Electric Hook-Up (V6)

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Manchestermurphys
Apprentice Bongonaut

Electric Hook-Up (V6)

Post by Manchestermurphys » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:09 pm

First things first, Hi all

After being long term Bongo admirers my wife and I took the plunge and bought an unconverted V reg petrol Bongo freetop. I got it from a dealer in Birmingham. We are using it as our occasional use second car (once a week). We had it for 4 months and besides battery recharge it has behaved very well. Based in Manchester we only intend to use it weekends getaways to the Lakes, Peaks and N Yorkshire, further a field and we would need to re-mortgage to pay for petrol ..

At the moment are not intending to convert it. We are going to see what sort of mileage we do before considering LPG. But what we definitely need is electrical hook-up. My research so far has not giving me clear solution to my needs. This is where I seek the forum ' s assistance.

Unconverted Bongo V Reg Petrol (has electrical single loop powered tow bar)

Requirements:

No Fridge required (Does this remove the need for leisure battery?)

Want two 24v plugs for the following (Heater, light or charging Phones Ipads etc)

Ideally would like a hidden alternative to plastic hook up points on the side of bongo

Lighting solution when camped, worried we accidentally run the power down on battery, needing a jump start

So far I have found 4 solutions (pardon the terminology I am not technical what so ever)

1. Stick hook-up lead straight into the vehicle (£0)

Pros - Cheap

Cons - Unsafe

2. Hook-up fitted external, relays internal, presenting 2 x 24v plugs (£250)

Pros - Cheap

Cons- some people mention the use of relays as troublesome

3. Hook-up fitted external, Zig unit?, presenting 2 x 24v plugs (£500)

Pros - safer

Cons - ?

4. Hook-up fitted externally, proper caravan consumer unit, presenting 2 x 24v plugs and leisure battery (£1400)

Pros- Safest option?

Cons - Very expensive

All these options were given to me by the recommended links in the Bongo Fury website.

Ultimately we are after a solution that is safe, not too expensive and which will prevent us running down our battery.

Would welcome your thoughts.

Thank You
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Re: Electric Hook-Up (V6)

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:39 pm

I assume you mean 240 volt inputs ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Davejustice2000
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Davejustice2000 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:57 pm

Hi,
i use a standard multiplug extension lead which ive removed the plug off the end and replaced with a campsite adaptor. This is fed through a natural hole in the rear of the bongo and protected to prevent movement or damage from abrasion etc. I hook it up underneath by the tow bar. When im on site i then use a camping extension lead (orange type) which ive fitted a RCD breaker to and connect straight to the camp site mains. The camp sites tend to have RCD breakers to so its doubly protected and will trip if you overload it etc. Works great for us, and pretty safe really, cant see any issues with it, and all in all cost about £10 to knock up.

Dave
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:32 pm

Same question re 24v do you mean +24 volt rather than 12 or 240Volt AC mains ?

Personally I first look to see what can be converted to 12volts anything that charges via USB connectors then buy some of the adaptors like these http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... gh+current
Then you only need to worry about real 240volt AC devices like Kettles and similar.
If your not happy with safety aspects of running in an external lead (I'm not to keen myself on that route unless only temporary) then you really do need to go for an external flap, small consumer unit, and then charger Zig or PMS3 type setup to assist L/B. Add in as many cig. lighter sockets as required as well I have one in conversion and twin socket in AFT as well.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Manchestermurphys
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Manchestermurphys » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:28 pm

Yes sorry I mean 240volt AC sockets, so I can plug in standard household items that have a 3 pin plug.

Thank you for your views so far. I always get a varied repsonse to safety issue, I never knew it was such a grey area. Well I guess its always grey when I'm not technical.

The usb car chargers would run of my battery, great when engine running but looking for an engine off solution.

As I only to use it as a long weekend camper, I would like the sockets to be well fitted and not have any housing unit in the way. I have hear that sockets can be fitted in the rear door pockets but would include the consumer unit also? Am I being unrealistic?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:05 pm

With a Zig/PMS3 unit the 12 volt supply runs the +12vDC sockets and charges the L/B if you have one or the S/B if not!
This means that you save on the use of the two mains sockets whilst still being able to charge USB powered devices all from the mains.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:17 pm

Why not just use a standard portable camping hookup which includes an RCD and a couple of 240v sockets and feed it in through the window.
I used one a few years ago when camping in a tent to power the fridge and lights.
Manchestermurphys
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Manchestermurphys » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:39 pm

weebrian wrote:Why not just use a standard portable camping hookup which includes an RCD and a couple of 240v sockets and feed it in through the window.
I used one a few years ago when camping in a tent to power the fridge and lights.
Yes I thought so too, but I have told it is not safe to use a lead in a Bongo.
Manchestermurphys
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Manchestermurphys » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:46 pm

Davejustice2000 wrote:Hi,
i use a standard multiplug extension lead which ive removed the plug off the end and replaced with a campsite adaptor. This is fed through a natural hole in the rear of the bongo and protected to prevent movement or damage from abrasion etc. I hook it up underneath by the tow bar. When im on site i then use a camping extension lead (orange type) which ive fitted a RCD breaker to and connect straight to the camp site mains. The camp sites tend to have RCD breakers to so its doubly protected and will trip if you overload it etc. Works great for us, and pretty safe really, cant see any issues with it, and all in all cost about £10 to knock up.

Dave
Sounds prefect. But I would not be able to do this myself. I am going to ask a Auto Electrian to carry out the work
Manchestermurphys
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Manchestermurphys » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:49 pm

g8dhe wrote:With a Zig/PMS3 unit the 12 volt supply runs the +12vDC sockets and charges the L/B if you have one or the S/B if not!
This means that you save on the use of the two mains sockets whilst still being able to charge USB powered devices all from the mains.
Cheers, would I still get the 3 pin sockets using this solution?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:07 pm

Yes the consumer unit element provides two mains sockets from one outlet and the second outlet provides power to a charger, this is then used to run the 12volt electrical and charge what ever battery is used/selected hence you get the best of both worlds. However do be aware that if mains power fails and your not using a L/B then if you have other 12 volt devices running overnight then they will draw power from the S/B, hence the reason most people like to use a L/B then the S/B only gets used for starting!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:49 pm

One of the problems with no leisure battery and just a 240v hook up .. you are putting restrictions where you can camp or even stop over for a night or so on your travels ..

I do not mean particularly 'wild camping' .. but I have attended 'green field' rallies and the likes, where there are great attractions .. perfectly clean toilets .. but no lecky hook ups .. but I have found that running dedicated 12volts lighting / items works very well ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:46 pm

Garage type consumer unit £20-£30 with RCD and Two MCBs Lighting and power. Fitted inside and earthed to the chassis.

Commando Fixed Plug with cap. mounted under the vehicle. Commando extension lead, ie plug and trailing socket. Add some Light fittings and pay a sparks for a couple of hours or so to wire it all up and test it.

Doesn't include battery charging but a lot cheaper than £500.00

It is what I intend to do with mine once I get round to it.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
windywatson
Tribal Elder

Post by windywatson » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:19 pm

Hi,

As per many of the responses you have had, I would use one of the mains hook ups with sockets attached, available from camping / caravanining shops. These are equiped with RCD's and dispit your reservations about saftey it will be fine. As none of the 240v equipment is wired/earthed/manually conected to the vehicle there will be no saftey issues.
As with other members I have used one of these leads without problem. Being a qualified electrician, I can assure you that I wouldn't have done so if there were saftey issues.
The cost will start to escalate once you start to introduce caravan style power units as these include the equipment to provide liesure battery charging & spliting supplies to fridges etc.
Stick with simple until you know exactly what you want from your vehicle.

Cheers
Windy-Watson
2001 V6 Tin Top
kingbillybongo
Bongolier

Post by kingbillybongo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:01 pm

I have a camping lead with rcd screwed to the rear kitchen unit.the lead fits under the tail gate door even when shut.used mine like this for the last three years with no probs at all.it was fitted like this when the conversion was done and works really well. Not dangerous at all. Most sockets you plug into are rcd protected aswell.if they were that dangerous they wouldn't sell them to go into tents let alone campers. :?:
[color=#0000BF]billybongofreedom[/color]

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”