Screen suckers are rubbish

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Bongo Tong
Bongonaut

Screen suckers are rubbish

Post by Bongo Tong » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:26 pm

Anyone have any tips on getting the silver screen suckers to stick? I have some good quality screens from Nova but they are a nightmare to a attach especially to the front windscreen. I have tried spit, washing up liquid and wiping the glass with a damp cloth. Nothing works.

Bongo Tong
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Re: Screen suckers are rubbish

Post by mikexgough » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:00 pm

Buy a VW T4 outside screens from Just Campers.... easier and no condensation... and sell the inner screens to some other sucker... :wink: :lol: :lol:
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:55 pm

Fold the sunvisors round to support the top and then pile odds and sods on the top of dashboard such as shoes to provide support at the bottom. It will either stick like the proverbial or peel off just when you've turned in for the night.
blobber
Supreme Being

Post by blobber » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:01 pm

Know the feeling. Try this, if I can explain it right. Before you offer each one up, try pushing the sucker back so it's convex, put it on the screen so the centre bit makes contact, then from t'other side push it all on ..... if you get what I mean. It works for me most of the time.
Alan & Dot

Yes sir, I can Bongo !!

I now walk with an angel by my side.
cavey
Bongolier

Post by cavey » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:15 pm

I've found that some of mine are sort of turning inside out, over time. I contacted the place I bought them from, who sent some new suckers, but these are just as naff. As Simon says, sun visor and stuff on dash for the windscreen, but the side windows and boot window are a PITA. Cheers, Dave.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:50 pm

What else can we expect from sinofabricated rubbish?

Until I can source some half decent ones from anywhere, my fairly effective remedy is to lightly smear them with silicone grease.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:11 am

The doors ones are easy. Mine screens seem quite large so cover the black frame round the window so I just stick them in place and shut the doors which traps them in place. Rear one: that is a problem. My plan is to modify a length of the old fashioned springy curtain wire and fit some screw eyes in the tailgate such that acts like a big elastic band to hold it in place.

I've also got a set for the rear side windows and sliding door which make a huge difference to temperature in the van at night. The blinds hold them in place nicely so I never even both to sucker them to the windows.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:54 pm

I tuck the rear one behind the curtains. I find the front door ones the worst because I need access to the front passenger for storage. And the windscreen one peels just after you've gotten into bed!

Gonna try Simons idea
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:56 pm

I swapped the clear plastic suckers on my screens for Milenco ones. Better at sicking on the windscreen and sides. The rear window is still a problem, the heating wires seem to be stopping the stickers gripping properly. I put the lid of my conversion up to hold them in place.

I find any trace of grease on the window makes thing worse. Either oil from road fumes, or cooking fumes. A clean with some white spirit can help.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
Bongo Tong
Bongonaut

Post by Bongo Tong » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:08 pm

Thanks for all the tips. I had no idea it was such a hot topic!

Bongo Tong
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:38 pm

After you have had the screens fall on your face or feet just after you got to sleep, then you will realise it is such a hot and frustrating topic.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:29 pm

I bought suckers off eBay to use with DIY curtains. They stick solidly. Only way to release them is to furckle behind the curtain and prise an edge off the glass. Perhaps the ones being supplied with your screens are just not very good?
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Bongo Tong
Bongonaut

Post by Bongo Tong » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:15 pm

Just swapped my suckers for Milenco ones and the thermal screen attached easily! Leaving it on over night to see if it stays on. Looking good!

Bongo Tong

=D>
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:41 pm

I tried Simon's method (folding down sun visors and pushing stuff along the dash) worked a treat. Even the side ones stayed on!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
BongoGog
Bongonaut

Post by BongoGog » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:24 pm

Simon wrote: I've also got a set for the rear side windows and sliding door which make a huge difference to temperature in the van at night. The blinds hold them in place nicely so I never even both to sucker them to the windows.

Oooh ... where did you get the rear side window ones from? I got the sliding door one from Innovative campers - (part of JAL I think), dont think they did the others. Not chaep either I bet.
Rust Never Sleeps!!!

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”