Exodus Roof Box on AFT

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

spud350
Bongolier

Exodus Roof Box on AFT

Post by spud350 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:33 pm

As the roof bars for a bongo are steel square box section from New Dawn, how do people attach the exodus roof box I've seen on top of them?
sotal
Supreme Being

Re: Exodus Roof Box on AFT

Post by sotal » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:54 am

I don't know about the exodus but we have a Thule which I would guess was similar. The Thule box has 4 u shaped clamps which go round the new dawn bars. They then have a quick release lever inside the box to undo or tighten the clamps. The clamps are on an adjustable rail which allows them to slide back and forth to match up with where the rails are.

The hardest thing is reaching up inside the box to do the clamps. I'm over 6 foot tall and it is a struggle without ladders. We have the long half width box as per my avatar picture. This is good on site for me as I can empty the box by standing in the step area. If you go for a full width box I think it would be difficult to empty without having ladders with you.
spud350
Bongolier

Post by spud350 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:54 pm

Thanks I want the half width. If the issue is actually putting the box up that's OK as it'll be done at home on ladders. If I do go for the new dawn full length rack I might get the ladders that go with it to take away as they break down to smaller pieces. Not keen on u-bolts attaching to square bar though.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:07 pm

Have a Google for 'C Bolts'.

They seem to fit square tube.

https://www.graphskill.co.uk/de/463-u-b ... re-c-bolts
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:04 pm

Yes they are more of a c shape - They have a flat bottom, so they fit square bars perfectly.

The Thule ones look like this:
spud350
Bongolier

Post by spud350 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:55 pm

OK, makes more sense.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:51 pm

spud350 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:54 pm If the issue is actually putting the box up that's OK as it'll be done at home on ladders.
We've had ours for 3 years now. I put the roof rack and box on in March and leave it on until October.

I stand on a chair to put the rack and box on, my wife usually gives me a hand to lift the box up - due to its size.

When camping I can reach everything out of the box by standing in the sliding door area, on the step or just above. The grab handle above the door comes in handy! I'm 6'2" though, if you're much shorter than that, then I think you might struggle to reach things if they are towards the back (middle of the vehicle). As you say a small ladder may do the job. I've seen people keep a telescopic ladder in the bongo sometimes for that sort of thing.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”