Cheap and cheerful awning substitute...

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Cheap and cheerful awning substitute...

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:26 pm

Grabbed one of these "pop up" Gazebo's £32.00.. at first check in the garden, impressive for the diminuitive price. Weak spots are the plastic runners for the metal concertina sections, so will go easy. A bit late in season for a full testing i.e. heat reflection but might get some rain in :lol: (if unlucky)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5x2-5m-3x3m ... CxXztmiODA

Will be testing soon and will report back. Went up quite smooth, ideally need 2 people but could be done alone with a bit of shuffling about corner to corner.
The legs just peg in and there is some supplied paracord to double secure it from the top corners. Obviously more faffing than an actual awning but at £300-400 cheaper even if you broke one per season you would be quids in for a good while to come.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Cheap and cheerful awning substitute...

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:02 pm

I've read people on here saying a lot of campsites don't allow these due to a bad track record for blowing away in the wind and causing damage. Proceed with caution :?
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:05 am

Thanks for the heads up Mike I will make sure it is well pinned and not put it up in a gale, common sense shall be applied. We don't really get to many trad campsites as such (unless there is a music festival attached to it :) ) so should not be an issue, but will as mentioned proceed with care. In fact a lot of campsites should take note IMO. The prices they charge for 3 nights in peak season are sometimes more than the cost of a festival with a weekend of incredible entertainment thrown in !
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:56 pm

Worked great in very low wind. Shielded us from both rain and sun. Condensation needs wiping off before putting back in its bag. Not for windy days
but really cannot be beaten for price. I pegged it at the feet and with short supplied guys. I took it down on my own in fairly long damp grass, just need to shuffle it about a bit as suggested above.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”