Bryher - The Blue Merle Bongo Bash Border Collie

Pets like Bongos! Anything to do with dogs, cats and other Bongo animals, you can post here. But please keep photo sizes within limits.

Moderator: helen&tony

samuel
Bongolier

Bryher - The Blue Merle Bongo Bash Border Collie

Post by samuel » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:51 pm

Some of you will have known our Bryher, a blue merle border collie from the last 9 years of Bongo Bashes. She went everywhere with us and quite simply, 'Was one of our family. Our child'. Your kids or indeed yourself, may have taken her for a walk as she just loved kids and walking.

Just before this Christmas on Thursday 19th our Bryher passed away and left us for the great doggie heaven above. She had been unwell for a short while and at nearly 16 1/2 years old she and us had a good innings with her. That doesn't take away of course the grief we felt and still do at her loss.

Our memories of her of full of memories of fun and love and we were lucky to have such a wonderful dog in our lives. As any of you will know who owns or has owned dogs they are very special friends.

We have gone out in the Bongo but broke down in tears as she wasn't in it with us. She would always be the first to get in and if we were packing to go camping she would jump in and wouldn't get out until we got to our destination. It was hilarious.

I have written this as i know a lot of you knew her and will be sad to here this of this news.

We will replace her with another dog but she'll never be forgotten.

Tim, Jill & Sam
"Living the Dream"
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Bryher - The Blue Merle Bongo Bash Border Collie

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:54 pm

Really sorry to hear that and hope time lessens the grief.
samuel
Bongolier

Post by samuel » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:58 pm

Thanks Mike. Its still early days of course but we look back now with such fond memories and laugh at the fun we had with the antics she used to get up to.
"Living the Dream"
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:04 pm

So sorry to read this, they are a big part of the family.
al & chris
Tribal Elder

Post by al & chris » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:31 am

Don't know what to say. Our Sophie is same age . A dog is a best friend and part of the family .
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:52 am

Hi
Very sorry to hear it...what a good age, though...and some happy years!
All the Best
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
samuel
Bongolier

Post by samuel » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:12 pm

Thanks Guys

Its never easy. Why do we do it? Thank you for your acknowledgements.

Tim
"Living the Dream"
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:09 pm

Sad news. :(
I lost Ozzie a few months ago it was terrible, i said i wasnt going to replace him, that didnt last long, I now have a new puppy that ive called ozzie.
She wont replace him but she has melted my heart, she too cute for me :oops: .
Lost without my Bongo.
samuel
Bongolier

Post by samuel » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:38 pm

Hi Dave

We know what you mean and we are pleased you have a new addition to the family. We will look for a replacement but like you we will never forget.

Tim
"Living the Dream"
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:56 pm

Sorry to hear your news but just think of the good life you gave her and the good times she gave you. I know what its like to loose a dog as I rescued a few in my time. I have a beardy collie now who I rescued 4 years ago and I would like to say he loves the Bongo but any car will do.

My advice is to get another as soon as possible. I know the other one was very precious but its not a replacement its just another new journey.

maybe you would consider a poor soul somewhere who needs a loving home, there's thousands of them in kennels. Try collie rescue or a place called 'Many Tears' Don't laugh they take dogs from death row who's only crime was not being selected from a local kennel and there time is up!

That's where I got mine and he's wonderful

Good luck and god bless you
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
samuel
Bongolier

Post by samuel » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:43 am

Hi Elze

What a super looking dog you have.

Thank you for those comforting words and contact details for rescue homes. Bryher was also a rescue dog and like you we would prefer to give an unwanted dog a good home. There's a lot out there and there's rarely a problem with the dogs it normally the human element at fault for whatever reason. Previous to coming to us she had a bit of a rough time. Her tongue had a split in it which didn't look normal and she barked at anyone wearing a hat.

But she turned out to be a great dog and we treated her as one of our kids. She returned us with as much love as we gave her and we have such fond memories. She really was funny and always brought a smile to our faces.

Like you say a new dog is not a replacement but a new journey. We are looking to start that new journey very soon.
"Living the Dream"
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:56 pm

samuel wrote:Hi Elze

What a super looking dog you have.

Thank you for those comforting words and contact details for rescue homes. Bryher was also a rescue dog and like you we would prefer to give an unwanted dog a good home. There's a lot out there and there's rarely a problem with the dogs it normally the human element at fault for whatever reason. Previous to coming to us she had a bit of a rough time. Her tongue had a split in it which didn't look normal and she barked at anyone wearing a hat.

But she turned out to be a great dog and we treated her as one of our kids. She returned us with as much love as we gave her and we have such fond memories. She really was funny and always brought a smile to our faces.

Like you say a new dog is not a replacement but a new journey. We are looking to start that new journey very soon.

Well done! and thank you for choosing a rescued dog. I have always thought that anyone who takes care of a dog or rescues an animal can't be a wrongun!

I am sure you will all be very happy in good time.

Some people cannot understand why anyone would be so bereaved over the death of a dog but when I lose one I cannot speak as I am so distraught. so much so that the last time I stayed off work for 3 days because I could not speak without bursting into tears.

Unless you have had and lost an animal, no one will ever understand but in losing a close relative I would feel no diferent.

Happy New Year and

God bless you all!
BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Post by BigPanzer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:09 am

Hi,

I never knew your friend, but I know how it hurts when they pass away. We lost one of our Jacks recently and there are still photos of her on the PC that I can't look at. She too was a rescue dog (as are our other two dogs) and she suffered from a neurological problem that terminated her life at the age of 3.
I can never forget her enthusiasm for life as she woke me up in the mornings when she was young - her tail going like the clappers and her pawing at me. You could almost see her thinking "its sunrise. What are we going to do today? can we go to the beach?

But life does go on. I still have Kam the Kollie and Loopy Lady (the other Jack) who need me and there are other rescue dogs in desperate need. When we feel the time is right we will either foster again or take on another rescue dog.

Every dog that you foster or give a permanent home to leaves you with memories. Our first foster was Rocky - a Staffie Rottie cross who looked a real bruiser, the sort of dog that people would cross the road to avoid. In his 18 months of life he had been through no less that 6 homes and all had found him uncontrollable. He came to us because he had (supposedly) bitten somebody, the vet was reluctant to put down such a young healthy dog and our charity had just started up, so we got "dumped upon"
When I met him he was obviously a very miserable and insecure animal. So I put him on a lead and took him for a half hour walk, talking to him softly much of the time, correcting him gently when he got things wrong and by the time the walk was over we were firm friends.
Rocky was with us for nearly a year before the charities fairly rigorous requirements for a permanent home could be met, by which time he had passed his KC bronze and was capable of far more. When he eventually left us there were tears in my eyes.
Rocky has gone to the right home. He has fields to run in and when I saw him at his one month and six month checkups he was very pleased to see me, but made it quite clear that I was no longer his master.
He now has a job. He is a night security dog on a farm with 30,000 chickens. He takes his own lunchbox to work, firmly clamped in his strong jaws and though I still think of him often I know he is in the right place, with the right people.

Then there was Daisy. Daisy was a Staffie bitch that we took on. The last words her rather fairy headed owner told us was "she might be a little bit pregnant"

She was. But on the charities list of people who were looking for a dog was a mentally handicapped guy. We were very dubious about his ability to look after a dog and no other charity would consider him for either fostering or permanent ownership, but the charity was desperate for homes for even a short period so we thought it might be possible to home Daisy with him for a week. Apparently he was crying of his Social Workers shoulder "They'll let me have a dog"
Daisy and him are still together. We were there for the birth of 8 perfectly healthy pups and he looked after both Daisy and the pups absolutely brilliantly until it was time for them to go. One of the pups went as companion to a young girl who is mentally handicapped and is apparently doing very well and occasionally we meet other Daisy pups who went locally to responsible owners and are thriving.
We still see Daisy and her owner from time to time and they are inseperable.

There have been other dogs who have passed through our hands. All are as memorable as Daisy or Rocky in their own way, but I don't want to bore you too much with the details of each one, but every one has been a rescue and I have loved them all.

There is a big hole in you life as each one leaves you, but try to retain the memories, cry a little on occasions but move on. There are rescue dogs who need your help and though none can replace your loss because every dog is different, try bringing another friend into your life. (If anybody wants more of my softhearted sentiment, then ask and I will tell you the sad story of Kam the Kollie!)

I'm sorry if I've waffled so much, blame it on saving my bottle of old malt from the NYE vultures!

Peter
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:16 am

BigPanzer wrote:Hi,

I never knew your friend, but I know how it hurts when they pass away. We lost one of our Jacks recently and there are still photos of her on the PC that I can't look at. She too was a rescue dog (as are our other two dogs) and she suffered from a neurological problem that terminated her life at the age of 3.
I can never forget her enthusiasm for life as she woke me up in the mornings when she was young - her tail going like the clappers and her pawing at me. You could almost see her thinking "its sunrise. What are we going to do today? can we go to the beach?

But life does go on. I still have Kam the Kollie and Loopy Lady (the other Jack) who need me and there are other rescue dogs in desperate need. When we feel the time is right we will either foster again or take on another rescue dog.

Every dog that you foster or give a permanent home to leaves you with memories. Our first foster was Rocky - a Staffie Rottie cross who looked a real bruiser, the sort of dog that people would cross the road to avoid. In his 18 months of life he had been through no less that 6 homes and all had found him uncontrollable. He came to us because he had (supposedly) bitten somebody, the vet was reluctant to put down such a young healthy dog and our charity had just started up, so we got "dumped upon"
When I met him he was obviously a very miserable and insecure animal. So I put him on a lead and took him for a half hour walk, talking to him softly much of the time, correcting him gently when he got things wrong and by the time the walk was over we were firm friends.
Rocky was with us for nearly a year before the charities fairly rigorous requirements for a permanent home could be met, by which time he had passed his KC bronze and was capable of far more. When he eventually left us there were tears in my eyes.
Rocky has gone to the right home. He has fields to run in and when I saw him at his one month and six month checkups he was very pleased to see me, but made it quite clear that I was no longer his master.
He now has a job. He is a night security dog on a farm with 30,000 chickens. He takes his own lunchbox to work, firmly clamped in his strong jaws and though I still think of him often I know he is in the right place, with the right people.

Then there was Daisy. Daisy was a Staffie bitch that we took on. The last words her rather fairy headed owner told us was "she might be a little bit pregnant"

She was. But on the charities list of people who were looking for a dog was a mentally handicapped guy. We were very dubious about his ability to look after a dog and no other charity would consider him for either fostering or permanent ownership, but the charity was desperate for homes for even a short period so we thought it might be possible to home Daisy with him for a week. Apparently he was crying of his Social Workers shoulder "They'll let me have a dog"
Daisy and him are still together. We were there for the birth of 8 perfectly healthy pups and he looked after both Daisy and the pups absolutely brilliantly until it was time for them to go. One of the pups went as companion to a young girl who is mentally handicapped and is apparently doing very well and occasionally we meet other Daisy pups who went locally to responsible owners and are thriving.
We still see Daisy and her owner from time to time and they are inseperable.

There have been other dogs who have passed through our hands. All are as memorable as Daisy or Rocky in their own way, but I don't want to bore you too much with the details of each one, but every one has been a rescue and I have loved them all.

There is a big hole in you life as each one leaves you, but try to retain the memories, cry a little on occasions but move on. There are rescue dogs who need your help and though none can replace your loss because every dog is different, try bringing another friend into your life. (If anybody wants more of my softhearted sentiment, then ask and I will tell you the sad story of Kam the Kollie!)

I'm sorry if I've waffled so much, blame it on saving my bottle of old malt from the NYE vultures!

Peter

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> :D :D
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:31 am

I thought I had replied to this but it's not here, so I don't know what happened! So sorry to hear you news but Bryher had a good life with you and you had a good life with Bryher!

Cfor is now 15 and a half and is getting very blind now. She keeps losing me in the park and running in the opposite direction when she realises she can't see me close! I have to keep running after her. She wears a bright yellow coat all the time so I can see her easily but it's definitely getting worse now. She's gonna have to stay on a long lead soon or until she stops running off in a panic!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!

Return to “Bongo Furry!”