Wanted: chrome wing mirror cover and auto selector strip

Looking for hard to find bull-bars etc? Or have something to give away for free? This is the place for you! NO TRADE! NB You can stipulate postage costs when giving away items, but no selling! Items for sale go in 'Small Ads' on here, or 'For Sale' on http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/bongo.htm

Moderator: francophile1947

Footballdog
Apprentice Bongonaut

Wanted: chrome wing mirror cover and auto selector strip

Post by Footballdog » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:38 am

Hello all,
Bought my first Bongo yesterday. (Facelifted 1999 V6 model).Very pleased but it has a couple of quirks which I would like to correct:

-driver's side wing mirror has a chrome cover. A little aged but that's fine. No chrome cover on passenger side W/M for some reason. I planned to simply remove the driver's side chrome cover but it seems very effectively glued on and I am concerned that I would damage/mark the underlying black plastic cover. A shiny new cover for the other side off ebay will I think look too new compared to the old. I wondered whether anyone might have a used passenger side chrome w/m cover for sale?

-plastic auto gear selector strip is broken so only reads down to R. (Bottom half has essentially split off and become detached and lost.) Mechanism underneath and plastic surround are fine and of course does not affect the driving at all. Would appreciate help in either sourcing this plastic strip or perhaps I need to buy the whole gear selector assembly? Guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Wanted: chrome wing mirror cover and auto selector strip

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:23 pm

Welcome.

Gear selector strip here:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2539084211

Had to do likewise on mine when i bought it.

Chrome mirror covers here:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2623224532

No idea of the quality but Van-x do a lot of accessories
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:19 pm

Very difficult to remove the older ones but a heat gun is the way to go, as there are lots of sticky pads/ strips fixing it to the mirror. Use a blunt pry tool and take it easy.
Footballdog
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Footballdog » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:55 am

Thank you both for your helpful and timely responses. The gear selector strip is on its way to me and I shall endeavour to remove the wing mirror cover as per advice.
Cheers.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:24 am

I put Van X Chrome wing mirror covers on my van and I rate them very highly, good product and cheaper orderd direct from them.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:13 pm

Footballdog wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:55 am Thank you both for your helpful and timely responses. The gear selector strip is on its way to me and I shall endeavour to remove the wing mirror cover as per advice.
Cheers.
I recall fitting the gear selector strip baffled me at first over how to remove the gear selector knob in order to gain access. I sussed it, so it cant be that hard, but i recall others struggling. Cant remember details but hopefully someone else on here can or else search old posts.

Return to “Stuff Wanted/ Free Stuff/Swaps”