One last thing LED interior/exterior lighting.

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

spud350
Bongolier

One last thing LED interior/exterior lighting.

Post by spud350 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:51 pm

So I got the cooler, got the awning, just done a 900 mile tour of Wales down to South Coast and the one last thing I think I need is LED lighting.

Under the awning got quite dark quickly so I was thinking of some sort of strip LED. I'll run the cable to the back ciggy lighter. Anyone done this?

Also the interior light is a bit poor. I bought all the stuff to convert it to LED but can't be bothered. Another LED strip inside I think so I can at least read.

Any recommendations?

Cheers Spud.
sotal
Supreme Being

Re: One last thing LED interior/exterior lighting.

Post by sotal » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:14 pm

The COB conversions are quite simple. The hardest one is the main light as it requires a slight modification to the board. The others were all plug and play with little adapters for me to plug them in - dead easy and probably neater than a strip inside.

I'm still yet to find the perfect solution for the awning, I'm thinking a solid bar that goes across the awning pole and plugs in via the cigarette lighter in the front, just a slight extra bit of hassle to feed the wire through the passenger window.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:32 pm

See here I stuck a couple out in the Awning after fitting them inside as replacements for the florescent tubes.
http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/Awning_lights/
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
spud350
Bongolier

Post by spud350 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:31 pm

They come across in the pics as a bit spot lighty. Think I'm going for a solid strip but ones for "campervans" are a rip off.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:49 pm

Yes they do in the pictures as the camera shuts down the Aperture to try and expose the lights/reflection correctly, leaving the rest to dark, in reality with the human eye they are fine.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
spud350
Bongolier

Post by spud350 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:20 pm

Ok thanks.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:35 pm

I used a COB in the small roof light as I removed the original lift panel this is fine ,although I have retained the fluorescent I find I never use it.
As to the awning light I did a post this morning about an awning light I have just bought from Amazon for 18.00 quid and I am well impressed I charged it and it ran on the medium setting from 11.30 last night until 8.30 this evening, not bad and very versatile to. I am currently charging it via my laptop USB and will post up the time to fully recharge.
Here is the post
http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 52#p679352
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:04 am

OK, so run time for the lamp; on medium setting 21 hours and recharge time approx 4.50 hours from a laptop USB.
Not bad.
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:25 pm

As an alternative i've used Led strips from Ikea (12v with a 240 mains adaptor) intended for under cupboard kitchen lighting. just gentle lighting. 3 strips connect to each other.
mycallsevern
Bongonaut

Post by mycallsevern » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:36 am

In my van I've run a strip across the back by the tailgate, this is spliced in to the rear courtesy light wiring and has its own switch, I got the led strip from eBay on a roll of 5m for about £7 and a rocker switch from Maplin for a couple of quid. I then decide to rip the insides out of the main light as the tube that was in there took so long to warm up it was rubbish, I wire three short strips (off the roll) to a toggle switch and then straight in to the loom. It doesn't work when the doors open but that doesn't matter as the other courtesy lights (front two and boot) are really bright so light the whole Van.

For the front and rear I just replaced then with the direct LED replacements you can buy on eBay. Here are some links to what I used, I will try to get some photos up later today.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5M-5050-Warm- ... SwjwlXBIs7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5White-Car-In ... Sw-tNXIdTh

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-5050-31mm- ... SwBPNXSVnz
mycallsevern
Bongonaut

Post by mycallsevern » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:32 am

Here's a couple of pictures of my lights installed.

Let me know if you want pictures of the wiring. M.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”