Bongo adventure

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

jimbrewer
Apprentice Bongonaut

Bongo adventure

Post by jimbrewer » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:26 pm

Dear Bongoers,

We've finally committed to a camping trip round the Western Isles in our unconverted Bongo. We usually sleep 2 adults on the seats folded down with a mattress and the 2 kids in the pop top. Then we put the remaining stuff into a pop up tent.

Was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to improve storage in and out of the bongo? Was looking at Fiamma pull out awnings, but seem expensive and I'm not sure how much use we would get (mind you, the isles can/will be wet!).

Any other (helpful) tips on touring the Western Isles would be great!

Cheers

Jim
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo adventure

Post by Driver+Passengers » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:03 pm

We also have an unconverted Bongo.

The biggest little one sleeps on a "cab bed" in the front, a steel frame with canvas "hammock" that sits across the driver and passenger door sills, with littlest one up top across the way above the cab with a single bed rail across the hatch (inner ceiling completely removed at the moment).

I made a kitchen box for the boot - the two back seats will fold down, not quite all the way but flat enough to sleep on comfortably, leaving the kitchen box in place (I intentionally made it that way so I had an extra inch or two height for the box). Its door folds down to access the drawers/cubbies, so the boot is used to cook, brew coffee, etc... whether all packed up (as pictured below) or whether the lady's still in bed. I've also got a couple of folding trestles that I can put it on in the awning. I've been cooking recently on a Trangia alcohol stove. I can fit all the cutlery, mugs, plates, bowl, stove, fuel, washing bowl, paper towel, and just about enough food for a meal or two.

Image http://www.toolbox.co.uk/silverline-783 ... 4006-69547

Inside, I made a "top cupboard" for the little things - toiletries, first aid kit, pocket junk, etc...

Asda do a great 11L clear storage box w/ lid for £3, that fits very well under the seats - I've had about 8 in various places.

http://direct.asda.com/george/george-ho ... lt,pd.html

Some ideas for you, anyway. Enjoy your trip!!
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:12 pm

Any strategies for keeping the midges out?

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:17 pm

Diplomat wrote:Any strategies for keeping the midges out?
:shock: Good thinking.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:30 am

When we went to Lewis, Harris, Skye and Lochcarron last 'summer', the rain, wind and cold kept the midges away.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:23 am

Have a look through the pics on this thread http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 37&t=34038

We went with 2 adults & 2 kids and a pop-up tent. The tent was good for storing junk or for the kids to sleep in, depending on where we were pitched. We also had an Omnistor pull-out awning which was vital for providing shelter, especially with a windbreak wrapped around the legs (see the Skye section, Harris and the first night on Mull).

It really depends whether you're wild-camping or using proper campsites, and whether you're planning on being at the same place for several nights. In our case we weren't at the same place twice, always on the move.
jimbrewer
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by jimbrewer » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:26 pm

Thanks All,

I think we won't stay more than 2-3 nights in any single place, so maybe a pull out awning would be more useful than a free standing one?

The photos are inspiring (the weather definitely was!). From friends, wild camping is well accepted in the Western Isles, so there are some good camping spots there - are any near pubs/restaurants etc. for 'facilites'?

Will look into the Asda storage bins. Its a wee bit late to manufacture the kitchen box, but looks a good idea.

Getting excited now!

Jim
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:34 pm

Have a great trip.

It's a fantastic area. :D
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:24 am

We tried to camp away from anyone else so don't know about wild-camping spots near to pubs etc. But we have a chemical toilet on board (for the women, the rest of us had to use a shovel....)

If you're maybe staying somewhere 2-3 nights, it depends what you're going to be doing during the days, are you leaving the van and going off walking or were you thinking of returning to the same spot with the van after a day's touring? If you're leaving the van, a pull-out awning is still ideal. If you're wanting to use the van during the day a driveaway awning would be better so you can leave your clutter and keep your pitch. But a driveaway awning is bulky, a pull-out doesn't take up any space.
halandjim
Junior Bongonaut

Post by halandjim » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:13 pm

I was considering one of these

http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=203 ... 0Canopy%20[Roof%20Section]

Think they do side and front panels also.
Not as expensive as Fiamma but don't know how sturdy they are.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:18 pm

That does look a bit flimsy, I can't see that standing up to any kind of breeze.

There's a reason the Fiamma & Omnistor awnings are about seven times that price :wink:
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:49 pm

Hi

Love your avatar by the way.

We're two adults and two kids (5 & 7). We take a two man tent to store the car seats for short trips, a quechua pop up 4.1 for slightly longer trips and a big outwell tent if we're going to be in the same campsite for a while.

The van is always a mess but we've learned to love it that way.

Very jealous of your trip, it's on our to do list.

Sara
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
bongolow
Bongolier

Post by bongolow » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:22 pm

I spent a month touring the Western Isles in June to early July last year. Only three days when the weather kept me in the Bongo (I was glad of the rest.. :) ) and only one evening when there were any midges about - and they were wimps compared to their sisters on the mainland.

Loads of photos on my website, starting here... http://www.lowefoto.co.uk/latest4/page681.html

I can recommend the trip to St.Kilda but it's expensive...!

Beautiful area - I'm sure you'll have a great time.
idetika
Bongolier

Post by idetika » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:53 am

We used a Quechua Base seconds pop-up tent when we visited the Outer Hebrides. We have a canopy/tarp that attaches to the Bongo but it is noisy when it gets windy and we always end up taking it down when the wind picks up.
The pop-up tent stood up to some horrendous weather when we were there, and we also had to lower the roof as it was so windy (in August!) and we all slept downstairs (2 adults, 10yr old and 6yr old) but we had the best time ever.
There was no escape from the midges, especially on Harris, but Avon skin so soft helped as did keeping doors shut and zips zipped!
Definitely travel light, we lugged the Khyam awning around for two weeks but didn't use it as we only stopped at a site for 1-2 nights. We also wild-camped at some cracking spots and made good use of a shovel instead of taking a toilet!

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”