largest possible awning

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Paulinwales
Bongolier

largest possible awning

Post by Paulinwales » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:34 am

Hi guys, I have a royal traveller 3 awning which is a fair size 340cm x 280, but ideally want something even bigger.

I tend to park in exposed coastal spots often on clifftops so needs to be strong. The traveller 3 is steel pole and has stood up to gales before now fastened by ground anchors and rackets.

Is there anything bigger I can get. I have looked at the outwell california however its not that wide. I am considering the outdoor revolution valley lodge which is aimed at bigger vans at 2.3m height however using the fiamma I can get van to 2m doorheight so should be ok maybe need to put a strap to tunnel to tension or take up slack? Or fit to roof bars an option which gives me 2.2m height. Anyone done this?

anyone out there used this awning it measures 3.8 x 2.5m it apparently is the largest driveaway awning available in uk market according to manufacturer. And you can add extra annexxes. To either side

I was after a large space for a family to sit and eat and an extra bedroom space for kids to play without messing up the living/cooking area.

awning comes with built in storm straps and is steel framed. Anyone found anything bigger? Maybe 8 man tent and tarp?

pics here
http://www.outdoor-revolution.com/tradi ... lodge.html

cheers paul
idetika
Bongolier

Re: largest possible awning

Post by idetika » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:50 pm

Have you considered a Khyam?
The Motordome Sleeper is certainly spacious, looking on the web is appears bigger than the ones you are looking at, and ours has stood up to some good storms.

http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=791
Paulinwales
Bongolier

Post by Paulinwales » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:59 pm

That's what I though looking at pics, but when I saw one on the campsite it was only 3m x 3m essentially with a bedroom area.

Mines 3.5 x 2.7 as it is. The valley awning is 3.8 x 2.5 and its the but It's the width I really want. Plus I like the styling and expandability. I can't see the khyam standing up to force 9 which my other has a few times. Plus I heard the khyam awning skirt flap a bit? Not knocking the khyam its a good awning but the missus insists on sea views from the tent. On the most exposed surf beaches spots. It would help if I could see one of the new khyams they look much bigger than the previous ones. The one I saw was a sleeper but not a quick errect type and appeared not that big when compared with mine. On the web thp it looks much bigger is there any differences in the models?

Cheets paul
idetika
Bongolier

Post by idetika » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:24 am

I've got a Motordome Sleeper Quick Erect awning, the older blue one with the steel poles that are attached, you pop it up like a big umbrella.
Inside is big, especially if you include the tunnel that attaches to the van. We can fit in a table and chairs, cooker and stand, cupboards and chairs. If the kids sleep in the awning inner tent obviously eats into the space but you are still left with a good area for living in.
We peg out the flaps so there is never any flapping in the wind!
It is a solid tent, I think you must have looked at the fibre glass pole one that Kyham make. We also like to camp in some windy spots (Scotland/Hebrides.Orkney) and the only problem is getting it up and down if it is windy, same as any tent really.

Here's a few pictures of inside the Kyham taken from the Bongo:

Paulinwales
Bongolier

Post by Paulinwales » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:54 pm

Thanks forvthe pics. Did think seriously about the sleeper but its narrow at 3m

Found the outwell coastal road
The one before california highway
Its 4m wide and 4.5m long with attachable bedrooms
Also will standup to force 9 been an outwell so best i could find.
I'll prob fix a tarp to the front to extend the sitting out area. Has built in side windbreaks also which is a nice feature.

paul
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:11 pm

You could rent a marque and park Bongy inside it. 8)
Mark.T
Bongolier

Post by Mark.T » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:18 am

Spacemaker Tunnel? I have no idea what they're like in use, but are quite big.

There's one on eBay at the moment for £150. There's also one on Gumtree near us for £100. We considered it, but we don't need anything that big.
There's always a 'bigger picture'
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:25 pm

Not cheap but I have http://www.leisureoutlet.com/caravans-a ... ApbT8P8HAQ and cannot recommend it enough. It is 510 x 310 cm, so very large and copes with the wind brilliantly. As it doesn't have poles it bends and gives that little more, therefore coping with very high winds in a slightly different way. The first time we set it up we were very nervous. After a 50mph wind storm on a cliff in Wales we have no worries! It is also very light compared to others, as it hasn't got poles. Oh and punctures aren't really a worry - the inflatable parts are made of a inner tube like material, then double covered and only pumped up to around 7psi. Sounds weird and it might have to be seen to be believed but I would buy one again without hesitation.

Sorry it's a rubbish pic, but it's the only one I have of it in use.

Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:31 pm

I have a massive drive away awning bought from a mate who has a posh motor home it came with it as new, he didn't want it so I bought it, Its been up once too big for me I will check the name later and throw it in the sales section
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:36 pm

winchman wrote:I have a massive drive away awning bought from a mate who has a posh motor home it came with it as new, he didn't want it so I bought it, Its been up once too big for me I will check the name later and throw it in the sales section
You say posh motorhome as though the Bongo isn't posh :wink:
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:41 pm

It sleeps 7 has full leather auto satellite dish its fantastic, I have asked can I have it if he wins the lotto!
It cost more than out house when new!
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:50 pm

Fair comment then!
JoeC
Bongolier

Post by JoeC » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:01 pm

roosmith wrote:Not cheap but I have http://www.leisureoutlet.com/caravans-a ... ApbT8P8HAQ and cannot recommend it enough. It is 510 x 310 cm, so very large and copes with the wind brilliantly. As it doesn't have poles it bends and gives that little more, therefore coping with very high winds in a slightly different way. The first time we set it up we were very nervous. After a 50mph wind storm on a cliff in Wales we have no worries! It is also very light compared to others, as it hasn't got poles. Oh and punctures aren't really a worry - the inflatable parts are made of a inner tube like material, then double covered and only pumped up to around 7psi. Sounds weird and it might have to be seen to be believed but I would buy one again without hesitation.

Sorry it's a rubbish pic, but it's the only one I have of it in use.

Saw one of these awnings in the flesh ... nice. But expensive.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”