Storage boxes/bed base

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

05gt
Bongonaut

Storage boxes/bed base

Post by 05gt » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:20 pm

I have an unconverted bongo with the rear sliding bench removed for extra load carrying space. I am looking for either storage boxes or some kind of storage chest / ottoman that is the same height as the seats so they could be used as a bed base with an air bed on top. I am wondering what others use here?

The bongo seat bases are about 34cm high and so far I have seen a leather style ottoman on Amazon at 38cm height and some plastic boxes with attached lids at 36.5 cm heigh
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Re: Storage boxes/bed base

Post by Diplomat » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:19 pm

I'm using the 48 litre Really Useful storage boxes from Hobbycraft stores. They sometimes have them on special offer.
http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/really-usef ... GwodjmcAbQ

They are strong and are stackable rather than nesting, which means the sides aren't tapered and therefore there is more space in them. They are very strong compared to some competitors and have substantial lids.

The height is just right to be more or less level with the seats (I use Lidl's guest beds laid over the seat and box combo to sleep on).

Depending on my mission payload and other storage requirements (like having the fridge on board), I usually use two placed across the floor width but from memory I think there is room for three side by side aligned with the length of the van. I bought four altogether.

Slight problem is that sharks fin alongside the offside floor rail which wants to cut a hole in any box placed over it. I'm considering taking an angle grinder to it as it looks difficult to remove any other way. I certainly don't need it there.

If camping with a tent, the boxes can go out during daytime giving more leg room for social sitting on the seats.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
05gt
Bongonaut

Post by 05gt » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:18 am

The hobby craft boxes are cheaper than any of the of the other ones I have seen so good call there, thanks
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:58 pm

These are great, fold flat if needed.

http://www.plastor.co.uk/content/ref-pl ... hand-grips

Derek
05gt
Bongonaut

Post by 05gt » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:40 pm

Thanks for the suggestion of the plastor boxes too. I ended up getting a couple of the hobby craft boxes as I was passing one of their stores . Should be okay for supporting my air bed.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”