Bongo Roof Cover

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

hembramacho
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo Roof Cover

Post by hembramacho » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:22 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi Andrew
Club Shop...Exterior....first item...currently out of stock
Cheers
Helen
Thanks for that Helen. I did have a quick look but was obviously looking in the wrong places.
That is pretty cool. Do they remain attached whilst the AFT is closed?
ImageGwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.Image
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:29 pm

hembramacho wrote:That is pretty cool. Do they remain attached whilst the AFT is closed?
No, they have to be removed I'm afraid.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
hembramacho
Supreme Being

Post by hembramacho » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:40 pm

Ian wrote:
hembramacho wrote:That is pretty cool. Do they remain attached whilst the AFT is closed?
No, they have to be removed I'm afraid.
Ok. Thanks Ian.

Cheers

Andrew
ImageGwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.Image
spud350
Bongolier

Post by spud350 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:56 pm

About time I added to this thread because as some members may remember I've been looking for over 2 years for an outer cover (yes that was me bumping my wanted thread every month until it was finally deleted :( ). Anyway, the search finally ended not with a Mazda one but one from Comfortz Leisure who came to the rescue by manufacturing one for the later model van as well as the early model. It's a great bit of kit if you're after a cover with good quality material.
I've been after a cover because I go camping all year round so needed the extra protection, and I also hate condensation which this helps reduce. It was 8 degs on Saturday night in Hebden Bridge and I was toasty warm although I do have the inner liner as well.
It takes no time at all to put it on and 1 person can do it but it's definitely easier with 2. Taking it off takes seconds because it's a case of undoing the bungees and pulling it off. Quick shake, in the bag and job done.
I can't compare it to the original because I've never seen one. Looking at earlier comments I guess everyone has their own opinion about things but I'm chuffed with mine and it will without doubt be used on Christmas Eve on my annual trip to Haworth. Bring on the cold weather. :mrgreen:

seventiesboy
Bongolier

Post by seventiesboy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:31 am

The ones being sold by the club shop are very similar to the ones that Wellhouse make for their Hyundai. Saw these at the NEC last week and thought what a superb bit of kit. So simple and so effective. They have theirs imported from Italy.
Ian, where do you source the material from as I'd like to make some up for my van which has a different Reimo roof?
£180 seems a great price too for pure made ones
Why?...........Because somebody might wave back.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:39 am

seventiesboy wrote:Ian, where do you source the material from as I'd like to make some up for my van which has a different Reimo roof? £180 seems a great price too for pure made ones.
Speak to Richard at www.vancomfort.co.uk
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
seventiesboy
Bongolier

Post by seventiesboy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:18 pm

Ian wrote:
seventiesboy wrote:Ian, where do you source the material from as I'd like to make some up for my van which has a different Reimo roof? £180 seems a great price too for pure made ones.
Speak to Richard at http://www.vancomfort.co.uk
Thanks for that, will do.
Why?...........Because somebody might wave back.
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:51 pm

Stupid question (sorry, I am not very bright when it comes to this sort of stuff)... but if it reduces condensation then would it help with my winter mould problem??

As in, if I was to put the roof up and put this over the top, would the tenty bit (I am also not very technical) remain dry and intact?? The salt pots we normally put all over the place failed this winter.
:(

I love the look of the external front windscreen covers. They would make our lives a lot easier than stretching over the seats and arguing with the suckers... might have to wait and ask santa though. It's a bit out of our price range at the moment.
:oops:
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:31 pm

Back again for another quick question... does anyone know if the windscreen covers are reversible??

I use the bongo to go to a festival and I would be worried if I left it on the outside, it might get damaged and/or wet (most likely wet, I have never been to a dry festival yet).

The sucker things keep coming off our original set. Does anyone have these and can tell me if they can be used inside (with the attaching corners on the outside of the van)??

Thanks in advance.
stewby.
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:23 pm

I use a VW T4 external windscreen cover from Just Kampers.... http://www.justkampers.com/vw-t4-parts/ ... -2003.html
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:36 am

Hi mike...

Thanks for the reply.

Is it one that we can use "inside out" so to speak so that the screen is on the inside rather than external??

I am concerned about festival use in case it gets damaged or is removed/stolen being on the outside.
:?
spud350
Bongolier

Post by spud350 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:08 pm

stewby wrote:Stupid question (sorry, I am not very bright when it comes to this sort of stuff)... but if it reduces condensation then would it help with my winter mould problem??

As in, if I was to put the roof up and put this over the top, would the tenty bit (I am also not very technical) remain dry and intact?? The salt pots we normally put all over the place failed this winter.
:(
The only reason it would stop condensation if you weren't sleeping in it would be because you could keep the small zip open and there would be a through draft. You have to ask why you're getting condensation when you're not in it though. Is it damp in there already? Also will you be able to store it with the roof up all winter? You may find in high winds you van becomes a convertible.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:11 pm

In addition a big gust of wind ripping it off, I'd also be conncerned about about leaving the gas struts and mechanism in the open position for long periods of a time. I'd go for dehumidifier or silica desiccant if I was worried about dampness.
Jazzybhoy
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Jazzybhoy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:29 pm

Bought the Roof Cover from comfortzleisure 3 weeks ago. Only opened the package 2 days ago and realised there was a free Roof Mattress.

Tried roof cover and mattress last night and both are excellent. Would highly recommend the roof cover as it definitely kept me warmer.

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:25 pm

Jazzybhoy wrote:Bought the Roof Cover from comfortzleisure 3 weeks ago. Only opened the package 2 days ago and realised there was a free Roof Mattress.

Tried roof cover and mattress last night and both are excellent. Would highly recommend the roof cover as it definitely kept me warmer.

Had meant to post and say I used mine for the first time at the Dent meeting. Really excellent, very smart, and drew lots of compliments. Thanks to The Laird for selling it me. I think it might protect the roof in high winds too by preventing the wind from getting underneath the roof overhang.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”