Drive away awning, recommendations

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Beakerboo
Junior Bongonaut

Drive away awning, recommendations

Post by Beakerboo » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:05 am

Hi, we had a bit of a disaster with our easycamp Silverstone awning this weekend, it didn't cope with the wind and rain well at all. I was thinking I should invest in something a bit more sturdy,

Does anyone have any reccomendations? It has to be easy and quick to put up, capable of handling rain and wind, possible to put in an area to sleep in as our family gets bigger (2 berth) and ideally possible to extend from for longer stays. I guess the sort of size I was imagining was around 4x3 m ish (really as I'm imaging anything bigger becomes a pain to put up more than anything else). I'm willing to spend to get a decent quality one that will last

Also, if you've any ideas on how to make the silverstne more wind proof! That'd be much appreciated as well , it had a tendency to collapse .....
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Drive away awning, recommendations

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:20 pm

You need to be careful putting it up in wind so as not to stress tbe quick-erect knuckle joints but once up the khyam motordome takes some beating for handling wind and weather. I would guess airbeam designs cope well also.
Beakerboo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Beakerboo » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:34 pm

Great thanks, does it take long to put up when you are used to it?
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:49 am

Especially for windy conditions I would fully recommend one of the Vango Airbeam awnings. They bend and flex silently in the wind without fuss.
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:23 pm

The Khyam is v quick but, until its guy ropes are pegged its vulnerable as it has integral poles and knuckle joints and opens a bit like an umbrella to give a square dome shape. Once guy ropes pegged it is fab/legendary but if windy you are best with 2 people rigging it so one can hold it steady and ensure knuckle joints not stressed while the other person pegs it. Airbeams in theory won't have this problem but they are heavy/bulky/more expensive i think and have been known on occasions to puncture/leak.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:59 pm

Have to say I was very disappointed with the Vango Kella 3. Ongoing problems we have are water penetration where the beams meet the ground sheet and there being no tension across the front sill until the inner net is zipped up.
If you go off to bed without zipping up the net and it is raining and windy the sill will fall flat and the water enters into the tent over the sill.
Nasty. :(
Forgelane
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Forgelane » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:27 pm

Outwell country road is excellent, also have one for sale at present. Only selling as bought a bigger Cayman cacos which is also an excellent awning. Both are very study in high winds.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”