Easycamp Daytona Awning - my review...

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Chris-W
Bongolier

Easycamp Daytona Awning - my review...

Post by Chris-W » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:26 pm

First, I'd like to thank Ian and co at Bongo Towers for getting this delivered to me at extremely short notice, I phoned it in during the afternoon, and it was delivered the next morning.

The first day we arrived at a site in Arras just as it was getting dark and set the van and awning up. We had already had a quick practice the previous day in the UK without pegging down, just to make sure we knew what to do.

]Image

All was well until the wind picked up in the middle of the night, then the slightly baggy tunnel started slapping about a bit, keeping us all awake. I tensioned it using an elasticated washing line, and all was well.

The next day we purchased a load of 80cm bungees in preparation the for pitching that night near Creil, just North of Paris.

This time we used the bungees to tension the tunnel in multiple directions...

This worked OK, except for reducing the tunnel diameter quite a bit. I'll be getting some custom bungees made that fit a lot better.

The tunnel detaches from the Bongo easily enough...

We never tried reconnecting it as we were leaving early the next day, I suppose we would have marked where the wheel were with tent pegs and just parked in the same spot.

We couldn't get the tunnel to stow properly...

and we would also recommend using the front door wherever possible, particularly in inclement weather, the side doors are secured best from outside. If you don't do this, you risk them coming open...

... and that lets in quite a bit of water !

Never mind, short, sharp shock and all that.

In all I like the awning, except for the tunnel, and that's not a major issue and was known about in advance anyway from reading the forum. I'd say it's good value for money, very practical, and adds a large amount of private space to the Bongo.
Furydav
Bongolier

Re: Easycamp Daytona Awning - my review...

Post by Furydav » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:42 pm

Nice review Chris. Ive used this simple we awning all summer from loch lomond to Cornwall. It light enough not to be a burden and easily assembled and packed away. Ive got myself a dozen rock pegs as most campsites tend to have hard core beneath the grass and these thing will go into anything. The other thing ivedone is stitch some velcro onto the base of the side door to keep then shut tight and stop the dog fleeing! For the price its idea. Regarding the tunnel i have used this space as storage and to cook in rather than stink the interior out so ive found it helpful. We have it down to about 10 min max to throw the awning up now.
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:46 pm

Ours is a 2012 model blue in colour, 15mins up or down is a damn site quicker than our Pennine Awning. Bought on the basis of built in ground sheet useful but remember the toggles by the doors.
Wife not all impressed by poor weather performance, the walls wip in the wind and rain getting water in the single skin tent. The tunnel is not a good fit for a Bongo and wips about in wind and pulled out of the figure of 8. Easy enough to pull up and reposition if markers used or in our case ramps pegged down.
Last trip (good weather) used the front door poles and used the tunnel as a canopy with a pop up toilet tent in the tunnel. Drive up to the side of tent no probs. . wouldn't trust this config in high winds though.
Like the zip for lecky cables.
Where to hang awning lights?
Lightweight easy to put up.
Not used any others to compare it with.
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:23 pm

the boss says
we have decided to use the pole and clamps to attach to the van
agree with use of velcro. (velcro queen)
when left we didn't roll tunnel up but pegged it down close into tent as extra protection.
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:17 am

I,ve had one for four seasons now and found it quite good. in most respects. The tunnel can be a bit baggy but I've never noticed the noise. I think it is designed for a bigger van really. Don't ever get a Caravanstore is all I can say, ;) they make a frightful noise in the wind(I know you are supposed to roll them up if it gets above a breeze but no one does.)

We had the water come through the side door this year in Scotland and it is a bit skimpy, just needs a bit of Velcro, daft design.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:20 pm

I use a suitable length (tent) pole in my tunnel to prevent water pooling due to slackness and lack of run-off. Keeps the whole thing well tensioned plus raises roof height rather than lower it. Different awning brand, but same problem.
Chris-W
Bongolier

Post by Chris-W » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:51 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:I use a suitable length (tent) pole in my tunnel to prevent water pooling due to slackness and lack of run-off. Keeps the whole thing well tensioned plus raises roof height rather than lower it. Different awning brand, but same problem.
Tried that it was still baggy at the edges, also, I did think that there was the possibility of the pole piercing the material.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:17 pm

Use one of the bendy tent poles
Tie wrapped to two strong tent pegs at bottom to stop it moving
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
Chris-W
Bongolier

Post by Chris-W » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:30 pm

Gasy wrote:Use one of the bendy tent poles
Tie wrapped to two strong tent pegs at bottom to stop it moving
Didn't have any bendy tent poles.
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:09 pm

thanks gasy
the wifes been playing with various tent poles since reading this post and has come up with a solution.
nice idea
MarcT77
Bongolier

Post by MarcT77 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:23 pm

I use one of those expandable shower poles to lift the tunnel section
HazelM
Bongonaut

Post by HazelM » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:21 am

Hi! I too use an extendable tent pole with a butchered tennis ball over the top to prevent piercing and has proved successful so far. I too have tried pole & clamps but using the extendable tent pole have found the figure of 8 works well - think it must be because the amount of slack material is reduced thus preventing water pooling and less movement when windy.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”