Generator Suggestions??

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

drkmn
Apprentice Bongonaut

Generator Suggestions??

Post by drkmn » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:40 pm

Hi

I recently hired a 110v generator for a couple of nights away in the Bongo where i was "off grid". It wasn't the most powerful as i mainly needed it to power a small fan heater, which it did but nowhere near full tilt and i had to use a headtorch as it wasn't enough to power the lights either.

Can anyone recommend a decent / powerful generator that's easy to transport around for those nights without an electric hookup?

Thanks

Derek
sotal
Supreme Being

Re: Generator Suggestions??

Post by sotal » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:55 pm

We had a small generator once when we had a caravan, but the noise was too much for the gain. We ended up using it just to charge up the battery, which we could do with the car by plugging it in and running so ended up getting rid of it.

All our Bongo lighting is 12v, if you stick to 12v lighting then the battery can handle that.

If it is then just heating you need, I'd look at a night heater instead. Something like an eberspacher airtronic diesel powered heater should do the job perfectly. Much quieter than a generator, much smaller, fits underneath so nothing noticeable to carry (unlike a generator) and will potentially give a better heat output than an electric fan heater.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”