Cfor

Pets like Bongos! Anything to do with dogs, cats and other Bongo animals, you can post here. But please keep photo sizes within limits.

Moderator: helen&tony

Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Cfor

Post by Jillygumbo » Fri May 09, 2014 9:16 pm

During the last year Cfor's health declined. She went from a bouncy puppy (!) to an old lady on tablets. She has travelled with me almost everywhere I've been over the last 14 years (when I first discovered camping and Cornwall) and has been fantastic company - never complaining because she was always happy to be with me.

Over Easter I discovered a mammary tumour. She had been a bit wobbly on her legs, overbalanced down a grassy slope, revealing her tummy. She has been going through phases of not eating and then eating heartily. I had a lot of time to think while I was away.

She went to the vets when we got home and they took bloods for tests to see if she was strong enough for an op. She was booked in for further tests and a scan following the Hereford meet, but she went through another non-eating phase and developed an abscess, which burst. I made the decision to cancel the tests and the possible op. She turned 16 on 1 May. That's ooh 112!

The vet rang me on bank holiday Monday to book the appointment for the scan, so I told them of my decision.

I took her in on Tuesday morning with Jon in tow for support. We stayed with her and the vet was fantastic, so sympathetic and left us alone with her for as long as we wanted. She will be coming home to be buried in the garden with the pussycats so she won't be lonely.

It's very hard at the moment and I don't want to talk about it yet. Missing my morning walks and dreading the next camping trip but that's not for a while.

Just thought I'd let people know officially.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Cfor

Post by Bob » Fri May 09, 2014 9:22 pm

Oh Jilly.

Thanks so much for having the strength to do the best for Cfor, and having the strength to tell us.

So many of us regarded her as part of Bongoing, and the next trip will be very difficult for you.

RIP Sweetheart, and thankyou again, Jilly.

XXX
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat May 10, 2014 10:00 am

Hi
So sad to hear that, and so hard a decision...but you made the right choice....Everyone has mixed feelings and opinions when they lose a valued friend, but I have always found a prompt replacement distracts you a bit....It's so hard without a furry mate to sit on the sofa with!
All the Very Best
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Sat May 10, 2014 12:04 pm

Jilly

It's never easy parting with an old friend but may I say you made the right decision. my Lab had the same mammary problem and we operated removing all her nipples in the process. She went through hell with her recovery and the suffering was hell for both of us. I wish I had the courage to do the same at the time. we got another year out of her but she was never the same dog.

sorry for your loss but be brave and go rescue another homeless one who is waiting to love and be loved.
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
Evil Edna
Bongolier

Post by Evil Edna » Sat May 10, 2014 3:11 pm

Sad news indeed. Not an easy decision to make but surely the right one. Take care & see you at the main bash x
Edna
Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Links to my blog
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Sat May 10, 2014 5:21 pm

Sad news indeed. I just hope our "awning peg removal with sledgehammer" at Tackeroo with Cfor alongside wasn't a contributory factor in her demise.

Cherish the memories :wink:
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Sat May 10, 2014 5:28 pm

Thank you everyone for your kind words. Yes, I'm looking for another as soon as possible but we have a few things to consider, eg THE CATS!

And yes I think the next camping trip will be hard. Luckily the first one is a festival that she couldn't have come to anyway.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Post by BigPanzer » Sun May 11, 2014 1:28 am

Hi,

I am so sorry to hear this. I have never met Cfor, but I know the heartache when a furry friend passes away. They enrich our lives so much yet ask for little in return.

Peter
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Sun May 11, 2014 11:49 am

Hi,

Never met Cfor, but have been thru exactly the same circumstances.but you did the right thing for her
Youl never forget her (I have a bit of my last dogs ashes and his collar nametag, on my keyring)
Good luck with your search for a new pup.

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Mon May 12, 2014 6:38 pm

Really sorry to hear this Jilly. :( It's so hard to go through this, all we can ever do is our best for them. I've told Al, he was gutted, he's been telling me tales about her.
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Mon May 12, 2014 8:53 pm

Thank you all for your kind messages
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
marionw
Bongolier

Post by marionw » Tue May 13, 2014 3:02 pm

Just read about Cfor, Jilly.
So sorry for your loss, have been there myself in the past.
You need to remember what a great life you gave her, all her outdoor adventures.
Hope to see you in June at Stourport.
Best wishes,
Marion (met you at Port Eynon.)

Return to “Bongo Furry!”