attaching an awning

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

barney58
Junior Bongonaut

attaching an awning

Post by barney58 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:35 am

Hi guys,

I've had a quick look through numerous posts but want to make sure I get my specific question answered so I hope you don't mind the new post.

Last year we bought an Easy Camp Sebring drive away awning, when it came to pitching we just used the three clamps supplied but we're not too happy with this method as we didn't want to damage the van by over tightening them and in strong wind it blew off.

Excuse my ignorance but the rail on the side looks to be like a rain gutter? Is this what is used to connect the figure of 8 plastic strips to or do you need something else?

I think that would be more secure but I've heard people say that they are a bit tight to get on and difficult to line up when you return from a day out.

Is the solution to leave the strip on permanently (it won't come off on the motorway will it?) and also would two figure of 8 strips (one on the van and one on the awning make it easier to reattach?

Sorry for daft questions, we're still newbies at all this :oops:
Roy748
Bongolier

Re: attaching an awning

Post by Roy748 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:58 am

Hello Barney58
Yes the guttering on each side of the van is used for mounting the figure of 8 strips. I bought my single length of figure of 8 from my local caravan supplier, having a single length rather than 3 pieces makes for easier attachment. Once on they are pretty secure and I have not experienced any problems when driving on motorways. I have one on each side too, as I have a sunncamp silhouette 225 drive away awning plus a peg out sun shade.
As for lining up to re attach there are florence strips you can buy which mark where your wheels need to be upon returning. But as the awnings come with tensioner within the tunnel compartment you only really need to loosen these off which then allows more flexibility for reattachIng.
Most awnings come with an attaching strip sew in along the tunnel/van edge, this strip is fed into the figure of 8, if you have this strip, then you will only need one strip of figure of 8 attached to the gutter rail.
Hope that helps, no doubt other members will be able to pass on additional info.
Markas
Bongolier

Re: attaching an awning

Post by Markas » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:39 pm

barney58 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:35 am Hi guys,

Excuse my ignorance but the rail on the side looks to be like a rain gutter? Is this what is used to connect the figure of 8 plastic strips to or do you need something else?

I think that would be more secure but I've heard people say that they are a bit tight to get on and difficult to line up when you return from a day out.

Is the solution to leave the strip on permanently (it won't come off on the motorway will it?) and also would two figure of 8 strips (one on the van and one on the awning make it easier to reattach?
Hi Barney,
The fig of 8 strips will clip onto the gutter as you have realised. If you have to get it in 3 lengths clip the outer two on and push them towards the front and rear of the gutter rail - the natural curve at each end will hold them in place - then cut the middle length to fill the gap in the middle snugly.
My fig of 8 strips have been on the van for some 5000 miles now with no signs of shifting. you will need an additional 3 metre lengths and a keder strip like this
to link the awning to the van. The piping on both sides is 6mm thick. When you want to attach or separate the van from the awning you then only need to manoeuvre the keder strip.
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”