Porta Potty Wanted

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Bongo Tong
Bongonaut

Porta Potty Wanted

Post by Bongo Tong » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:57 pm

Can anyone reco :P mmend a portable toilet? Just a lightweight, small one for those late night and early morning calls of nature. I have seen a very cheap one on the Go Outdoor site which is just a bucket with a seat on it! I guess that would be okay as long as it's only used by lightweight users.

Bongo Tong
(Currently without a Bongo but not for much longer...)
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Porta Potty Wanted

Post by Bob » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:24 pm

I'd recommend one with the pipe to empty it on top of the tank. We got a cheap one with a cap on the back of the holding tank and couldn't get it to seal.

Went in the bin after the first trip as we got it from some distance away and it wasn't worth the fuel to take it back. Another lesson.

The simple bucket type may well serve your purpose, but I don't know how well the lid seals, (smell, risk of getting knocked over...).
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:31 pm

Bob wrote:I'd recommend one with the pipe to empty it on top of the tank. We got a cheap one with a cap on the back of the holding tank and couldn't get it to seal.

Went in the bin after the first trip as we got it from some distance away and it wasn't worth the fuel to take it back. Another lesson.

The simple bucket type may well serve your purpose, but I don't know how well the lid seals, (smell, risk of getting knocked over...).
Try one of these,£15 :-

http://www.thebrowncorporation.com/prod ... g-standard
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:10 am

There's this one:

http://www.boginabag.co.uk/buy-boginabag-products.aspx

Based on a small camping (er) stool.

Seems like a lot of cash for a small seat which, without the hole, can be picked up in Poundland, so I think I'd go for the 'Bucket and Chuckit', or better still the Porta Potti, from Thetford, at about £65 from Go Outdoors.

This will last years and you can get spares for them when needed.

Reading the reviews it seems the 'Royal', from Argos for about £55 is made by Thetford and Lidl do a Thetford one now and again.

Maybe add it to the Christmas list? :wink:
lancyman
Bongolier

Post by lancyman » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:41 am

We have a kamping khaki, which stays in the back of
The bongo. For 'upstairs' I have a cheap 1 litre nalgene
Type bottle with a wide top. Work the rest out...
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:23 am

lancyman wrote:..with a wide top..
No need to boast 8)

We've got a Thetford 335 which these days cost about £80 upwards, but Lidl often do the same model but unbranded for half that price. We've also got a Fiamma Bio Pot which we used on the boat and that cost about £50.

All depends what you want. A proper Porta Potti type thing can just be put in the van when you leave the campsite, whereas a glorified slopping out bucket will need to be emptied as you go. Mmmmm, very fresh on a warm summer evening :).
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:53 am

Agree with Simon the LIDL is just as good, and is the smallest suitable porta potty (10ltr). If you are not planning any winter trips may be worth hanging off until they come on offer.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:13 pm

I have the Camping Gaz one. It is fine but the only slight problem is that over a a period of long distance motoring flushing water (clean)gets into the bowl and can slop over the sides. It is not a problem now we know to drain it into the bottom tank now and again. We thought it was leaking at first.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
RickUK
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by RickUK » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:12 pm

Just had a look to see if Lidl's still had any of those Porta Potty's in stock but cannot see them,are they a random item that they bring in a few times a year or are they a online special ??? Can anyone help me on this one please.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:18 am

They turn up a few times during the year, but I don't expect you'll see them again until the spring when the camping season returns. If you haven't already, then sign up to their email newsletter and you'll get at least a weeks notice when they're next in stock.
Bongo Tong
Bongonaut

Post by Bongo Tong » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:43 pm

Thanks guys. I think I will hold on until the spring when Lidls get theirs in again.
BT
DILLIGAF
Bongolier

Post by DILLIGAF » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:25 am

porta poti with silica gel non clumping cat litter (from pets at home) to absorb waste. :-&
being a philosopher, i have a problem for every solution.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”