Best Awning For Freetop

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Mark Elvin
Tribal Elder

Best Awning For Freetop

Post by Mark Elvin » Wed May 14, 2014 11:16 am

Can any of you season pro's recommend a decent side awning please for a Bongo Freetop?
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Re: Best Awning For Freetop

Post by mikexgough » Wed May 14, 2014 2:24 pm

depends how handy you are with tents..... Many love the Kyham as they "pop" up... some use Quechua bases and I have an Outwell Country road... take a look about as some Awning/Tent makers have video's of how they are erected....
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
garywbrooks
Bongonaut

Post by garywbrooks » Tue May 20, 2014 10:00 pm

I like my Outwell Country Road.. Outwell make very good quality tents which will last as long as your Bongo but they take some putting up.. Best if there is two of you and it will take you a good half hour to put it up properly.

Mark Elvin
Tribal Elder

Post by Mark Elvin » Tue May 20, 2014 10:13 pm

Ended up with a Khyam 300 due to the easyverection (who doesn't like an easy erection after all).

Going to see just how easy it is this weekend.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Wed May 21, 2014 7:48 am

garywbrooks wrote:I like my Outwell Country Road.. Outwell make very good quality tents which will last as long as your Bongo but they take some putting up.. Best if there is two of you and it will take you a good half hour to put it up properly.

Could you tell me what type of surface your awning is pitched on.

Thanks.
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Wed May 21, 2014 8:08 am

Vango Kela..even I can get it up! (Ooo arrr missis!)

Derek
garywbrooks
Bongonaut

Post by garywbrooks » Wed May 21, 2014 7:43 pm

rita wrote:
garywbrooks wrote:I like my Outwell Country Road.. Outwell make very good quality tents which will last as long as your Bongo but they take some putting up.. Best if there is two of you and it will take you a good half hour to put it up properly.

Could you tell me what type of surface your awning is pitched on.

Thanks.
Hi

The camp site was Glencoe in Scotland. They called the pitch a 'hardstanding' pitch. Basically its a gravel road. Its made for cars and caravans, perfectly level and drains water very quickly. To pitch the Outwell was not a problem as the awning is free standing, however to stop it blowing away you need special tent pegs for hammering into hardcore. They are like thick 6" nails and you can get them from most camping shops. The Glencoe camp site shop sold them as well.
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Fri May 23, 2014 9:19 pm

I have a Kyham motordome tourer which is excellent and I would recommend it highly - great for the family
However my fave is still the original ( cheerier colours - green/gold) Oztent 3 person. Great heavyweight polycotton tent ,easy to erect, but packed in a bulky six foot bag (perfect on a roof rack) but it is now very expensive and I would not buy now at the latest price
Origo bio stove - no Bongo!
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Sun May 25, 2014 4:27 pm

Forgot to say I would also investigate the new range of 'inflatable' awnings as the biggest disincentive /chore is erecting and dismantling the damned things. Inflatables used to be horrendously expensive but new technology /materials is bringing the price down and this will (hopefully) happen quicker as competition increases
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Sun May 25, 2014 4:31 pm

vanvliet wrote:Inflatables used to be horrendously expensive but new technology /materials is bringing the price down and this will (hopefully) happen quicker as competition increases
Not sure about that, not yet anyway. My Vango Kela was £420 last year, price currently is £450. Expensive, yes, but worth it for the sheer convenience.

Derek
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Sun May 25, 2014 8:17 pm

Compared to the Karstens that seems like a bargain!
http://www.campingtravelstore.co.uk/sit ... ceList.pdf

See Oztent prices !
http://www.boab.biz/oztent_home.htm

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”