We're back!

All info and discussion about the joint meeting with the Russian Bongo Owners Club, to be held weekend of 31 July near Gdansk, Poland.

Moderator: Ian

Simon Jones
Supreme Being

We're back!

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:58 pm

I think we may be the last of the crew to make it back to the UK. We did have a problem last Monday on the way down to Krakow with coolant being pressurised causing it to over-flow. Fortunately, I made an alarm a few months ago to detect pressure build up in the expansion tank & this alerted us to an air-lock in the system as soon as the pressure cap started to lift, so minimal coolant was lost. Had a free ride on the back of recovery truck, so MPG figures should have improved :). Managed to get it sorted by Tuesday lunchtime with some telephone assistance from Tom at Bellhill Garage. Will post full details of this particular 'adventure' in the next few days (wild-camping in Polish recovery lorry yard is not something anyone else should attempt), along with pictures from the trip & some details of brilliant campsites in Germany, Belgium & Holland.

Overall, a fantastic trip, made all the better by brilliant folk from Uk & Russian clubs, as well as some amazing scenery along the way.

Simon & Coralie.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Re: We're back!

Post by missfixit70 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:44 pm

Glad to see you're back safe, hope it wasn't anything too disastrous to fix :roll:
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:57 am

Glad you got back OK & the problem was sorted in relatively short time, Bob lost his back box on one of the dodgy Polish roads. (by all accounts there was car parts strewn down the whole stretch!)
He recovered the box but was told by a Polish mechanic it would be five days by the time it was sorted!! :twisted:
He decided to press on to Germany for a bit of "voorsprung dorch"... :lol:
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:36 pm

jaylee wrote:Bob lost his back box on one of the dodgy Polish roads.
Not this one I hope!

Our exhaust nearly jumped off the rubber hangers a few times, so I'm glad it didn't fall off.
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:02 am

Nope, this one!
Some of those roads where pretty bad, i'm glad now i didn't have the lowered springs, 17 inch alloys & all the trim... :shock:

I must admit the Polish inadequate road maintenance did highlight a couple of dodgy electrical component connections on my wagon, which i have now sorted.

Nothing serious... :wink:
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
jone_it

Post by jone_it » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:18 am

Simon Jones wrote:I think we may be the last of the crew to make it back to the UK.
Nope, we're STILL outside the UK... :-) But plan to return tomorrow.

Polish roads are very different. I don't find near-Gdansk roads to be extremely bad, however if you ever need to travel Ukraine crossing Poland from West to East, I do suggest to use its new southern autobahn which starts from Dresden and Berlind entry directions and ends near Krakow. Roads after Krakow are all in good conditions, oftenly turning to non-motorway dual carriageways all way to the eastern border.

Return to “Poland 2008”