Hook up through window?

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

kickinthebongos

Hook up through window?

Post by kickinthebongos » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:08 pm

Is it possible to buy a hook up lead and put it through the window? i plan to stay in a caravan park and don't have a hook up built in.....yet.
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Re: Hook up through window?

Post by daveblueozzie » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:10 pm

try this ,not the cheapest but very good,it has rcd, which most camp sites require by law.
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/pennine-lei ... it-p106504
Lost without my Bongo.
aitch
Supreme Being

Post by aitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:16 pm

I run my lead through the tailgate as there is enough space at the bottom of the door not to crush the lead - shop around as I got one similar to the link dave posted with 6 x 13 amp sockets for a lot less £££ wit an RCD fitted.
Be nice to everyone they might be nice back.

Come to the dark side we have chocolate dark chocolate
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:19 pm

Yup, the Towsure one is a better price http://www.towsure.com/product/533-Awni ... -_3_Outlet
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
M 80NGO
Supreme Being
Location: Usually in My own wibbly wobbly lill world ! Otherwise Huntingdon.

Post by M 80NGO » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:24 pm

This should do the job fella, don't waste your money on the ones with the trip switch as all uk electric hook ups have to be tripped by law

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAMPING-ELECTRIC- ... 2ea343b4a1
madmile
Supreme Being

Post by madmile » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:33 pm

M 80NGO wrote:This should do the job fella, don't waste your money on the ones with the trip switch as all uk electric hook ups have to be tripped by law

That may well be the case, but if its not working, then its nice to know you are covered by your own system.
As its not built into the van it may well be a bit different, but I would want my own RCD and MCB's to protect me and to stop me overloading the site electrics.
Also, not sure what the guy is on about with yellow lead.....if a site is going to be colour specific, then they will specify it HAS to be orange....it should also be 2.5mm.
Just my views, but saving a few £ where safety is concerned can be false economy.
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:05 am

madmile wrote:
M 80NGO wrote:This should do the job fella, don't waste your money on the ones with the trip switch as all uk electric hook ups have to be tripped by law

That may well be the case, but if its not working, then its nice to know you are covered by your own system.
As its not built into the van it may well be a bit different, but I would want my own RCD and MCB's to protect me and to stop me overloading the site electrics.
Also, not sure what the guy is on about with yellow lead.....if a site is going to be colour specific, then they will specify it HAS to be orange....it should also be 2.5mm.
Just my views, but saving a few £ where safety is concerned can be false economy.
Couldnt agree more Ed,best to have the RCD at the Bongo end
The problem with the towsure one,against the go outdoors one is that the towsure one (i have one) is awkward to use 3 plugs at the same time,due to the close proximity of the sockets,and the plug wire gets in the way.
The go oudoors one,for me is better as its easy to use all 3 plugs at once.

Although i have used mine through the tailgate in the past,i now thread it through the side window as i put my fridge on the front passenger seat,and my oil filled rad on the cubby box between the front seats

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Triple/R
Supreme Being

Post by Triple/R » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:26 am

madmile wrote:

Just my view

I've got a 25m orange cable & a 15m yellow one~i use the shortest one possible depending on the distance to the sites hook/up~~i've had no complaints whichever colour i use.
Regards Ray & Christine

It's only easy when you know the answer!!!!!!!!!!
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:48 am

I run the lead through the driver's window (no problem with rain, thanks to the deflector)and loop it over the steering wheel.

This should prevent me from driving away with it still connected. One good reason why I haven't fitted a socket elsewhere.

Let's hope that the practice doesn't become outlawed on H and S grounds. I have no qualms about it, if used sensibly.

Perhaps a block of wood with a groove to keep it in place over the glass would prevent accidental severing of the cable if the window switch is inadvertantly operated. Hopefully there is a cut out to stop the window cutting off baby's arms or any other body parts which people might poke out of the window.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
2sticks
Bongolier

Post by 2sticks » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:30 am

This subject was discussed by me and several others some time ago.

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... egulations

You should also remember that giving advice that may result in a fatality may involve you
in the inevitable HSE prosecution.
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:56 am

No socket on my bongo... (I don't fancy drilling the bodywork,and i think they are ugly) I have a built in RCD with trip switch/tester just in case. I now thread the cable out of the tailgate, with the tailgate clicked onto it's first notch, no problems. I have in the past threaded the cable through one of the opening side windows. (which i have opened when camping anyway to reduce condensation).
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:59 pm

All UK hookups may well have to be, but what about ones abroad? There are plenty of dodgy ones slipping through the net in parts of Europe. And what about plugging in to someone's garage as we do often when staying with family. Not all house electrics are up to scratch.

Best to buy one with an RCD now, than end up with two hook up leads later #-o And the one in that link is 10 metres is likely to be too short on most campsites (although he says he has other sizes). 20 or 25 metres (whilst its a lot to store and a heavy lump to carry) should reach most hookup points.

As for orange versus yellow. I just thought that they had to the correct type of wire, ampage, etc to be suitable for outdoor use on 220/240 v and more importantly to be easily visible in long grass.

We put ours through the tailgate rather than the window, but that's only because any electrical stuff we use is in the back.
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
madmile
Supreme Being

Post by madmile » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:52 pm

I seem to recall that orange is mentioned in the part P somewhere, but dont have a copy to hand.
However as for the colour arguement, have you ever seen a commercially available hook up lead (ebay excluded :roll: ) that is anything other than orange?.
I may be wrong of course :wink: .
The main thing is that it is safe in installation and bright enough that you dont trip over it when its half burried in grass etc.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:33 pm

On my cable I have fitted one of these RCD'd about 8 inches from the plug so it doesn't lie in the grass, click for details,
this means that I am not relying on any possible RCD fitted by the site owner. Also the cable itself will be protected, in that if anybody runs over the cable in a vehicle and they damage it then if anyone picks up the cable they might get a shock, but the RCD will at least protect them (its a 10mA 30/ms device). Having taken the time to inspect a couple of sites where feed boxes etc. have been unlocked, I don't intend relying on any owner!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:43 pm

madmile wrote:I seem to recall that orange is mentioned in the part P somewhere, but dont have a copy to hand.
However as for the colour arguement, have you ever seen a commercially available hook up lead (ebay excluded :roll: ) that is anything other than orange?.
I may be wrong of course :wink: .
The main thing is that it is safe in installation and bright enough that you dont trip over it when its half burried in grass etc.

Hi Ed

I think you're right about Part P

What's always amused me is that it's orange, but in common with 10% of the male population I'm colour blind and I can't see orange against green grass, Arctic Blue is much easier to see :shock:

g8dhe - those in-line RCD's are good. That's what I've fitted. Fed a lead through the big grommet on the n/s bulkhead etc. with a trailing socket and coiled the other end up under the bonnet. Great for stopovers when a bigger triple unit isn't needed.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”