Awning yawning

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

gary71gary
Apprentice Bongonaut

Awning yawning

Post by gary71gary » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:13 pm

2003 tin top. New to Bongos. I would like to put a roll out awning on the side, Fiamma? However I have hit a brick wall as to how to fit it. Do I need a roof rack first and fit to that, or is there an awning that can be fitted somehow to the van itself? Apparently there isnt a bracket available to fit to the tin top directly?Any help appreciated,.
Gary
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Awning yawning

Post by g8dhe » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:57 pm

Do you have a rain gutter ? if so then the VW-T3 clamps work fine;

Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
gary71gary
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by gary71gary » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:47 am

Yes it does have a gutter. Thank you for the info. Much appreciated.
Jimbobvfr400
Bongolier

Post by Jimbobvfr400 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:15 am

I'm not a fan of those brackets, I've seen at least 2 Bongos at meets that had what looked like the start of issues around the rear post. My guess is the weight flexes the gutter slightly which eventually allows water in, followed by rust soon after.

You can (or at least could) get better brackets that bolt on to the hooks under the Aft and are shaped to follow the roof line. The last I heard you could get them from a place called Bongo Worx (previously known as the bongo bodyshop)

The above only applies to the lifting roof model, don't think you have the same option with a tin top
Jamie, Caroline and the kids.
2002 V6 Aero AFT
WestyK
Bongolier

Post by WestyK » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:51 am

Sorry to hijack the post Gary but this question may be useful for yours as well.

I am looking to get an wind out type awning too but am looking at the F35 pro rather than the more expensive F45.
The F35 is manual ans so is much lighter but is still in a similar aluminium tube as the normal F45.

My question is are the brackets for these the same dose anyone know?

While I am at it has anyone use these?

Thanks
Ian
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:56 am

No the mounting arrangements are different between the two see the Fiamma site for installation and bracket/adaptor details https://www.fiamma.it/en/products_installation
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:37 pm

A T3 bracket for F35 is available.
be aware that there is no channel to mount a drive away awning unlike other models.
not an unsurmountable problem though.
gilly99
Bongonaut

Post by gilly99 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:12 pm

Regarding the OP...
I have a 1999 tin top, and mounted an Omnistor 2000 awning (Thule) on x3 stainless steel brackets that I had made up. No need to risk mounting to the gutter, just blind bolt or rivnut brackets onto the roof profile. The brackets leave the gutter free to drain.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j2ui625634gm2 ... 3.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zmpk2iz0z8xdm ... p.pdf?dl=0
4wd diesel, 1999 ex tintop with lowline raising roof
Keep a cool head, black ball game.
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:04 pm

Hello.
A cheaper alternative is to make the awning. I did just that purchasing 2 meters of soft PU waterproof fabric, 2 metal tent poles, some round PVC 0.6mm rod and some eyelets. Using a sewing machine it was simply a case of sewing a seam in one end to hold the rod and reinforcing the corners to take the eyelets. (I also sew hems around the sides and bottom buts thats really for aesthetics)
Whilst is does not retract into a case (although i did make a bag out of the surplus fabric) it does simply fit to my bongo using a figure of 8 strip and is pegged down like a tent would be. It's 2 meters × 2 meters and works great. Total cost around £60.
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:14 pm

Hello Gary
I wonder if this is an option
http://www.the-bus-shelter.com/index.html
They make a simple awning something like what Roy is talking about making .
I wonder if anyone on here has used them ?
Don't know if I like the roll in type as they will put extra pressure on the panels
Brian

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”