Oil filled radiator

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

sloppy7
Bongonaut

Oil filled radiator

Post by sloppy7 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:42 pm

Off to the Scottish Highlands at the end of October and splitting our time between Hotels and staying in the Bongo. It's likely to be nippy so was looking at acquiring one of these:

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4152291? ... OQEALw_wcB

Anyone use anything similar?

Thanks in advance.

Leigh
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Oil filled radiator

Post by Bob » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:51 pm

Yep, they're fine.

Obviously you will need hook up, so no use for wild camping, but they are silent so much better than a fan heater.

You may just hear a 'click' as the thremostat pops in and out but it won't disturb you.

Idealy place it where it can't fall over, perhaps between the front seats and you're away. :D
sloppy7
Bongonaut

Post by sloppy7 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:59 pm

Thanks

One of the conditions of camping on 4 out of the 7 nights was that we stopped at campsites with a hookup and showering facilities. Hookup isn't an issue on 3 of those nights. The other campsite don't take bookings for one night so have just told us to turn up and they will see what they can do! Not mentioned that to my better half though :lol:
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:18 pm

They are ok but don't expect a boiling hot Bongo, they take the edge off. We thought it might chuck out more heat.. but we rarely have access to hook up anyway. I stay in the AFT when it is 7C at night and manage ok with good bedding. The cold face is the bit that is a bit awkward..fleece blanket over
helps.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:23 pm

I'm thinking of biting the bullet and going for the Propex so I can have heat off grid
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:54 pm

I had the Eberspacher diesel heater fitted. It sounds a bit like a jet engine when starting up but once at temperature it's barely noticeable. Gets the bongo warm quickly and keeps it there. In fact, I found it a little too warm, but good for really cold mornings! You will need a decent bit of umph in your LB to start it on a cold morning. If you've used the LB the night before, you could be running around to start the engine to be able to start the heater - defeats the object really!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”