Could I run these appliances from an inverter?

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Could I run these appliances from an inverter?

Post by digitalgypsy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:39 am

Hello chaps,
I am back again with nincompoop questions!

I am going to be buying a new leisure battery (the one already in the Bongo is well old) and I am also keen on buying a 12v to 240v inverter. I would really love to run some of my appliances away from hook up, so don't mind buying a very good/expensive leisure battery and inverter (have seen inverters providing as much as 2000w!). Here are the appliances I would like to use away from hook up:

- Juicer - http://www.energiseyourlife.com/product ... -9006.html (technical info at bottom of page)
Wouldn't be operating this for long, 10 minutes at the very most. It is a slow 'cold press' juicer so it doesn't generate a lot of heat. It is 160w.

- Halogen Oven - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Halogen-Convect ... 316&sr=1-2
This could be in use for up to 40 minutes. Specification states 700-800w. 220-240 V, 50Hz/60Hz.

So do you think it would be possible to use those above appliances away from hook up, just with leisure battery and inverter?

Thanks for advice :)
Steve

P.S. I would've added these questions to the existing inverter posts but quite a few with them were locked.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Could I run these appliances from an inverter?

Post by g8dhe » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:42 am

Yes you can in theory BUT .....
First the Juicer, the average will be 160 Watts but the starting current may well be a LOT higher, even the 160 Watts is quite a significant draw, it means that you will be drawing something like 14 Amps from the battery, which means a direct connection to the battery with very short cable runs at 12 volts.
The uWave forget as 800/12=67 Amps which really isn't practical in a Van setup!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:32 am

As Geoff says and, if it's a leisure battery, it probably can't release that power for any length of time. Leisure batteries are designed to release power slowly over a long period.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Post by digitalgypsy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:39 am

I see. Okey dokes, thanks for valuable input. How about connecting the inverter to the main battery and running the appliances that way? Though can't see myself juicing anywhere but by the kitchen in the back :|
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:44 am

A starter battery will release the power more quickly than a leisure battery, but is potentially more easily damaged by a prolonged high drain - can't you just eat the fruit and veg :lol: :lol:
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
longhaul8
Tribal Elder

Post by longhaul8 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:53 am

The other thing is not sure what size inverter you would need but a decent 1500 watt one is around £300

If you can not get an eletric hook up on a camp site or you are wild camping i would thing a generator might be a better option
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:05 pm

The large inverters 2000W (2KW) are really intended to run off static batteries rather than automotive batteries, they don't make it clear that the current being drawn is massive 2000/12=167 Amps, try to run it from a normal starter battery you would be talking of only a few minutes operation, also battery capacity drops at very high currents, so you will be lucky to get even 10 minutes or more.

Running from the Starter battery which can handle a larger current, briefly, gives you the problem of how will you then start the engine later!

Just been checking a few of the 2Kw inverters advertised, I seriously doubt the capability of any of the sub £200 products as being able to run 2KW on a continuous basis (i.e more than 1 minute), the fact that there are no technical spec's given and the User manuals are rather sparse on details would make me highly suspicious that the Marketing department have been working over-time on the headlines!

Something like this might be a different matter http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tripp-Lite-Inve ... =de_a_smtd , but again its not going to work from your standard L/B or a single starter battery, they are really intended on serious installations for boats and the like.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Post by digitalgypsy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:26 pm

Ah, thanks for valuable information g8dhe. Maybe I'm flogging a dead horse here then #-o ... Just to note, I wouldn't be running the oven or the juicer at the same time btw. Though I do get the picture that maybe this idea isn't going to work.

Thanks for generator idea longhaul. I found this website: http://www.caravantechnology.com which seems to have a lot of powerful solutions. Do you think they sell said generator on there? I am going to email them so hopefully they can give me some unbiased advice.

I can literally work anywhere with an internet connection so I'm trying to make the Bongo a mobile house! I'm committed to the cause :shock:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:58 pm

A generator is a much better idea for long term use, but start by finding out just how much power and energy you really need, what the "Peak" load is likely to be and how long you need the average power for. Also investigate what 12 volt devices you can find rather than 230v mains devices, 12 volt uWaves are available but again watch carefully how much power you really need, a low power device running for longer can be much more effective than a high power device which might save a couple of minutes of cooking time! Once you know just how much power and for how long then you can find a suitable source, and don't forget the Alternator in the Bongo is capable of 90 Amps (that's 12*90=1KW), so it might be better to run the vehicle for a few minutes than buying a separate generator which you have to store and lug around.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Post by digitalgypsy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:05 pm

Out of interest, I asked the same question to the guys at this website: http://www.caravantechnology.com/ Below is the quite helpful response I got:

Hi Steve
Yes it is possible for you to run your named appliances.
We would recommend using 1 x 2000w or 3000w Power Inverter.1 x Elecsol Leisure battery anything from 100amp hrs up to the 125amp hrs. The bigger the battery the more power stored for you to draw on for your appliances.
However the larger the battery the heavier it is to move to a mains electricity supply for charging back up.
Please visit www.caravantechnology.com for all pricing, product codes and availability.
Lastly you will need a battery charger to re-charge your battery when it's on low. The Inverter will sound an audible alarm when the battery is running low. You might also consider trickle charging the battery with a folding solar panel. These still offer a charge back into the battery even on a dull day.
There is a lot to think about but all these products can be viewed on our website.
Hope this helps.
Kind regards
Maggie
digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Post by digitalgypsy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:11 pm

Sheesh, now I see what she means about the weight! Elecsol 125 Ah Leisure Battery is 29kg!

Though, I have a multi-battery charge controller which charges the leisure battery when the engine is running. So even though she says 'However the larger the battery the heavier it is to move to a mains electricity supply for charging back up', I guess the weight is not such an issue if being charged when the engine is running.

Don't get me wrong, I have listened to all of your advice and see that inverter idea isn't such a good idea.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:29 pm

Yup and now take a look at the Elecsol data sheet, http://www.solenttech.co.uk/resources/e ... +sheet.pdf
especially page 3 and the section about Battery-Invertor selection guide;
for 1KW that's 4x110 batteries weighing 25Kg each thats 100Kilo's to carry around!
2KW is 3x220 at 49Kilos each is 150Kg ....
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
longhaul8
Tribal Elder

Post by longhaul8 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:39 pm

I run a 150 watt inverter in my truck 24volt though some guys go up to 1500 watts off 24 volts to run microwaves but still need the engine running to keep the batteries topped up.
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:05 pm

Would you not be best buying a good compressor fridge and just pre juice things! Surely there are other ways to cook most foods as well :? It seems like an excessive solution to have a juicer and halogen cooker if there are simpler alternatives.
Beyond A to B
digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Post by digitalgypsy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:17 pm

Oh yes totally, the halogen oven is foolishness. I may get one just for use at campsites. Stove cooking it is.

Juicing is almost a way of life though. Surely a good quality inverter can handle a 160w juicer, only operating with the engine running?

I'll stop talking about this topic soon :?

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”