Any suggestions for getting Ellie to like the bongo??

Pets like Bongos! Anything to do with dogs, cats and other Bongo animals, you can post here. But please keep photo sizes within limits.

Moderator: helen&tony

stewby
Bongolier

Any suggestions for getting Ellie to like the bongo??

Post by stewby » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:05 pm

Basically... my parents have the most adorable rescue dog called Ellie. The reason why they can't use their bongo any more is because Ellie doesn't like being so close to the floor of the bongo, or the engine noise. My dad isn't entirely sure which.

Apparently she got abandoned outside and was found tied up so she doesn't like being left alone. My mum is willing to sit in the back seat with her but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for helping Ellie to like the bongo??

This is Ellie and our bongo:

http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/stewb ... ngo%20pics

No lovey smilies.
:(
the laird
Supreme Being

Re: Any suggestions for getting Ellie to like the bongo??

Post by the laird » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:13 pm

If she has her own cover to lie on put it on the seat also take something ie toy she has or something she sleeps with into the van it's always worked for us good luck !!
KMH
Bongonaut

Post by KMH » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:51 pm

Ellie looks a lovely dog! My dog hated the car at first, but eventually, and with persistence, he will now hop in happily, because he has learnt we are always going somewhere fun. I would put her bed in the bongo, along with food and or toys, and try to encourage her to sit in it with your mum without actually going anywhere. Then do a number of short trips to somewhere she loves to help her get used to it, and to learn there is a reward at the end. You can get a hormone spray called Adaptil that is meant to calm stressed dogs, though it didn't work for my dog. I had more success with a dose of Calms ( the human variety).
Good luck!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:12 am

Hi
Dogs eyesight is not quite the same as ours, as the image processing works best when an object is moving, and their sight is not so good on still objects....Stand still at 100 yards, and they might not see you against a background....move, and they'll see you in a microsecond...they are attuned to hunting. This is why dogs like cars, in my opinion, as ALL the images in sight are moving...SO MUCH excitement.
Therefore....perhaps Ellie might like being lifted up for a while to see a bit better....until she's content and just lies down....that's what our dogs do...watch the scenery for a while, then sleep!!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:28 am

Apparently she got abandoned outside and was found tied up so she doesn't like being left alone.
Therefore....perhaps Ellie might like being lifted up for a while to see a bit better....until she's content and just lies down....that's what our dogs do...watch the scenery for a while, then sleep!!
Lily wasn't abandoned or rescued, but she HATES to be on the floor where she can't see what's happening. She is so excited and happy by what she sees as she's whizzing along.
Who knows, maybe it's a bit like people with a fear of small places? They'd probably hate to be confined where they couldn't see anything and couldn't understand the noises they were hearing. And as Ellie's been abandoned, she'll take time to adjust.

We put a cover on the seat, and a proper Car Safe dog harness on Lily, that clips into a seatbelt. You could try that. 8)
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:58 pm

I think it is really trial and error, as the varying answers here alude to.

We also have a nervous rescue dog however she dislikes all cars not just the bongo! We found through trial and error than counter to any human logic she travels best when covered up and can't see all the movement. Nope it doesn't make any sense to us either! Originally she was on the seat but got very stressed and vomited, so then we put her crate in the back which was better but inconvenient, then we found when trying to wedge stuff into bongo, including things on top of the crate she liked it even better, so we purposely covered the cage like a budgie and she's OK, having completed several 200 mile journeys (with a break!).

Our latest discovery is a tent like tube that fits across back seats and straps in. We've only done 400 miles with that but that works best and it also collapse so doesn't take up much room.
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:58 pm

Hi
We've had all sorts of dogs, rescue and breed dogs...We had one that liked throwing up on the handbrake, and eventually stopped, and you couldn't get her out of the car afterwards...we had one dog who must have been a traveller's dog...mistreated and VERY vicious....she was to be put down...BUT, we got her out of the violence , BUT, doesn't matter whose car, if somebody opened their door , she was in - much to our embarrassment , but, fortunately, people found it amusing.... Our lurcher was a beaten dog, and starved, and her leg had been "gloved"...We took her on, and it was 9 months before she stopped piddling in the living room....we tiled the floor :lol: ...she's an old lady now, and rules our 2 German Shepherds!...They all like the car, but our older GSD has 2 dog-guards, and the side windows blocked with the fold-up seats to stop him shattering them....he severely WANTS to bite other animals as we drive past.... :roll: ....He chased a mule all round the village when he snapped his lead....the villagers thought it hilarious...now you wouldn't get away with that in the UK :lol: ...
Anyway, dogs are all characters of their own, and I like to leave them to it!....they sleep with us, and it's mutually beneficial...I've even been known to sleep on the floor while one dog we had slept on the sofa, because he couldn't get upstairs until his op. healed....Best dog we've ever had!
With the dogs we've had, we gave lots of patience, and each and every one had their own view of cars...BUT, they liked being with us, and that always surmounts the fear.
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:13 pm

Yep, they're all different and interesting in their own way. Got to make a decision on whether to take on another one tonight!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:30 pm

Hi
Well, if you have a lurcher already, depending on what type, they often like another of their kind...Our Willow is a saluki x greyhound, and they are very "picky" about company but if you put them together with others of the same type, they seem to physically enjoy the company...REALLY!!!!...strange to watch....whether it holds true with other lurchers , I don't know, but we had a small lurcher years ago, and she seemed alright with any dog...a bit of an odd one...
They do say don't have 2 bitches together, or 2 dogs...I don't know about that one...BUT our 2 bitches get a bit scrappy, and the dog just tolerates either one... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:39 pm

That's interesting Helen, thanks. We have Jessie, our 50/50 Greyhound/GSD, the potential new one is also female and 100% Greyhound.

Jessie is happy with any dog but being large and playful needs another lively bigger dog. As funny as it is watching her run around a field with a terrier, long term that would drive me nuts (and rip all my grass up). The greyhound we are looking at is very untypical of GH's in she is very lively and playful. They get on as a test but hopefully, if we do decide to go for it, they'll get on long term too and not get too scrappy.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:51 am

Hi
I'd love another lurcher when our Willow goes...especially a Saluki x greyhound...they really are strange...they go off in a dream world from time to time, like they're "sent"....our Willow is barmy, and typically lazy...as you know, Greyhounds and Lurchers are often known as the "Worlds fastest couch potatoes" and are very lazy...so to have a pair of sprightly ones would be fun!
If you get a chance, why not get them to pull a sledge in snow!!!!...Lurchers make good sled racers...Tony worked with a guy who trained sled dogs in Canada, and they have almost gone over to lurcher types (apparently)....real bonus, as they stay on a leash AND get exercise .
Cheers
Helen
Margaret & Billy
Bongonaut

Post by Margaret & Billy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:49 pm

My little west highland terrier settles better if his head is covered :) bought him crate for traveling just cover that and hes fine :) and we know he is safe :) good luck ..
HAVE BONGO WILL TRAVEL :D
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:12 am

Thank you very much for all the replies. I apologise for the delay in responding, I work 12 hours shifts and have basically come home, eaten cake and switched on the laptop then fallen asleep.

Ellie is an absolute beauty of a dog and we all love her to bits so we want to solve this problem. We will try the things you suggest. She is very much a daddy's girl (just like me) so I imagine once we get her somewhere that she will settle really quickly. It's just the getting somewhere.
:)

Pehaps, I will drive the bongo and my dad can sit in the back with Ellie!!!!
:wink:

Thanks again for all the replies, I will let you know how it goes.
:D
adscatt
Bongonaut

Post by adscatt » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:11 am

We spent about a year lifting our weimaraner into the boot of our car, which was ok whilst a pup!, she used to get car sick so hated every journey. Watched a tv programme where people would have the same issue, trainer said don't make a fuss, don't talk, open the car first and walk them to the car in one motion pull the lead into the boot, and hey presto she jumped in, took about four journeys doing this. Now she jumps in the boot.

However in the Bongo because she sits with my daughter's with her harness on she can't get in quick enough. Now we've been from Manchester to Cornwall with no problems.
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:17 am

Jeebers. After reading all this I think I'll get a cat......and leave it at home :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Bongo Furry!”