Which size Fiamma awning?

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Bongo Tong
Bongonaut

Which size Fiamma awning?

Post by Bongo Tong » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:03 pm

Hi Bongonauts,

I want to get a Fiamma for my Bongo but I don't know which size to get. I believe it's the 45 but they come in various lengths. Which ones have you guys got? Any recommendations?

Bongo Tong
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Re: Which size Fiamma awning?

Post by Muzorewa » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:07 pm

Most go for the 2.6 metre. You can fit the 3.0 metre but it will overhang past the windscreen - but as well as being wider it also winds out further so you cover a much bigger area when it's deployed :wink:
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:37 pm

2.6m F35 Pro is a nearly half the weight of F45 as it doesn't have the wind out mechanism. Perfect length for Bongo roof.

Snoozie
Bongolier

Post by Snoozie » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:54 pm

Is that the Pro 250 or 270cm Simon? I cant see a 260cm in the F35.
I have read that has a manual mechanism - you walk out with it, but how do you put it back - is it spring-loaded like a blind?
Keep Calm and Bongo On!
Bongo Tong
Bongonaut

Post by Bongo Tong » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:55 am

That's interesting but it looked a bit flimsy on the web site. I have a set of Lily Pad sun and rain nets which attatch along the awning channel and a Daytonna which also slides in. Would the 35 cope with these attachments?
Bongo Tong
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:52 pm

Snoozie wrote:Is that the Pro 250 or 270cm Simon? I cant see a 260cm in the F35.
I have read that has a manual mechanism - you walk out with it, but how do you put it back - is it spring-loaded like a blind?
Mmm - dunno. I'd have to double check the length. The mechanism is basically the same as the Caravanstore model in that you unroll it by hand, pull the rafter & leg sections out from the middle of the centre tube and attach rafters to the awning cassette & adjust leg height to suit. Reverse process to put away.

You could probably attach the sides to the rafters & it has awning channel so you could fit a front panel too if you wanted. It's pretty sturdy, but I wouldn't leave it up in high winds without tie-down straps.

Bongo Tong
Bongonaut

Post by Bongo Tong » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:02 am

That's helpful. As long as it has an awning channel on the front I can the sides on using washing line props!
Does the Fiamma need additional brackets or does it fit into the gutter/rail on the bongo?

Cheers

bongo tong
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:49 am

It does need brackets and I was fortunate to get some original Japanese ones. I've since stripped the paint off and found it to be polished stainless steel underneath.

I've checked, and it is the 2.5m version:

These are the legs and rafters that fit into the centre tube. The awning channel can just be seen at the bottom:

You can use VW brackets which are a reasonable fit. This was another F35 awning I had which had them:

kingbillybongo
Bongolier

Post by kingbillybongo » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:54 am

Same as mine,best bit of kit I've bought! :D
[color=#0000BF]billybongofreedom[/color]
Marbleous
Bongonaut

Post by Marbleous » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:06 pm

Hi

I've been following this thread and have decided to order my awning tonight (f35 250) - BUT I don't know which brackets to get - can someone confirm which ones I need. I can't believe how much the brackets cost! Necessary I s'pose.

Thank you in advance

Vicky
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:33 pm

You may want to consider these custom made brackets: http://www.mazdabongo.com/catalog/awnin ... s-aft-only

They are more secure than the VW ones and no risk of awning flapping around and damaging the bodywork.
wilnx005
Bongonaut

Post by wilnx005 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:56 pm

Here's my F45i 2.5m in action at the weekend in the Cotswolds
I must admit I have the VW brackets and they're not really up to the job.
I plan to upgrade to a new matt black 2.6m fiamma shortly so thanks for the link Simon =D> Shame the original mazda ones are as rare as hens teeth!

bongojoe
Bongolier

Post by bongojoe » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:16 pm

Simon Jones wrote:You may want to consider these custom made brackets: http://www.mazdabongo.com/catalog/awnin ... s-aft-only

They are more secure than the VW ones and no risk of awning flapping around and damaging the bodywork.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but those are for the f45 only. I ordered some in error for my f35 last year and couldn't see any way to make them work. Also, they claim 'no damage' but require you to drill pilot holes and screw self-tapping screws into your Bongo.

I eventually got the VW T3 brackets for mine, which were fiddly to fit and do look like they're going to rip your gutter off. But a year, many miles and camping trips (including one in a gale) later, it's still totally fine.

Hope that helps.
1999 2WD 2.5L Diesel AFT
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:49 pm

Good point. It would be worth checking with them first. The bracket I have (which are not the same) have been used with F35 and F45 so I can't see any reason why the AVA/MazdaBongo.com ones would not fit, but I've never seen them close up so can't speak from experience.

There used to be a chap known as Rooster who made some excellent brackets a few years back, but he's sold his Bongo so may not be around much.

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... et#p417990
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:50 pm

I have a unique awning rail which is attached using stainless steel brackets (Rooster's) .These bolt to the existing mounting points in the roof. They hold a full length stainless steel plate which has twin awning rails fitted.One of these (the higher one) is for transporting a Fiamma 2.1 bag awning on the van and the other is for a side tent awning (zip on ) when not using the fiamma. Works for me
Origo bio stove - no Bongo!

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”