strong winds

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

MargaritaLou
Junior Bongonaut

strong winds

Post by MargaritaLou » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:00 pm

Just wondering about having the roof up in strong winds. I'm pitched right by the sea and the winds are about 20 mph, feels a bit wobbly and the roof is flapping a bit. I'm presuming it's all a bit sturdier than it feels at the moment? My first outing in weather like this!
Ian
Supreme Being

Re: strong winds

Post by Ian » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:50 pm

I'd say you are ok parking with the rear of the vehicle facing the wind. But if it gets much above 35 km/h, put the roof down.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
MargaritaLou
Junior Bongonaut

Post by MargaritaLou » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:36 pm

Thanks, have parked that way anyhow. Doesn't seem to be getting worse, just a bit gusty. Forecast is for no more than 20 mph, so hopefully will be ok!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:00 pm

MargaritaLou wrote:Thanks, have parked that way anyhow. Doesn't seem to be getting worse, just a bit gusty. Forecast is for no more than 20 mph, so hopefully will be ok!
Yes the east winds that come round an anticyclone tend to be steady and not gusty unless the topography upsets them (the lee side of hills, trees etc), so that's good. I always intended to make up a pair of storm struts for mine, but never got a round tuit. 8)
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:00 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
MargaritaLou wrote:Thanks, have parked that way anyhow. Doesn't seem to be getting worse, just a bit gusty. Forecast is for no more than 20 mph, so hopefully will be ok!
Yes the east winds that come round an anticyclone tend to be steady and not gusty unless the topography upsets them (the lee side of hills, trees etc), so that's good. I always intended to make up a pair of storm struts for mine, but never got a round tuit. 8)

Mike,get one here.... :wink:

http://www.quantumenterprises.co.uk/roundtuit/

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:10 am

Bongoplod wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:

Mike,get one here.... :wink:

http://www.quantumenterprises.co.uk/roundtuit/

Brian
Doh! I got all excited, thinking someone had brought out a storm strut for the Bongo :lol: :lol: :lol: :cry: 8)
Terri & colin
Bongolier

Post by Terri & colin » Sat May 25, 2013 12:22 am

I had mine up last week in the winds up to 60 miles per hr So not funny.. And I found out it leaks through the zips :( I soon put the roof down and slept down stairs :)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat May 25, 2013 9:50 am

For that problem just make sure all the plastic strip covers the zip on the outside, it gets bent upwards and then with a wind lets the rain in thru the zip as you have found :-( Slight warming of the plastic helps with a hairdryer if its really bad, but normally it can be re-trained to stay down over the zip with a bit of folding and smoothing!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”