AVA awning brackets - advice again please!!!

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

2newbies
Bongolier

AVA awning brackets - advice again please!!!

Post by 2newbies » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:08 pm

I am finally going to fit my F45 260 awning to Daisy tomorrow using AVA brackets. Has anyone else used these brackets? Is it possible to use these bracket without using self-tapping screws that go into the roof? I'd rather not drill holes.

I'm going to use Sikaflex 221 which I understand is a strong adhesive. Would this be sufficient on its own? Obviously the brackets will be held down by the AFT hooks.

Thanks

Paul and Claire
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Re: AVA awning brackets - advice again please!!!

Post by dave_aber » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:03 pm

I used them - I took them to my local "boy racer" stainless steel exhaust fabricator, and had him extend the plates so they went under the 2 big Mazda hooks on the roof, then drilled them to suit.

If you are doing this, make sure you measure all 3 - the rear Mazda hook sits further inboard than the front and centre one, so it needs a longer extension welded on.

One of mine also cracked over time - the rear one - so needed a wee repair. Worth keeping an eye on them as they are very slender.

Ideal brackets though.

Re. Self-tappers - Mine came with a load of Rivnuts and M6 bolts for attaching them to the roof, not self-tappers. In the end I used the Rivnuts to attach the awning to the plates, fitting them to the vertical section of the brackets.
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”