Attaching Awning

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Bongoloid
Bongonaut

Attaching Awning

Post by Bongoloid » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:38 pm

Forgive this post as I know it has probably been asked a thousand times before.
We were lucky enough to get a vango galli awning last year and was advised by the seller to just throw the straps over the bongo and peg them on the other side. To be fair it worked but we were lucky with the weather i.e. No wind or rain
I am wondering if this is the best method or to try the figure of 8 method which I must admit I do find confusing.
Any advice as always is greatly appreciated
Jimbobvfr400
Bongolier

Re: Attaching Awning

Post by Jimbobvfr400 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:32 am

I've been swearing at figure 8 strup for about 6 months now, I'd been clipping it onto the top of the gutter and it's an utter pain in the bum. Constantly pinging off in windy conditions.

I'd seen others have permanently attached the figure 8 by properly snapping it on to the rail but I was put off by having an ugly piece of white plastic on my silver van.

Luckily I recently found some grey figure 8 strip so have fastened that on as a permanently channel. The middle of the gutter is straight and the figure 8 once it's on isn't that tight a fit, however the gutter curves round at the rear and starts to curve down at the passenger door opening, I used 4 x 0.75m strips. The 2 end bits I cut down slightly to fit (and shaped the ends so it looks a bit nicer and is easier to thread the beading into. The ends pieces lock into place on the above mentioned curved bits and hold the lot in place.

To attach an awning I use a double bead kador strip and an extra set of figure 8 channels on the awning itself.

I'll see if I can get some pictures as they might explain it better.
Jamie, Caroline and the kids.
2002 V6 Aero AFT
Jimbobvfr400
Bongolier

Post by Jimbobvfr400 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:40 am

Hopefully these work and make more sense.

2002 V6 Aero AFT
marionw
Bongolier

Post by marionw » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:49 am

Do you have an AFT roof? If so there is a much easier way of doing it.
If your awning has a channel for a pole in the section nearest to the Bongo, once the roof is up there are 3 metal hoops.
Thread the pole, within the awning channel, under the 1st and third hoop and over the middle one. This holds firmly.
Bongoloid
Bongonaut

Post by Bongoloid » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:22 pm

Thanks guys I appreciate the time you have taken to answer

I have a skylight roof fitted by JAL so hopefully have the 3 rings I will check in the morning but probably a bit late this time as off to Essex Thursday for the first trip of the year
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:04 pm

Bongoloid wrote:Thanks guys I appreciate the time you have taken to answer

I have a skylight roof fitted by JAL so hopefully have the 3 rings I will check in the morning but probably a bit late this time as off to Essex Thursday for the first trip of the year
Unlikely unless it's a factory AFT i think. I keep 2.4m Fig 8 strips permanently in place on my Bongo and think they enhance the look of it. Bit daft really as I've not camped in it in 2 years #-o :lol:
Bongoloid
Bongonaut

Post by Bongoloid » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:29 am

Whoops forgot to check but Mike you are probably right

Jimbobvfr400 where did you get the silver figure of 8 as mine is also silver?

What is the disadvantages throwing the straps over the Bongo to secure the awning?
Bongoloid
Bongonaut

Post by Bongoloid » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:54 pm

Think I found out the disadvantages last night in the wind and rain
Jimbobvfr400
Bongolier

Post by Jimbobvfr400 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:14 am

I got mine from a local caravan and Leisure dealer, Ebor Leisure just outside York on the A64 towards Scarborough. It was actually just a lucky fluke, despite not wanting white plastic on the gutter I'd decided I was fed up trying to wedge it on so would have bought white if that's all they had. The grey just happened to be what they had and was a surprisingly good match to the silver bodywork and grey AFT.
2002 V6 Aero AFT
Jimbobvfr400
Bongolier

Post by Jimbobvfr400 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:23 am

And to add with the straps, o found they didn't work at all with my awning and the AFT, the attachment points on the awning were in completely the wrong place.
If you have a tintop or aftermarket roof they may work, however I'd suggest some pipe insulation where the strap touches the van and I'd also suggest twisting the strap before you peg it in. My awning has similar straps for guys at the front, if I peg them straight they flap in the wind and make an awful noise, a twist or 2 before pegging stops this completely, possibly aerodynamics or something.
2002 V6 Aero AFT

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”