Tailgate wanted - rust repair alternatives

Looking for hard to find bull-bars etc? Or have something to give away for free? This is the place for you! NO TRADE! NB You can stipulate postage costs when giving away items, but no selling! Items for sale go in 'Small Ads' on here, or 'For Sale' on http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/bongo.htm

Moderator: francophile1947

Werfu
Apprentice Bongonaut

Tailgate wanted - rust repair alternatives

Post by Werfu » Tue May 25, 2021 2:13 am

Hi, this is my first post since I bought my 95’ a few months ago.
I’ve just got the arches and sills done, and now looking at respraying it. However, the bottom of the tailgate door has come up with a lot of rust with several holes when I started cleaning it with the grinder. One of the corners has a very big hole looking very thin on the remaining metal.
So I wonder if it’s even worth repairing it or buying a tailgate (I can’t find one without significant corrosion anywhere). Any other fixing ideas? Thanks.
Rooflifter
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Tailgate wanted - rust repair alternatives

Post by Rooflifter » Tue May 25, 2021 10:51 pm

I can't help with the tailgate sorry but I'm about to start tackling the rust on mine and haven't checked there yet so thanks for the tip. Can I ask how much you've been quoted for the welding and respray? Some of the quotes I've had have been quite eye watering.
Propnut
Bongonaut

Re: Tailgate wanted - rust repair alternatives

Post by Propnut » Wed May 26, 2021 8:31 am

I too have a good amount of rust around the bottom surface of the tailgate and have looked at the repair / replace question. The problem as you say is finding a worthwhile replacement many being just as rusty or dented, then there is the added cost of a respray to match the vehicle. For this reason I have stopped looking for a replacement and intend to cut out my rot and weld in new metal, most of the areas are fairly flat or 2D curves so the patches will not be difficult to fabricate.

Return to “Stuff Wanted/ Free Stuff/Swaps”