Bongo Roof Cover

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

hembramacho
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo Roof Cover

Post by hembramacho » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:58 pm

loneranger wrote:Hello Andrew,I never said that I had used the original cover.All I saw was one at Looe as I stated,which did not look as good as Nicks.I was only trying to help people who were posting in search of a cover.The problem seemed to be that the original Mazda Covers did not come up for sale very often.It does not effect me personally as I have no requirement for a Cover.I sleep in the Bongo winter and summer and as I am a Tough Norterner I do not need to be papered.Cheers Michael
You did though imply the original Mazda cover was not made from a good quality fabric, which I disagree with.
I don't see how anyone can endorse or recommend a product a) without trying it themselves, whether they need to or not or b) saying it's better than another one simply because it 'looks' better! If I was to simply 'look' at the photos on the website, which would be unfair as I haven't seen one in the flesh, I could comment that it looks very heavy in comparison to the extremely lightweight original and it is simply held on by a few bungees being held by the front doors being shut! I can't even see how the rear bungees would stay on! This issue is actually what Nick was struggling with! It is also very expensive! Will it provide warmth in Winter as well as coolness in Summer - who knows? I don't sleep in the roof myself, but my 2 young daughters do all year round. Perhaps they do need a bit of extra pampering(?) though! :wink:
If this product is being advertised on the forum as an exact, if not better, replacement for the original, then I fail to see what this is being based on. The only way is for this product to be endorsed the way I see it is for it to be trialled by someone who will have then used both the new and original products and is able to give proper feedback. This is why I offered to do this during the prototype phase as requested by Nick!

Cheers

Andrew
ImageGwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.Image
loneranger
Bongolier

Post by loneranger » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:17 pm

Hello Andrew,the Mazda original may be good and you are very lucky to have one.But think about all the others who want one and they are not available.I repeat I was only trying to help people and the price is irrelevant,for if you want something then you either pay the price or live your life without it.I know if I wanted one and only Nicks was available I would buy it.It is the law of supply and demand in the modern world.I have made this choice so many times with extras for the Bongo, if I want it I pay the money and don't complain.Anyway life's to short at my age to be bothered with this anymore.Cheers Michael.
Red & Blue Advanced Driver "Bongoin in the Peak" or "Aye Up My Duck" Land
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:59 am

To me, thin/flimsy is good as it should take up less storage when folded, and all I want from an outer cover is a cheap and compact rain/wind cheater. I suspect this may have been what Mazda merchandising had in mind. Those wanting insulation could buy the internal tent liner from them. Any attempt to make and market one has to be welcomed I think, for the reasons Michael mentions. Well done Nick :-)
seventiesboy
Bongolier

Post by seventiesboy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:28 am

Just had a good look at the pics on his website and he seems to have done a good job with a reasonable price IMHO.
We made one when we had our beloved Bongo and used much lighter weight material. The design issues were how to connect to the van, particularly at the back. I would be a bit worried if the roof cover filled with air on a windy day as that could put some strain on the back bungees. We used guys as well as extra insurance and our "Bongo Poncho" worked well. The fabric weight isn't really all that essential as the main way that the covers work is by trapping an extra layer of air like a tent fly sheet does. This will insulate AND significantly reduce condensation in the roof tent in my experience. The material he has used is similar to Khyam's VW cover. The main problem with the lighter weight material was that it was rustly in the wind and also stuck to the roof with surface tension when wet! I would think he has done the right thing using heavier material for those reasons.
Well done to the man I say because this is a useful bit of kit. We loved ours and thought it worked well.
Why?...........Because somebody might wave back.
wilnx005
Bongonaut

Post by wilnx005 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:30 pm

hembramacho wrote:
loneranger wrote:Hello Andrew,I never said that I had used the original cover.All I saw was one at Looe as I stated,which did not look as good as Nicks.I was only trying to help people who were posting in search of a cover.The problem seemed to be that the original Mazda Covers did not come up for sale very often.It does not effect me personally as I have no requirement for a Cover.I sleep in the Bongo winter and summer and as I am a Tough Norterner I do not need to be papered.Cheers Michael
You did though imply the original Mazda cover was not made from a good quality fabric, which I disagree with.
I don't see how anyone can endorse or recommend a product a) without trying it themselves, whether they need to or not or b) saying it's better than another one simply because it 'looks' better! If I was to simply 'look' at the photos on the website, which would be unfair as I haven't seen one in the flesh, I could comment that it looks very heavy in comparison to the extremely lightweight original and it is simply held on by a few bungees being held by the front doors being shut! I can't even see how the rear bungees would stay on! This issue is actually what Nick was struggling with! It is also very expensive! Will it provide warmth in Winter as well as coolness in Summer - who knows? I don't sleep in the roof myself, but my 2 young daughters do all year round. Perhaps they do need a bit of extra pampering(?) though! :wink:
If this product is being advertised on the forum as an exact, if not better, replacement for the original, then I fail to see what this is being based on. The only way is for this product to be endorsed the way I see it is for it to be trialled by someone who will have then used both the new and original products and is able to give proper feedback. This is why I offered to do this during the prototype phase as requested by Nick!

Cheers

Andrew
Hi Andrew,
Sincere apologies I thought I'd done the rounds with everyone who helped out last year and of course I've overlooked yourself and Gordon (Laird) so again sincere apologies!
I’ve since been back in touch with Gordon and he’s kindly agree to give me some feedback once he’s used the topper. I’m a man of my word so I’ll gladly send you a bongo topper out for you to have a look at, just PM me your address and choice of colour and I’ll get one to you ASAP. If I’ve missed anyone else – apologies and just give me a call 01246 825873 and I’ll be only too happy to help.
Cheers
Nick
the laird
Supreme Being

Post by the laird » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:13 pm

August the 24th giving it a try out looking forward to it.the quality appears good impressed with it albeit I ain't tried it yet,got a feeling it's gonna make a huge difference in the cold etc
the laird
Supreme Being

Post by the laird » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:35 pm

Just back from glencoe aug 24th with other bongo members.was my first try out with the outer roof tent from comfortzleisure and was very pleased with the outcome,fitting the tent as per instructions was very easy even doing it on my own.pulled it back to the rear like a sock and no bother at all.had lots of comments from fellow members a nd a few other campers inc vw ones.it rained during the night but I did find the heat didn't es ape like previous without tent fitted.also noise level was a lot less .the temp did drop a fair bit during the night and this I think isa must if any persons are in the roof sleeping ESP small kids etc.in my opinion I think this is a must for the bongo and esp if like us you do ough camping and the weather we get up ere in Scotland.if any one old like to see my pics pm your email add Iand I will forward you them.also away in sept down south ,France and poss Belgium .then up north again,I will do a further report on our findings after using elsewhere.again I am very pleased and happy so far with this purchase.
loneranger
Bongolier

Post by loneranger » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:13 pm

Hello Gordon,I am pleased that the Cover is working for you,and good luck on your forthcoming trip. The phase "It does what it says on the tin" comes to mind.That was all that I was saying.Sending this from a realy hot Weston-Super-mare.Cheers Michael.
Red & Blue Advanced Driver "Bongoin in the Peak" or "Aye Up My Duck" Land
the laird
Supreme Being

Post by the laird » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:22 pm

He you enjoy Michael would like to see a pic of yours
Regards g
hembramacho
Supreme Being

Post by hembramacho » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:20 pm

Just thought I'd post some feedback on the bongo topper AFT cover.
It's different in a few ways to the original cover, but in many a good way.
The fit to the AFT is excellent, and the way it attaches makes sure it doesn't flap in the wind. There's also a 12 month warranty on the bungees that get trapped in the front doors in case they wear prematurely.
It definitely helps to retain heat during cooler nights and keeping the top AFT tent zip open cuts down on any condensation anyway.
With the original cover, the material it is made from was I believe designed to keep warm in cold weather and keep cool on hot weather as it reflects the heat. It also has a zipped opening at the front to help with letting cool air in.
I've as yet not been able to test the bongo topper in extremely hot weather as we generally get when we holiday in France every summer, so will reserve judgement on that for the time being.

To sum up, from someone who has used an AFT cover for a number of years now but who is aware how rare the original ones are, the bongo topper is an ideal purchase if you like to bongo and use the AFT during the colder months of the year. Nick also has some further good ideas on developing his product, so watch this, or his, space!

Cheers

Andrew
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:14 pm

Ah yes, but have you got windows in yours :)

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 47&t=63472
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:09 am

Hi
Without even considering the price difference, as price isn't an issue, I reckon the one in the Club Shop is better. It's neater, and you won't get any issues with fitting an awning on the side, and it doesn't look like the wind can get through!....Although, these days , I don't camp in winter (Him Indoors doesn't like it), I might get one anyway for next year's early camp-out .
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
hembramacho
Supreme Being

Post by hembramacho » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:12 pm

Simon Jones wrote:Ah yes, but have you got windows in yours :)

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 47&t=63472
Got one window on the front Simon. :D

Cheers

Andrew
hembramacho
Supreme Being

Post by hembramacho » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:12 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Without even considering the price difference, as price isn't an issue, I reckon the one in the Club Shop is better. It's neater, and you won't get any issues with fitting an awning on the side, and it doesn't look like the wind can get through!....Although, these days , I don't camp in winter (Him Indoors doesn't like it), I might get one anyway for next year's early camp-out .
Cheers
Helen
Hi Helen.
Which one do you mean in the club shop? I wasn't aware they were selling them.

Cheers

Andrew
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:43 pm

Hi Andrew
Club Shop...Exterior....first item...currently out of stock
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”