Bryher - The Blue Merle Bongo Bash Border Collie

Pets like Bongos! Anything to do with dogs, cats and other Bongo animals, you can post here. But please keep photo sizes within limits.

Moderator: helen&tony

samuel
Bongolier

Re: Bryher - The Blue Merle Bongo Bash Border Collie

Post by samuel » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:55 am

Bad news.

Received phone call from lady who was to bring Mabel to us and she has decided to keep her.

All our excitement is now tears again. Time to carry on searching.
"Living the Dream"
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:52 pm

You'll find one, there's one out there somewhere just for you.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Post by BigPanzer » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:05 am

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that, but if it was not meant to be................

Peter
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:54 am

Hi Samuel
Ever so sorry to hear that...I had that when looking for a shaggy lurcher...I got a stripey one instead, later:

She also doubles as a parrot!
She gets anywhere she wants, and pushes you off her chair / bed / sofa :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:35 am

BigPanzer wrote:Hi Samuel,

I wish you good luck tomorrow, but please be wary. The energy level of a year old Collie is incredible and can you cope with it? Can you give it the level of physical exercise and mental stimulation that it needs in order to remain a well behaved, non destructive companion with the level of mutual trust you obviously had with Bryher?
When Kam came to us it was only because he was past his first flush of youth that we were able to cope with him and even so we had one or two problems keeping him occupied both mentally and physically. As his mental state and his physical fitness improved he seemed to get younger.
Also remember that it takes any rescue dog some time to settle down in a new home and during the settling in period you may not see the "real" dog.

I hope it works out for you because a home with no dog is an empty home, but as with buying a Bongo, go forward with your head not your heart, no matter how difficult that is.

Peter

I agree in principle but needs of the animal overcomes the effort. When you see their plight hearts melt. My Benji was ten months old and already on the streets, starving, badly treated, flea ridden and skin dissorders, I gather taken from his mum when he was only 4 weeks old. Its a wonder he ever survived at all. He had not managed to get all the social skills he needed from his mother and sibblings due to being snatched so early from the brood.

Someone took him in on a temporary basis for the shelter who was full but they had 8 other dogs ex breeding bitches who were just running around a churned up garden. By the time I got him four months after that he definitely had issues having already been rehomed and returned within weeks for his aggresion. He was on his last week of life as he was going to be destroyed if he was not homed that week. He was in Southampton I was in Newcastle. I saw the pictues of him and before I knew it the car was packed and I was on my way. Round trip all done in one day Phew!

He still has some issues with some people, bikes and especially other dogs? He definitely has trust issues and he feels he has to compete with everything and can show aggression simply because he is frightened of everything.. The syndrome is known as 'scaredy dog' God knows what went on in his short life but I can tell you this. When he is alone with us he is one of the most loving and adorable dogs we have had.

I bought a book from Amazon called Scaredy Dog. Its a short book available on Kindle. American dog therapist and I got quite a few good tips from that.

He is adorable and well worth the effort and 4 years in he is almost there and I would do it all again. I have heard that collies do not settle down until they are 4 years old and that may be right as Benji is now very settled, still a little grumpy but not as demanding as the young dog we first picked up but anyone familiar with the breed will be well prepared.

Good luck and best wishes to all those animal liberators out there, you are doing a fabulous job. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
samuel
Bongolier

Post by samuel » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:11 pm

Well Guys how quickly things can change. After all the disappointment from yesterday I thought I would drop into our local agriculture store to check the notice board for dogs.

The outcome. We are now the proud parents of a 13 week old black and white border collie puppy called Poppy and she is absolutely beautiful. She spent the night in a cage in our bedroom and slept most of the night up until 5 in the morning which we thought was rather good for her first night.

We have had a constant stream of visitors all day to see Poppy and I will get a picture up as soon as I can remember how to do it.
"Living the Dream"
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:23 pm

=D>
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:29 pm

Brilliant! pictures please
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:53 pm

Happy days are here again :D :D =D> =D>
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:31 pm

Hi
I just love Border Collies....We'd often pass rural signs where we lived, stating "Sheep Dog Trials"....Every time, Tony would open the window of the car, and holler "The Sheep Dogs are Innocent"
Anyway, our Schnozzle was a Border Collie crossed with a GSD / Doberman cross....he was beautiful, intelligent, stubborn, and destructive in the extreme, and his nature made us forgive anything!!!... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ....you REALLY will enjoy!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
samuel
Bongolier

Post by samuel » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:54 pm

At last I've sorted out how to use photobucket again and here she is. I present to you Poppy:

"Living the Dream"
samuel
Bongolier

Post by samuel » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:07 pm

One more then

"Living the Dream"
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:23 am

Hi Samuel
GORGEOUS baby!!!!!!!....thinks.....have we got room for another dog?????....want one!!!!!
Cheers
Helen
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:09 am

Beautiful!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:03 am

Absolute beaut. =D>

Return to “Bongo Furry!”