I went around the Nurburgring on my way home

All info and discussion about the joint meeting with the Russian Bongo Owners Club, to be held weekend of 31 July near Gdansk, Poland.

Moderator: Ian

motorwizard

I went around the Nurburgring on my way home

Post by motorwizard » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:56 pm

On leaving Tamora on Sunday Julia and I intended to find a campsite about half way to Dresden. This didnt happen and were were behind schedule so decided to stay at a motel. I went in and started to book but my credit cards were screwed up and blocked. I had only 80 Zlotys left as I just filled up with diesel and that was that, I found another hotel and booked a room with the Zlotys and euro much to Julias relief. After Breakfast we pushed on to Dresden, At the German border we left a poor single carriageway road onto a motorway standard dual carriageway. I had searched a site before and we found it quickly. A small site but a very helpful owner who provides a ramp to level the van. He also gave us a map of Dresden, instructions to the bus and a route plan. A family bus and tram ticket is 6 Euro. Went into Dresden to see the Frauenkirche. This is a large church that was destroyed during WW2. I went to Desden after reunification when the Frauenkirche was still a bomb site and I wanted to see the rebuilt version. It is very impressive and you can climb to the top if you are fit. The view from the top is stunning. After another night in Dresden set the gps for Dunkirk and realised that the Nurburgring was almost on route. What a wiz to take a Freda around the Nurburgring! The weekend was Oldtimer racing and there were Porsches , Mercedes and BMW getting in practice. Pity were were not allowed on the track and had to content ourselves by driving around the track on the public roads outside the circuit. A very nice trip thanks to all who took part.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Re: I went around the Nurburgring on my way home

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:16 am

lol - had the same problem motorwizard - BMW had booked the track on the day we were passing the 'Ring to go home...............had a thoroughly good time "horsing" the Bongo down the roads leaving the 'Ring though - unbelievably grippy tarmac :shock: .....got the nearside mudflap to drag on a tight downhill righthander :twisted: Then went back through the National Park "pave" route near Spa Francorchamps.........great run :)
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Re: I went around the Nurburgring on my way home

Post by Muzorewa » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:10 am

Normally the public laps on the Nordschleife are only in the evenings, during the day they have trackdays etc.

One of our crew from Spa took his lad to the 'Ring on his way back (not exactly in the right direction, I know) and couldn't get a lap because of the BMWs on track. This was about midday. He was more than a little disappointed when he learnt he would have got a lap had he waited a few hours. :twisted:

Good to watch any cars on there, though :wink:

Return to “Poland 2008”