Self inflating mattress with rear conversion

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

fjj1
Junior Bongonaut

Self inflating mattress with rear conversion

Post by fjj1 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:08 am

Hi folks,

I've got a rear conversion (takes up around 50cm) and has a table which drops down on to a couple of seat box cover type seats, which form a bed when the middle row is laid flat.

Has anyone with a similar setup found a decent, thick, self inflating mattress to use in that space? I'm a little concerned as it's a bit shorter than the ±2m that most of these self infrating mattresses seem to be! Was considering a Vango comfort 10 Grande or double but worried that it may not fit at all.

Thanks,
Fraser
fjj1
Junior Bongonaut

Re: Self inflating mattress with rear conversion

Post by fjj1 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:00 pm

So I took the plunge and bought a Vango Comfort 10 Grande. Was around £50 in Decathlon.

It fits ok on the drivers side with the chair forward and tilted forward, it does overlap the centre console a little, but seems like it would be fine to sleep on. The 10cm depth takes a lot of the lumps and bumps out of the original seats.

I'm away at the weekend and will try it out properly!
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:50 pm

fjj1 wrote:So I took the plunge and bought a Vango Comfort 10 Grande. Was around £50 in Decathlon.

It fits ok on the drivers side with the chair forward and tilted forward, it does overlap the centre console a little, but seems like it would be fine to sleep on. The 10cm depth takes a lot of the lumps and bumps out of the original seats.

I'm away at the weekend and will try it out properly!
Mind your head! Unless you have an AFT.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:58 pm

I bought two single 5cm deep and 180cm long self-inflating mattresses on Amazon. Have not tried them though..
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:33 pm

Ignis wrote:I bought two single 5cm deep and 180cm long self-inflating mattresses on Amazon. Have not tried them though..
Tried them this weekend (two nights). I think 10cm deep would make huge difference. With these ones we could still feel some seat curves but definitely much more pleasant than without them. I bought Azuma from Amazon. They are quite heavy and take up space but look sturdy. Hope they'll last.
05gt
Bongonaut

Post by 05gt » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:40 pm

Hmm, I have ordered a Coleman comfort air bed but didn't check the height ( just checked width and length) Now looked and it says it is 17 cm which might be a bit high on top of the seats! It is in the post to me know though.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:29 pm

Ignis wrote:
Ignis wrote:I bought two single 5cm deep and 180cm long self-inflating mattresses on Amazon. Have not tried them though..
Tried them this weekend (two nights). I think 10cm deep would make huge difference. With these ones we could still feel some seat curves but definitely much more pleasant than without them. I bought Azuma from Amazon. They are quite heavy and take up space but look sturdy. Hope they'll last.
We tried 10cm ones purchased through Amazon. Can't remember the make but not Azuma. They were comfy but repeatedly didn't last. I also found them surprisingly bulky when deflated and needed a bit of work folding, rolling, squeezing to fully deflate. Paid around £60 for two. Because of the unreliability we reverted to thinner Thermarest mattresses which aren't quite as comfy but still amazing considering how thin they are. These are much easier/quicker to pack away, have lasted 3 years of Bongo use (one of them is over 10 yrs old) and cost more than twice the first mattresses. So I recommend using the well known "quality" makes like Thermarest and Vango if you can afford it.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”