Awnings

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Bongolia
Supreme Being

Awnings

Post by Bongolia » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:19 pm

Anyone on here got one of these?
http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/Bongo ... c.jpg.html
If yes how do you adjust the height?
And are they any good ? Is there a cheaper alternative?
I particularly like the way the screens roll up from the bottom allowing the top portion to be open, are there any others that do this?
Gefail
Bongolier

Re: Awnings

Post by Gefail » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:50 pm

I've been looking at this one also, got a Cayman Snapper and want to upgrade. Narrowed it down to:
Vango kela III low
Outdoor revolution moveairlite duo or classic
Olpro loopo breeze
Can't find a stockist who has all 3 on display.
Interested to know what your decide on.
I agree with the blinds, ours are other way about.
02-07-1999 TinTop 2WD Oil Guzzler with Hyper Seat :shock:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:20 pm

Bongolia wrote:Anyone on here got one of these?
http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/Bongo ... c.jpg.html
If yes how do you adjust the height?
And are they any good ? Is there a cheaper alternative?
I particularly like the way the screens roll up from the bottom allowing the top portion to be open, are there any others that do this?
I think most good awnings have features like this? Typically, a blind is external and can either be rolled up, or used with poles and guy ropes to make a sun/rain shield over the opening, or else partially unzipped and used as a vent in rough/v wet weather . The opening that is left may be fulled glazed, fully flyscreened, or a mixture of both. There should be a rough weather door opening and a (zippable) flyscreen opening porch feature also, for max ventilation in hot weather. These are the kind of features you want in any good awning, though they may vary in number and design specifics. Try also to get an awning with a ground-up zippable panel between main awning and connecting tunnel to avoid a major trip hazard (as was the case with my first awning).
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:53 am

Well I bit the bullet and bought one.
Easy to set up but no instructions.
Used it for a week away and going away again today to Tenterden for a long weekend.
So will give macritique when I get back. Would say though that first impressions are that its a bit dismal at night even with a bright light, feels a bit like being in a space capsule with its grey and silver interior. Would have been nicer if they had introduced a bit of color with the blinds.
And although it is the low model its a bit to high for the Bongo resulting in pocketing above the side doors. Dont bother wit the figure of eight strip it a bit of a job when reconnecting after a drive off. Get a second pole kit and drop that behind the roof staples and strap it with the Velcro tags literally two minutes to refit and the positioning its not that critical.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Re: Awnings Vango Kela III

Post by Bongolia » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:53 pm

The kit is quite comprehensive and includes a repair kit with patches for fabric and air beams, a mallet, good quality pegs, tension straps for stand alone, internal bracing straps, as well as throw over straps although how these would be employed and at the same time retaining the tunnel doors is a mystery and having an ATF not applicable. It comes with a two stage pump and a pressure gauge with an area marked in green so over inflation should not be a problem and it does have built in pressure relief valves too.
There are no instructions other than those sewn into the carrying bag and they only relate to the erection. The carry bag is of an adequate size so providing you fold it correctly as per the third party video,you will not experience the "Well it came out of there!" syndrome.
The weather we experienced in the two weeks we used the awning covered heavy driven rain,very high winds and escorchio heat so it got a good try out!
According to the Vango website standard warranty is is two years and can be be extended by one year by registering on the website to a maximum of two years #-o .
Go figure.

Build quality and materials used are good,however....
Guy lines were not attached to some of the loops leading to fair bit of head scratching initially.
Side doors could do with tension straps on door ark or Velcro adjusters .It does have elastic tensioners attached to the back edge of the tunnel but these serve to deform the door opening even more when employed and are only of any use to pull the tunnel tighter to the van sides. A word of warning-if your Bongo is fitted with window eyebrows , stick a piece of paper between the buckle and the perspex eyebrow to avoid scratching.
Although this is a "LOW" model -and the website states it is for a range between 180-210- in reality it is too tall for our-190mm floor to gutter-Bongo. Even after tensioning the door arc is very deformed and water pools in the area above the opening giving an unintentional early morning shower! Because of the distortion the zip has a propensity to snag in the seams means an early morning WoS can be quite exiting,invigorating and frustrating all at the same time especially if you are in a hurry!
There are no king poles supplied to allow the use of the front door as a porch, these are available as extras, although there are additional guy lines supplied and I assume that is what they are for?
Front beam lost air, deformed, and required 6-8 pumps to get the correct pressure back in the beam twice a day, in the morning and last thing at night.
OK this was obviously a leak,as the back beam remained good throughout the 2 weeks of use, but this was a brand new from the supplier unit and along with the problems of the guy lines stated earlier could indicate a bit of a lapse in quality control from the factory.

Separate front door fly screen tie ups loops not present and use the main door loops or link into the elasticated retainers of the front door this creates unnecessary frustration in low light or rainy conditions trying to sort out what toggle is what. Simply adding three loops to front front beam carcass would solve this problem and allow better ventilation as the rolled up fly screen obscures the upper vent presently.
Color of interior during the day is fine but at night is dull and cold looking, colored drop down blinds would improve this to a certain extent.
No zip up blind on tent side door
Ventilation on one side under near side window another front vent under eyebrow over front door. The problem with this vent is,as stated, if the fly screen is rolled up and because there are no securing loops for the elasticated toggles, it obscure roughly 3/4 of the vent.
Why there are no separate fly screen securing loops on the front beam escapes me and in my view is serious omission and a bit penny pinching on a premium grade awning. :?
So because of this omission letting down the clear plastic screen requires the release of the fly screen. If you are doing this from inside it resembles The Dance of the Seven Veils if doing it from out side in the rain you get wet!

Raised sill levels front and rear.
Rear raised sill did catch me out a couple of times as a previous poster stated but it does prevent water ingress when in the drive away set up and you soon get used to it. In the heavy wind and rain we had the leakage came in from the front.
Front sill is insufficiently tensioned and under blowy raining conditions the rain is driven over the sill and into the tent despite securing the lower flap with velcro tabs. So the inner fly screen needs to be dropped to tension the sill thus obscuring the view.
Moving the front ground sheet centre pin-down loop point further forward toward the sill seam would resolve this to a large extent.
The "glazed" windows are heavily creased and although we had the hottest days for over 2 million years -remain so.
I did like the internal privacy blinds that zip up from the bottom so allowing light through the top and a view panel whilst providing privacy when seated inside.
Unfortunately these are only fitted to the front opener door and non opening nearside window the offside door has an external blind/door that zips from the side of the rear beam and a similarly zipped fly screen.

There is no overhead lantern hook. There is a hook on the tunnel area but this puts the lamp outside of the main compartment if the rear "door" is employed. I resolved this with cable tie around the centre support beam but a simple loop sewn into that carcass would be a more elegant solution.

Sewn in ground sheet.
At first this seemed a good idea until I was informed by a site owner that some sites do not allow these.
Anyone come across this?
If so the inability to remove this could be a restriction on those sites best to check when booking.
The attraction of the sewn in sheet was the exclusion of insects and small squeaky animal type things, during the time this awning was in use this wasn't a problem with only a determined beetle finding its way in under the front door gap,this despite being evicted once already. Not a problem if the fly screen is down.
However another unforeseen disadvantage of a sewn in sheet is when packing up. The underside of the sheet becomes wet and muddied and as you fold in this gets folded in too. On the second pitch we used the footprint mat,available as an extra, and found the mud issue not such a problem but the wet was still there. So giving us three surfaces to dry off when packing instead of one, just a thought and an issue not exclusive to the Vango.
Just sayin.

With regard to the footprint mat; you could save yourself 25 quid and use a piece of builders polythene cut to extend into the tunnel area this would serve just as well, you could even extend it to the Bongo sill, to stop under vehicle droughts and would not be as crunchy underfoot as the Vango one.
Fitting to the van.
After reading on this forum of another poster who used a two pole setup, and because of the tunnel height issue referred to earlier, we found this the a better method of securing the awning to the Bongo. Basically you fit a second pole attached using reusable cable ties,to the staples of the ATF and then use the Velcro loops fitted to the awning to secure to this. It would require the pole kit or two if you dont have an old tent pole or two kicking about.
By using this method we were able to gain, effectively, a 3 inch van height increase. This helps a little with the baggy tunnel door issue and meant linking back up to the van not so much of a precision maneuver and far faster than the figure eight loop system.
Conclusion
The appeal of the interior zip up blinds and rear tunnel doors were among the features that attracted me to this awning but the doors proved troublesome in use due to the bagginess and consequent zip snagging and in a strong wind flapped about wildly and noisily as well as looking scruffy. Not having an internal zip up blind on the side door is an omission too in my view but for me the most off putting and frustrating thing was, you have guessed this, the lack of separate fly-screen securing loops over the front opening and no detailed instructions. :evil:
I have found manufacturers generally cut down on costs by not supplying comprehensive instructions. It is surprising that a premium grade product like this is almost completely without those instructions indeed the best video instruction comes from a third party via You Tube and not from the manufacturer.
In fact when I queried a feature with the manufacturer before purchase I was refereed to a third party YouTube video!
This is laziness I feel and it needs instruction explaining what the various loops, toggles and Velcro flaps that are dotted around the awning are for. Indeed some of the complaints I have may well have been answered with proper instructions.
The links to Vango videos on their website serve only to show a generic sales video and the downloadable PDF instructions are the same as printed on the inside flap of the carrying bag. Another link to an instruction video was returning a 404 error.
Interestingly enough the opening screen of that sales video shows a VW with the low awning fitted and you can see the distorted door on there,didn't notice it at the time, on the Bongo this is an awful lot worse.
I will get SWMBO in doors to stitch in a couple of Velcro Dooh Dahs at strategic points and this should help alleviate the problem of the baggy doors. A bit. Whilst replacing the leaky beam I will get her to add in the missing front fly screen loops too but I really shouldn't have to on this price point and I will probably need to wait until it is out of warranty on reflection.

I am a bit disappointed as you may guess and I could kick myself for jumping into this purchase but I went with the general reviews and to a certain extent the price, you get what you pay for, and the unique features offered.
In short I didn't research it as well as I should have due to time constraints and should have gone and seen one erected although I don`t think I would have picked up on all the points I have raised even then. I hope this will be of help to others. Anyhow, spilt milk and all that.
I still have to contact the manufacturer about the leaky beam and to ask whether there is a more detailed PDF available so I will update about aftercare when I have contacted them.
Gefail
Bongolier

Post by Gefail » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:31 pm

Thanks for that extensive review most helpful. We have similar problems with the height and pockets of water. Paid a quater of the cost of the Kela III for the Cayman snapper, expect more for £500. Hardstanding pitches for sewn in ground sheets unless its a field pitch, some sites have timed allowances for grass killing ground sheets.
02-07-1999 TinTop 2WD Oil Guzzler with Hyper Seat :shock:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:22 pm

Excellent comprehensive review. I still think the Khyam Motordome is an excellenf bit of kit and i love mine - not that i ever use it these days hey ho :roll:
phedders
Bongolier

Post by phedders » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:44 am

I dont think the Khyam QE can be beaten. We _love_ our motordome. Everyone we camp with is jealous of the speed it goes up/down. Means I end up helping them though.... A friend turned up with a Coleman "60second" tent last year. We laughed our way through the 60minute calamity.

PS I really like the idea of air beams, but I've heard far too many reports of tents arriving with split beams, or them failing in first use. Either there is very bad QA, the beams are fragile or users incompetant. Recipe for failure no?
Location says where I am... I'd rather be justabout anywhere else! Suggestions or job offers of/in other parts of the UK gladly received...
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:40 am

Just thought I would give an update on the Awning Vango Kela 3.
Replacement beam arrived eventually, after contacting the suppliers, Funky Leisure, and being assured on a couple of occasions that one was on its way I finally decided, after two weeks, to go to Vango directly, they could find no request from Funky Leisure for a beam and they dispatched one directly, it arrived the next day. [-X

Fitting is pretty straightforward and touch wood it has stayed up for several days without a problem.
I would add that despite searching high and low I could not find the repair kit, so if you are considering one of these then check you have that repair kit.

On Thursday night, following a hot day we had a sudden downpour and winds.
When I got up in the morning I found the interior ground sheet holding loads of water that had blown in under the silly front door sill overnight, soaking my James Patterson and all the wife's magazines causing much wailing and gnashing of dentures.

I had, you see, not zipped up the fly sheet to tension the poorly designed front sill that otherwise has insufficient tensioning. :evil:
Other problems where tripping over the guy lines , these are a special "low visibility design", kind of dusk/nightime color and back pain from the two way pump-gained on the up stroke, not limited to Vango two way pumps though.

Fly screen storage problem sorted with the addition of a couple of loops and we now have a hanging point for the center light too courtesy of SWMBO.
Not tackled the baggy tunnel doors yet but found a couple of elastic straps helped with the zip snagging a bit though not ideal.

Vangos direct number that you wont find on the website is 08447707058

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”