What's that tarp?!

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

mycallsevern
Bongonaut

What's that tarp?!

Post by mycallsevern » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:39 pm

I recently saw some fellow Bongonauts out and about representing the Bonglovian Empire and noticed that they had a very nice orange tarp attached to the side of their van. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to ask them about it but would really like one for when I don't need the full awning. The really important thing about this tarp was that it connected to the van using a figure of 8 strip, it then had three poles at the opposite side to the van.

Please help, does anyone know what this tarp is? I have Googled myself silly and can't find it anywhere.

Thanks M.
janie
Bongolier

Re: What's that tarp?!

Post by janie » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:22 pm

Hi. Where are you based and where did you see the tarp? I have one that exactly fits your description that I made myself by sewing some kador strip to a piece of awning fabric (orange),Putting 3 eyelets on the other end and hey Presto!
mycallsevern
Bongonaut

Post by mycallsevern » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:27 pm

Hi Janie, I am based in South London, but I saw the tarp in questions at Blissfields Festival last weekend in the live in vehicle field. It was attached to a silver Bongo, I think it was an S reg unconverted and they has two small children with them.
janie
Bongolier

Post by janie » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:42 pm

Not me then. My bongo is white with flowers on and it spent last weekend helping my daughter move house. :D
I think some people get their tarps from decathlon. Well priced, but you have to work out your own attachment method.
mycallsevern
Bongonaut

Post by mycallsevern » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:54 pm

I have a Decathlon tarp and for the last weekend we just tied it to the side of the van but it wasn't great. Out of interest what did you sew in to the side of yours so it would clip into the figure of 8?
janie
Bongolier

Post by janie » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:58 pm

Kador strip, sometimes called awning strip. You can buy it in camp shop or on ebay ( think that's where mine came from). You buy it by the metre. It needs patience and strong needles (I used sail needles and 'whipping twine', since I had some left over from mending sails
mycallsevern
Bongonaut

Post by mycallsevern » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:02 pm

Fantastic thanks, I will have a look. Perhaps I can alter my existing tarp.
mycallsevern
Bongonaut

Post by mycallsevern » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:03 pm

Ahh looks like I have found it. I will put a link here incase anyone else is interested.

http://www.funkyleisure.co.uk/vw-camper ... 1650-p.asp
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:57 pm

Make sure a thing like that is held down with substantial ropes and pegs if there is any breeziness. Nasty reports of them getting loose and if any metal bits remain attached can do damage to both van and people as they blow right over the roof of the van or otherwise flail about.

Always think they're a tad pricey for something very DIYable, but that's just me! :lol:
mycallsevern
Bongonaut

Post by mycallsevern » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:59 pm

I already have a £20 Quecha one which I may just add a Kador strip to, you are right though when we were away the other weekend using the tarp we had three pegs in each guy to keep it from blowing away. Still safer than a gazebo though.
janie
Bongolier

Post by janie » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:04 pm

I've seen the vw ones on here before. They look pretty good. But Mine looks exactly the same and appear from a sore sewing hand it cost a fiver :D
mycallsevern
Bongonaut

Post by mycallsevern » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:46 pm

I remember when I spent a fiver and had a sore hand {insert crude joke here} :lol:

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”