Small trailer or rear mounted Storage box

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Furydav
Bongolier

Small trailer or rear mounted Storage box

Post by Furydav » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:55 pm

When considering additional storage options ive looked at both small trailers and rear mounted boxes such as a Fiamma box on a bike rack or some of the tow bar mounted boxes.

All iam looking for is somewhere to stow the likes of a drive away awning and some smaller camping equipment outside the vehicle when travelling.

Does any any one have any views or experience of either method. ie will a trailer impact on the cost of a ferry ticket?

thanks for any advice
mentaliss
Bongolier

Re: Small trailer or rear mounted Storage box

Post by mentaliss » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:24 pm

Furydav wrote:When considering additional storage options ive looked at both small trailers and rear mounted boxes such as a Fiamma box on a bike rack or some of the tow bar mounted boxes.

All iam looking for is somewhere to stow the likes of a drive away awning and some smaller camping equipment outside the vehicle when travelling.

Does any any one have any views or experience of either method. ie will a trailer impact on the cost of a ferry ticket?

thanks for any advice
We have just come back from touring France, Italy, and Sicily utilising our tow bar mounted 'TOWBOX' which can store our Fiamma privacy room or or Outwell country Road awning, a trailer will add to the overhaul length of the bongo, most ferries will charge more if the total length exceeds 6 metres...it is true to say however that a trailer has generally more capacity than any current rear box but its not for me 8)
denni
Bongonaut

Post by denni » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:04 pm

Hi mate,
we travelled round Europe and the UK extensively in our old VW and we had a bike rack with a Fiamma 180 ultra box.

Inside, we had the following:

2 burner grill/stove
5kg gas bottle
breakdown kit (air compressor, gloves, triangle, oil, wiper blades, bulbs etc etc)
Fairly substantial tool kit
Spare awning poles, pegs
Electric hook up lead
3 way plug socket thing
Couple of wind up lanterns

I'm sure there was a few other things as well. It was packed very well after loads of practice and very stable.

We also had a Khyam motordome awning which was either attached onto the roof rack or again, very well packed and strapped to the ultrabox. On our VW, there was a space at the top of the bike rack between the rack and the bus and if I compressed the awning "long ways" into a waterproof windsurfing bag, it would fit perfectly. If we had the awning on the roof rack, then we used to strap 2 camping chairs and a fold away table where the awning would be. Again, perfect fit.

Another thing about the box, we had horrendous weather a few times and not once did it leak or let any water in. It has been hammered and is still going strong. I'm intending sticking it on the back of the bongo when I get a bike rack.

Also, as far as fitting it to the rack goes, I just stood the rack on the floor, stood the box on it, centered it and let loose with the drill! Took 10 minutes and I used the 4 supplied U bolts. 2 on the base and 2 for the back. I then just used bathroom sealant to seal up where the screws were.

Brilliant set up, expensive at the time, £200 for the box and £200 for the bike rack but was worth its weight in gold for the 6 years we had the bus.

Hope this is of some use and if you can skip through a couple of the pages on the blog below, you will probably find a pic of it.
Den

http://irene-the-magic-bus.blogspot.co. ... -results=7
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:47 pm

Rear Box, For:

No probs reversing

Can use lane 3 on motorway

MAY fit standard parking bay, possible penalty chaarge if you overhang, or may need to pay for 2 spaces, must check regs.

May be cheaper on ferry.

Against:

See parking above.

Can't open tailgate.

All weight behind rear axle, may overload axle and capacity less than trailer.

Trailer, For:

Easier to attatch/remove than box.

Will carry more, especialy weight.

Bongo is a great tow vehicle.

Ideal for garden rubbish/DIY/furniture moving etc

Against:

No lane 3 on motorway

Lower speed limits

Pain reversing

Pain in caar parks

Very attractive to theives

Possible higher ferry charges*

* A mate of mine goes to Spain every winter, with a motorhome, and the standard trick is to tow a trailer, with all the 'Junk' to the ferry port, then wife/dogs/kids get out, trailer is unloaded into motorhome, trailer follows 'Junk' into motorhome, and wife/dogs/kids walk onto ferry.

This, apparently, is a standard wheeze, which may or may not be possible with a Bongo.

Hope that helps, and others will add to the list, I'm sure. :)
levon
Bongonaut

Post by levon » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:42 am

Another thing with a trailer is that if you've somewhere secure to store it you can leave it packed with all the camping kit, then when you go it is just a matter of adding any extra bits and your ready to go, and you don't need to find extra storage for all the kit and the box inside the garage.

And conversely, when you come back its a simple matter of unhooking the trailer and the Bongo is once again ready to roll as a normal vehicle.

Surely that is easier than fitting boxes on and taking them off the back?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:55 am

levon wrote:Another thing with a trailer is that if you've somewhere secure to store it you can leave it packed with all the camping kit, then when you go it is just a matter of adding any extra bits and your ready to go, and you don't need to find extra storage for all the kit and the box inside the garage.

And conversely, when you come back its a simple matter of unhooking the trailer and the Bongo is once again ready to roll as a normal vehicle.

Surely that is easier than fitting boxes on and taking them off the back?
I tend to agree. as long as your camping only in the u k and there are no ferry costs, a trailer is a very good option .
bongodonkey
Tribal Elder

Post by bongodonkey » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:05 am

I'm going to go for a storage box on me bike rack.

Simply because I don't need to pack that much into it.

Amittedly, all I'm putting in it will be our awning and fold away chairs to minimise the weight. The items are large but not heavy to minimise the weight on the rear axle. I've a LPG conversion with a 85L tank to consider. I've had rear shock stiffeners fitted (brillinant by the way) but don't want to add more than I need to.

That said, after 22 years of 'aggresive camping' for Her Maj, I've gotten very good at micro packing and living simply. My gadget bag tends to be bigger than my bag of clothes!

We are getting Olive converted next week from MPV to a full side conversion. The converter has designed their layouts to maximise storage, which from looking (drooling more like) at them last week; we will be in a position of having spare capacity................which even though I'm not personnaly carrying it, i won't fill the extra space. However, my Mrs may..........you know, shoes, extra togs, etc etc etc

Still, if I need to take extra, then a back box is the way ahead, else you end up taking spares for spares and stuff that takes time to set up/take down and isn't really needed.

I'm a great fan of minimal kit that serves multi functions rather than one bit of kit for one task where ever possible.
Oz, Sam & the girls | 2001 V6 AFT | LPG | 321Away F/S/C | A Bongo called OLIVE
denni
Bongonaut

Post by denni » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:23 pm

Bob wrote:Rear Box, For:

No probs reversing

Can use lane 3 on motorway

MAY fit standard parking bay, possible penalty chaarge if you overhang, or may need to pay for 2 spaces, must check regs.

May be cheaper on ferry.

Against:

See parking above.

Can't open tailgate.

All weight behind rear axle, may overload axle and capacity less than trailer.

Trailer, For:

Easier to attatch/remove than box.

Will carry more, especialy weight.

Bongo is a great tow vehicle.

Ideal for garden rubbish/DIY/furniture moving etc

Against:

No lane 3 on motorway

Lower speed limits

Pain reversing

Pain in caar parks

Very attractive to theives

Possible higher ferry charges*

* A mate of mine goes to Spain every winter, with a motorhome, and the standard trick is to tow a trailer, with all the 'Junk' to the ferry port, then wife/dogs/kids get out, trailer is unloaded into motorhome, trailer follows 'Junk' into motorhome, and wife/dogs/kids walk onto ferry.

This, apparently, is a standard wheeze, which may or may not be possible with a Bongo.

Hope that helps, and others will add to the list, I'm sure. :)

Hi mate,
our old T2 with the box length added was just shy of 4.6 metres, no probs parking it in a standard car parking space and that was at least in 13 countries!

As far as the extra weight goes, didn't feel to make a difference at all on the axle and our standard struts managed to lift the box fully loaded with ease. If we wanted to keep it open, we just propped it up with a cut off broom handle.

When we didn't use it, just loosened the 2 bolts at the bottom, lifted it off and in the back of the garage all ready for the next trip. Took all of about 3 mins to do. Also, box and bike rack take up far less room than a trailer and you don't take stuff with you you don't need.

Usual score though, horses for courses :0)
M 80NGO
Supreme Being
Location: Usually in My own wibbly wobbly lill world ! Otherwise Huntingdon.

Post by M 80NGO » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:51 pm

Well for me its a trailer all the way, yes it'll cost you a little extra on the ferry but it leaves the van clear for comfortable traveling, no argie bargie when i need to open the tailgate to get to the cool box when we stop for refreshments. I have a long motorcycle lock that goes between the tow bar and the trailer so the trailer is secure when the van's unattended.
camping

Carbooting

tip runs

kayaking
Furydav
Bongolier

Post by Furydav » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:08 am

Thanks for the advice/ views.

Bob, I like your mates style but id end up getting caught and thrown in the brig
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Post by fatcatlawyer » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:35 pm

When touriing wetake our small trailer. It is small enough to be put in the back of the bongo whilst in the chunnel. A bit messy each side - aboiut 20 mins effort but I reckon that as time is free I am quite happy to expend it for the saving!.

I had an extra but of tubing welded on to the towing fitment of the trailer - about 4 inches from the cup that goes onto the ball. Through that tube I put a six inch nail and on the nail put a 4 inch wheel. I can then put the trailer into the bongo without having to take all the weight of the same.

At Cite de Europe there is one carpark that has very high curbs that mean the trailer can be loaded that bit easier.

The extraspace makes itmuch better to and easuer to tour. If we are not stopping in the UK then the trailer is loaded before we leave home so we are not stopped from using the 3rd lane, both outward and inward bound.
Ian G

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”