Awning Wishlist

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Tony Murphy
Apprentice Bongonaut

Awning Wishlist

Post by Tony Murphy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:23 am

Hello, I'm looking through all the awnings out there and getting totally confused,
My Requirements are.
Integral Groundsheet
2 Berth inner tent
Light weight
Sturdy
decent price

Would anyone be able to suggest an Awning that fits the bill?

TIA
sotal
Supreme Being

Re: Awning Wishlist

Post by sotal » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:21 am

Is your list a definite list? Personally I'd avoid any awnings with an integral ground sheet. All the integral ground sheets I've seen have been non breathable which some camp sites won't allow as they kill the grass.

I'd much prefer one without a ground sheet, and to have a breathable awning carpet. They feel so much nicer, can be used at any site and just roll up when finished.

Where I've seen the 2 bed inner tents used, it really reduces the space in the awning. I saw one which was a similar size rectangle to ours. It then had the inner tent fitted in a square in the corner, all this left was a reduced head height corridor around the inner tent effectively only giving space for some boots etc. We've found that the awning is much better used as a living area. We set it up as a kitchen / dining room area. Obviously if you are desperate for the sleeping space then you may need the bedroom tent. We sleep 4 plus the dog in the bongo. I'm also not sure on how the bedroom tents go on sites that don't allow non breathable ground sheets as all the bedroom tents I've seen have had plastic ground sheets built into them.

In terms of light weight / stability / price. You are probably going to have to balance these out. If you want really light weight and sturdy then the price will probably go up. You might have to find a mid point where you are happy with the price and the weight isn't too high.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:04 am

Good points from Sotal.

When we used a tent with sewn in groundsheet we found it an absolute pig to dry.

Put up in garden after holiday but groundsheet always ,er, on the ground. If you fold it so the groundsheet is facing the sun something else got wet.

Much easier to dry the free standing tent and groundsheet seperately. :wink:
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:52 pm

Tony Murphy wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:23 am Hello, I'm looking through all the awnings out there and getting totally confused,
My Requirements are.
Integral Groundsheet
2 Berth inner tent
Light weight
Sturdy
decent price

Would anyone be able to suggest an Awning that fits the bill?

TIA
I have an Outdoor Revolution Movelite Cayman which would fit your bill. It's lightweight, uses a 'criss-cross' carbon fibre pole system to erect - I can put it up on my own - and is a doddle to attach to the Bongo using figure of 8 section and a keder strip. It measures 3m x 3m and has about 2.3m of headroom - see my avatar for how it towers over the Bongo!! An inner tent is available for which the clips are already provided. I have added storm tie-down straps to it, over this last weekend it happily stood up to 40 mph+ winds in an exposed location with these attached.
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:21 pm

I have just purchased a 2017 Outdoor Revolution Turismo XLS2 drive away; it has a large spacious main area with a 2 berth inner.

http://www.outdoor-revolution.com/drive ... o-xls.html

Fixing kit and canopy poles were extra, got the awning for £212 del on eBay.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”