AFT cover/insulation

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

tootsmcfruits
Bongonaut

AFT cover/insulation

Post by tootsmcfruits » Fri May 05, 2017 11:55 am

So living in Scotland I thought it might be a good idea to think about a cover for the AFT to provide a bit of insulation for the colder nights and maybe stop some heat escaping from my 1996 Bongo. I've only just started looking and discovered Comfortzleisure do them (great news as I have the windscreen cover which is fab!), but it turns out because the van has roof bars the roof cover ain't gonna fit over them much to my dismay!

Do any of you lovely people have any other ideas? There's no urgency as it's going to start coming into warmer ( [-o< hopefully!) days but I just want to get an idea in mind for when I do need to get something.

Has anyone used this company: http://www.vancomfort.co.uk/Pop_up_roof ... l_wrap.htm
It does say that they do pre 1999 Mazda Bongo covers but it would be nice to know if anyone has any good (or bad) reports for them before splashing out a decent amount of money for it.
#sayhellotomylittlefriendee
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: AFT cover/insulation

Post by g8dhe » Fri May 05, 2017 12:01 pm

Rather than an external cover what about internal insulation ? It saves having to put it up and down, it doesn't get wet. It also makes the entire space lighter if you choose the right colour of material ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOdxmvxyJco&t=6s
The template etc is in the Members area here http://igmaynard.co.uk/download/rooftent.pdf
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
tootsmcfruits
Bongonaut

Post by tootsmcfruits » Fri May 05, 2017 1:01 pm

Ooh, thanks for that - it's something I never thought of! I can't get the video to work (that could be coz I'm at work... :wink: ) but I've downloaded the PDF! I may have to entail some help from a sewing friend... :D
tootsmcfruits
Bongonaut

Post by tootsmcfruits » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:27 am

The suggestion from g8dhe hasn't gone ignored - it's something I may think about in the future but need to enlist the help from a sewing friend. Looks like it would make the AFT pretty cosy! But I was hoping to get something for the outside as well to stop the rain seeping in the canvas on those particularly wet nights we have here in Scotland, and to stop the wind making the strapping flippety-flap away in the night time!

The vancomfort wrap looks like it might be a no go - due to there being some wiring and other gubbins in the gap between the canvas and the hinge I wouldn't be able to fit my hand in to tighten the wrap in with it's velcro fixing. I'm waiting to hear, but it's not looking likely.

Which means the only other option is to get the Comfortzleisure cover instead. Which also means removing the roof bars. Which is why I have some questions that I hope someone can answer! [-o<

Sorry for being a total newbie here, but I want to check that if I remove the roof bars that the holes won't leak - I've read it won't matter as the holes sit outside the canvas space so the bed won't get wet, but I was wondering if they're sealed at one end to not let any water through at all? I don't want to seal them at the top with any type of sealant because I would like to be able to have the option of putting the roof bars back on in the summer if I need to for anything. Is there something I'd need to put in there to keep the holes from getting any damage/dirt/rust etc? Or can I just put the bolts back in with rubber washers?

I've also read that the nuts screw in to a "captive bolt" - does this mean that the thread is in the hole permanently? If I loosen the bolts on the bars am I going to lose the thread on the other side making it impossible for me to put the bars back on again?
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:40 pm

The threads in the AFT should stay put, and I'd just pop the bolts back in, possibly find some shorter ones if they hit bottom. 8)

That will keep the threads clear of crud and make re-fitting the bars easier. 8)
tootsmcfruits
Bongonaut

Post by tootsmcfruits » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:56 pm

Bob wrote:The threads in the AFT should stay put, and I'd just pop the bolts back in, possibly find some shorter ones if they hit bottom. 8)

That will keep the threads clear of crud and make re-fitting the bars easier. 8)
Thanks Bob! I'll give it a bash tomorrow and see how I get on!
Gripped
Bongolier

Post by Gripped » Thu May 17, 2018 12:10 pm

Right, I can feedback on the Pucerscreen for the Bongo AFT

http://darenpucerscreens.co.uk/

The screen is essentially a durable version of sliver bubble wrap insulation. With proper stitched seams etc. The best part is the simple fitting. It only needs ONE bungee connection at the rear. The screen rolls up quite flat so doesn't take up much room. I didn't want a full roof cover, just something to improve the tent protection.

At around £130 +postage, it isn't bad value, as to make similar myself would have cost at least £50+ and my time (which is precious). Postage is a bit pricey at ~£20, but still worth it I think.

Tried it out last weekend. Fits snugly on the AFT. Stops rain and wind coming through, and provides extra sound and heat insulation. I was still a bit chilly on one night when it was <5 degrees outside, but I'm sure it would have been colder without.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Thu May 17, 2018 3:23 pm

Hi @Gripped. Most of the photos there are for the VW's, which variant of screen did you purchase or do they do a Bongo screen?
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”