12 V Cool box - are they noisy?

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

mountainmummy
Bongolier

12 V Cool box - are they noisy?

Post by mountainmummy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:01 pm

Hi

We managed all of last year without a fridge or cool box but have decided this year to buy either a 3 way fridge or an electric cool box (this appears to be the cheapest option :?: ).

I've done a bit of searching on good old google and there seem to be quite a few posts compaining about the noise of electric cool boxes.

So do any of you out there use an electric cool box and if so just how noisy are they?

Sara
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Re: 12 V Cool box - are they noisy?

Post by mikeWalsall » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:16 pm

A proper fridge is far superior than a cool box ..

A cool box is OK for short term usage as they are very 'power hungry', When I have used them, I tend to put a bottle of frozen juice or 'spar' water in ... this cools the box down and utilises space .. un like freezer packs, it can be drunk..!!

Noise wise they are on par to the cooling fan in a desk top computer .. OK when there is 'background' noise .. but more prominent in the dead of night...!!
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:49 pm

The biggest trouble is the the fan runs all the time, so unless you switch it off at night it may keep you awake.
alimey
Bongolier

Post by alimey » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:50 pm

I've got one - but I haven't used it yet. My plan is to leave it in my storage tent - so it won't disturb me.
hijimhere
Tribal Elder

Post by hijimhere » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:24 pm

I got one with the Bongo - today's the first attempt to test it - 12v cigar lighter connector - no on light, no fan running - will be looking to see if I can do anything with it.
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:41 pm

They are noisey due to the fan
I have one of these as its totally silent
http://www.jacksons-camping.co.uk/cool/minicool.htm
Problem is they are 240v only and cost £300!
Good quality cool boxes will last 16 hopurs some of the high ned Iceytec etc will last days
http://www.coolboxesuk.co.uk/
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:47 pm

hijimhere wrote:I got one with the Bongo - today's the first attempt to test it - 12v cigar lighter connector - no on light, no fan running - will be looking to see if I can do anything with it.
You do have a permanent live giggy lighter .. not one that only works when the ignition is switched on ..!!
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:58 pm

I use one all the time, mine was a cheap one and is very quiet. I just put some cool blocks in as well and its fine for a couple of days away.
Do what you like.Like what you do.
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:12 pm

No problem with noise..stick it outside at night, (still connected of course).

Derek
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:14 pm

stuc wrote:I use one all the time, mine was a cheap one and is very quiet. I just put some cool blocks in as well and its fine for a couple of days away.
Thats a good idea
oilyrag
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by oilyrag » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:56 pm

Well today I took the plunge and orded a Waeco CR-50 from Xtreme van for £420 inc delivery and VAT.. :shock:
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:29 am

Thanks for all the replies.

Although we'd love a proper fridge it'll be a cool box for us ( unless we win the lottery). Think we'd just turn it off at night.

Sara :D
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
The_Gordons
Bongolier

Post by The_Gordons » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:08 am

We have a Dometic 12V coolbox. We just stick it up in the roof at night and close the hatch so that the fan noise isn't too bad.
Bongo replaced by Wellhouse Terrier
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:49 pm

Hi Sara
How many days do you consider camping for, and what sort of campsite will you use?
Given the relevant answers, I can advise you that you may not need anything but an insulated coolbox...Apart from the occasional use of our caravans various, we've managed camping without a powered cooler for well over 20 years, and for myself, I've been camping for nearly 40 years without, and only had to throw away a couple of items of food...literally
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Rebiam
Bongolier

Post by Rebiam » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:27 pm

Hi - we have a cool box with the cooling bit in the lid which came with a normal cool box lid as well. Its called a Giostyle Trippy. We load up with cold food and blocks (or chilled bottles of sauvignon blanc if there is no room for the blocks) and if it is hot in the car we use the plug in lid to the rear socket. If it is cooler we just use the normal cool box top supplied. We always take both lids so we can lower the temperature slightly if we need to. When we shop if camping for longer we just buy a bag of ice which keeps the food cool and is useful for the sundowners. Best of both worlds. You could run the box during waking hours and swap lids overnight if noise is an issue.

Apart from extreme heat (in the UK in the summer???) I can't see you having an issue - perhaps in the South of France you might need to top up with ice a bit more frequently.

There is one on ebay now

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giostyle-cool ... 27d0d05398

Cheers
'98 Green over Silver 4WD AFT

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”