me,even while he was poorly he wouldn't mess in the house, I would carry him outside and as soon as I put him down he would do it! Such a clean dog he wouldn't poo in his own garden? :D He made me walk him every night which is what I loved. I will never get over losing him :( I will be cracking a bottle for kam and spike tonight :D and just remember GOD loved his funny little creation so much he reversed his own name and called it DOG
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun May 03, 2015 11:01 am

Jeebers what lovely elegies. Very sorry to read of your losses. I don't have a dog (losing a cat years ago was enough for me) but my partner Trish lost hers last year and misses her dreadfully.
Garry W
Bongonaut

Post by Garry W » Mon May 04, 2015 1:15 am

Wotcha.

Condolences - been there, done that, as they say.

AJAY the DOG
G.W.
al & chris
Tribal Elder

Post by al & chris » Tue May 05, 2015 11:42 am

Dogs are brilliant companions, so sorry that Kam has gone. You took a rescue dog in and gave it a chance to live its life. We have one that was on death row and she is now 19yr old. Sure Kam will be in your memories as will our dog Sophie when she goes.

Return to “Bongo Furry!”