Fiamma awning with side lifting roof

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

keridavies
Junior Bongonaut

Fiamma awning with side lifting roof

Post by keridavies » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:04 pm

I've got the JAL mushroom roof, which opens from the passenger door side, and I'd like to get a Fiamma 45s awning.

Does anyone have any experience with this combination - or a similar one?

When travelling solo, I won't be able to lift the roof from the centre as usual, but I've been experimenting and I can lift it with a pole from the rear corner, and then the gas struts do the rest.

Tucking the vinyl back under the closing roof might be a bit fiddly, as I'll have to reach over the awning casing, but it looks doable.

But I'd welcome some advice before I shell out £500 or so!

Thanks in advance.
briwy
Supreme Being

Re: Fiamma awning with side lifting roof

Post by briwy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:56 pm

Yes, we had exactly that.
I definitely wouldn't advise lifting the roof from one corner as it will twist and sooner or later it will break something.
After a lot of faffing about trying different things we just pushed it up from inside, not easy but quite possible. I then fastened a webbing loop onto the inside of the roof using the bolts that hold the outside eye in place. You can then carefully pull the roof down and take the weight as it comes down.
Hope this helps.
keridavies
Junior Bongonaut

Re: Fiamma awning with side lifting roof

Post by keridavies » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:15 pm

From the inside - of course! I've just tried it and it worked perfectly.

What a great tip - many thanks.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”