Seen at The Bash: Tailgate awning, reversible seat etc.

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Seen at The Bash: Tailgate awning, reversible seat etc.

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:52 pm

Apart from all the good stuff at comfortzleisures stand (quality mattresses, AFT covers, privacy rooms etc.) I came across a couple of neat Bongo offerings at this years Bash. First, a tailgate awning - something I've been hoping someone would have a go at for years. This one is from an outfit who are custom making them to order and buyers can choose from a range of colours. Decent quality waterproof ripstock nylon seems to be the material, stitching looks good, and only outstanding bits of design to be sorted as far as I cold see are zip position and sturdiness, spring poles (essential if tailgate is not to be strained/damaged when getting in and out of Bongo and suspension dips), and possibly magnetic strips to hold awning against Bongo sides. Very tempted to buy one when these details have been sorted. Here's a couple of pics I took (click to enlarge):

The other neat item was a reversible passenger seat. Great for extra seating, dog bed etc etc and v quick and easy to turn seat around by withdrawing two sturdy pins, turning seat through 180 degrees, then re-inserting the pins. I found head height marginal for a 6' person like me but most would be fine with it. Pics:

You post them your seat base and they do the mod and return it. A small strip of carpet needs removing beneath modified seat in order that it can move freely when adjusted. The people who are selling these seats are also offering really nice chromed replacement grab handles for the sliding door entrance and rear passenger area.

Great to see innovative new ideas taking place for this classic car. 8)
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Seen at The Bash: Tailgate awning, reversible seat etc.

Post by Bob » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:19 pm

Now these are two seriously good looking bits of kit. Don't know how I failed to see either. :oops:

The swivel seat has been the Holy Grail since Pontious was a pilot.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:04 am

Bob wrote:Now these are two seriously good looking bits of kit. Don't know how I failed to see either. :oops:

The swivel seat has been the Holy Grail since Pontious was a pilot.
The seat conversion is well priced too I think at £220. The tailgate awning looked very nicely made, with just one or two design issues yet to sort as mentioned above. I liked the way the material covers all the tailgate, removed problems that could occur if rainwater is allowed to sit on a raised tailgate.
Mark Elvin
Tribal Elder

Post by Mark Elvin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:08 am

Where's the swivel seat base from?
janie
Bongolier

Post by janie » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:37 am

The first question asked when I was looking at the swivel seat was .....will it pass an MOT? The answer.....never been put in for one didn't fill me with that much confidence - Why don't the makers of it put it through a test? If it passes they could advertise that fact.
novocaine
Bongonaut

Post by novocaine » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:11 am

no reason for it to fail an MOT. if it doesn't wobble around like a sailor and the seat belt works then it will pass.

if it meets construction requirements is a different matter, but I very much dowt it is outside the law there either.

both look interesting, thanks for posting.
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:16 am

Interesting variation on the swivel seat theme. Not a copy of mine, but a similar mechanism. Makes a huge difference to the space in the van, and that's a reasonable price.

Was it New Dawn Conversions doing these?
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:29 pm

Regarding the swivel seat, I had a look too. He did say it's not crash-tested yet, so that may make a difference until it is.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:47 pm

Can't see that the cost of "crash testing" is ever likely to be viable for a mod like this, not sure what the cost would be, but I would think several hundred grand would be in the right order??
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:53 pm

What do insurance companies make of it?
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:42 pm

rear awning might do the job for me .....price dependent...and as Riemo in Germany have them too and the € rate is very very good...these will have to come out at a very competitive price.... These are £116 at current exchange #justsaying

I now have an across the rear conversion with reversed middle seat so the swivel seat is not on my list and to be honest...the price of it wouldn't inspire me to purchase one.... but as I always say...yer pays yer money....
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
notlob
Bongolier

Post by notlob » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:23 pm

mikexgough wrote:rear awning might do the job for me .....price dependent...and as Riemo in Germany have them too and the € rate is very very good...these will have to come out at a very competitive price.... These are £116 at current exchange #justsaying

Hmmmmmm.

Now I could be wrong (and please correct me if I am) but seem to recall a tentative price of £320 shown!!!!!!!!

Dave
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:27 pm

Mick
is the vito version better suited than the T5 to a Bongo

http://www.reimo.com/en/936281-rear_ten ... necessary/
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:40 pm

mikexgough wrote:rear awning might do the job for me .....price dependent...and as Riemo in Germany have them too and the € rate is very very good...these will have to come out at a very competitive price.... These are £116 at current exchange #justsaying

I now have an across the rear conversion with reversed middle seat so the swivel seat is not on my list and to be honest...the price of it wouldn't inspire me to purchase one.... but as I always say...yer pays yer money....
Yes the Bongo one is not cheap at £320 but it looks light, compact and tailored specifically as a quick throwover enclosure for the Bongo. And they will I think be individually hand made and in a choice of client colour. As said, design needs a little refining but I liked the idea overall and might consider paying a premium for that.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:44 pm

g8dhe wrote:Can't see that the cost of "crash testing" is ever likely to be viable for a mod like this, not sure what the cost would be, but I would think several hundred grand would be in the right order??
I think that's the problem. Can't think it would be an mot problem but may need to check with insurers though it looked well made and hard to see how it would compromise passenger safety esp since its the seat belt that restrains the occupant and not the seat. Yes I think it was new dawn conversions who were doing them.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”