Bryher - The Blue Merle Bongo Bash Border Collie

Pets like Bongos! Anything to do with dogs, cats and other Bongo animals, you can post here. But please keep photo sizes within limits.

Moderator: helen&tony

samuel
Bongolier

Re: Bryher - The Blue Merle Bongo Bash Border Collie

Post by samuel » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:15 pm

Peter (BigPanzer)

What a wonderful account of the dogs in your life. I've been sat here in tears reading about the people and yourself who have benefited from a dogs friendship.

Jilly

I know you well and its lovely to see you input into this topic. Cfor is clearly an important part of your life and of course you knew Bryher. Earlier in the year we lost our cat, Charlie who was run over outside our house. She was only nine and such a character, very vocal. She would come in and talk to us. So funny. She regarded Bryher as her mother.

Both our animals are buried in our back garden. We couldn't bear parting with them.

Quoting Elze. The next part of the journey begins now as we search for another friend. Fond memories abound and we reflect on the fun we had with both.
"Living the Dream"
samuel
Bongolier

Post by samuel » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:15 pm

Peter (BigPanzer)

What a wonderful account of the dogs in your life. I've been sat here in tears reading about the people and yourself who have benefited from a dogs friendship.

Jilly

I know you well and its lovely to see you input into this topic. Cfor is clearly an important part of your life and of course you knew Bryher. Earlier in the year we lost our cat, Charlie who was run over outside our house. She was only nine and such a character, very vocal. She would come in and talk to us. So funny. She regarded Bryher as her mother.

Both our animals are buried in our back garden. We couldn't bear parting with them.

Quoting Elze. The next part of the journey begins now as we search for another friend. Fond memories abound and we reflect on the fun we had with both.
"Living the Dream"
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:40 pm

samuel wrote:Peter (BigPanzer)

Jilly

Only those who have taken a sip can truly understand the quality of the experience.

When I was born I had a dog in my cot within the first 10 minutes, Glenn was my mothers dog a collie cross who from that day never left my side until he died. Even now although I was only small, can remember him lying next to me on my bed.

I cannot remember anytime since when I have not had a dog at home. Although I never would, I could shout at them and upset them and treat them badly and they would still be there for me. A dogs love is unconditional.

Try this on your mates or family and forgiveness could be a long way off.

I love all animals but dogs are special to me.

[/color][/color][/color]
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Post by BigPanzer » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:58 am

Hi,

I can't agree about loving all animals, sorry. I kept Koi until quite recently and consequently I don't have much love for cats (or herons). This came to a head about a year ago when a cat managed to get under the netting and left four deep claw marks on Jellicoe - a 7lb pure white beauty. Probably not worth very much, but I'd had him for 10 years and was tame enough to swim into my arms and would lie there without struggling if I lifted him out of the water.
OK you feline fiends I thought and bought one of those pump up supersoaker things. I was tempted to fill it with battery acid, but thought better of it.
After a few very satisfying squirtings my score started to reduce and I observed that at the slightest sound of the supersoaker being pumped they were vanishing very quickly.
So I thought "why not record the sound of a supersoaker being pumped and trigger replay by a PIR overlooking the pond" Would it work, I don't know, but the cats would have to be trained first with a few soakings.

At this point I really should apologise to all the cat lovers reading this, but you have to admit that a soaking is better than an air rifle or nuking them.

Then suddenly all the local moggies vanished from the garden. I still saw them in the area, but never anywhere near our garden. All was well in the Koi pond. Or so I thought!

Come the summer I had to fish some blanket weed out, using my metal hook. Funny, I thought. That hurt. So I tried it again. Yep, it definitely hurts. I wonder.........................................
After draining the pond and fishing the pump out I found the cable had been abraded and the water in the pond was live to the mains. Of course this wouldn't affect the fish, and the pond is formed from an insulated GRP liner.
No wonder the local cats stayed away!

But I digress. (not unusual at this time of night) My love is for dogs. They ask for very little from us, but can give back so much if you let them and guide them, providing all their needs are met. One thing that worries me though is the current trend for people taking on young dogs that are completely unsuitable such as Huskys or other very high energy high intelligence working dogs. There is a Husky locally, living in a small flat
and at the age of 12 months he gets around a mile a day if he is lucky. Lovely dog, but completely out of control and I'm afraid we can predict his future and it is not good. And it won't be his fault.

It may be an issue for serious debate, but I think for the sake of the dogs and to help kill the puppy farm industry we need to go back to some sort of licencing system for breeders and owners. And I think one of the criteria for licencing should be never being caught with your dog and without a poly bag!

Peter
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:29 am

samuel wrote:Jilly

Ah yes, our garden is full of our babies, mainly cats as my OH is an avid cat person. And yes, Cfor is a very important part of my life. I can't imagine camping without her company and dread for the time between Cfor and another dog. We've been looking for a suitable companion for her for quite some time now but haven't found the right one yet. We will find one I'm sure.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
cossie
Junior Bongonaut

Post by cossie » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:41 pm

Just to agree with all the recent posts about rescue dogs , heres a picture of our dog Mac.
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:08 pm

Right then, sorry for delay in posting but I have been fighting my way up the M62 and back in terrible high wind and torrential rain.

Anyway, Cats! I am no fan of them but I could not hurt one and I have rescued a few! starlings, Blackbirds, Robins and Thrush are all losing the battle of life and it is highly thought that cats have a lot to do with it according to the RSPB. Estimates say over 3 million a year.

MAC cannot believe they are not from the same litter? Amazing looking dog and I have sent the picture to my wife back home and she will not believe it either.

Animals are just wonderful and you get a big bang for your buck when you invest in one.
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:27 am

Aw, Tim, I've just read this and I've got tears running down my cheeks. Bryher was a gorgeous dog, may she be happy and free of all ailments in doggie heaven, re-living the happy times she had with you all.

Love and hugs to you all at this sad time, and best wishes for 2014 .... hoping it brings you health, happiness and success, and a new member of the family.
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
samuel
Bongolier

Post by samuel » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:57 pm

Hi Alison

Thanks for your response and of course you knew Bryher well. We're still grieving her loss but I got home last night and Jill said, 'have a look at this'. She has found a twelve month old blue merle border collie which needs rehoming. She's coming to stay with us tomorrow to see how we all get on. Dare I say it but there is quite a bit of excitement in our household at the moment.

We treasure our memories of Bryher and she will always be there. I have a feeling the new journey starts tomorrow.
"Living the Dream"
samuel
Bongolier

Post by samuel » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:59 pm

Hi Cossie

What a handsome dog Mac is. Thank you for sharing a picture of him.

Tim
"Living the Dream"
BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Post by BigPanzer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:21 pm

Hi Samuel,

I wish you good luck tomorrow, but please be wary. The energy level of a year old Collie is incredible and can you cope with it? Can you give it the level of physical exercise and mental stimulation that it needs in order to remain a well behaved, non destructive companion with the level of mutual trust you obviously had with Bryher?
When Kam came to us it was only because he was past his first flush of youth that we were able to cope with him and even so we had one or two problems keeping him occupied both mentally and physically. As his mental state and his physical fitness improved he seemed to get younger.
Also remember that it takes any rescue dog some time to settle down in a new home and during the settling in period you may not see the "real" dog.

I hope it works out for you because a home with no dog is an empty home, but as with buying a Bongo, go forward with your head not your heart, no matter how difficult that is.

Peter
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:24 pm

Hi Samuel
You won't regret getting another quickly...we got our Wolfgang for a playmate for Willow only weeks after our Shnozzle had to be put down...8 years on, nearly, and I'm still broken up over him...he was an extraordinary dog....born in our house, and died at a few weeks old...we gave him CPR and he came alive...and somehow, I think he thought he was human, as we were the first things he saw when he came alive again!...Dogs are just so much a part of life, aren't they!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
al & chris
Tribal Elder

Post by al & chris » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:37 pm

A dog is a best friend as is ours . 16 yr old we are both self employed so our work we take on revolves around Sophie our dog so we don't have to leave her. She even works with some of the children and young adults we work with and they love her especially the people with disabilities. Dogs are so loyal the look in her eyes at everything we do she wants to be there. I used to be scared of dogs when younger but not any more. I get up in a morning to go for a walk with Sophie I am going out now to go for a walk with Sophie, she is my wife's dog first and I am Second best . But she is still my best friend
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:23 pm

Sorry to hear this. It's obvious that us lot are a soppy bunch: what is it about dogs and campervanners?

On our 4th 'mutt' now, Martha, blonde lab of 41/2, and she sends a big woof.

All the best

Derek
samuel
Bongolier

Post by samuel » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:40 pm

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the positive heads up. When we took Bryher on she was already 12 months old that's why we've gone down the same road. Before Bryher we had a Golden Retriever as a puppy and Holly lived until she was eleven. But the puppy stage needs extra work and we just feel that slightly older dogs are more suited to us as a starting point.

just looking forward to tomorrow now.

Will let you know of course how we get on.
"Living the Dream"

Return to “Bongo Furry!”