Mattress (or similar) for reversed rear seats

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Alkers
Bongolier

Mattress (or similar) for reversed rear seats

Post by Alkers » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:31 pm

Hi there,

We have the old style bongo with the gullwing rear seats and also have the middle seat reversed. Looking from something to make sleeping "downstairs" more comfortable and don't really want to be dealing with a full on inflatable mattress. Might consider a self-inflating mat (double) if one comes recommended or a combination of that and a topper or something. I've read somewhere that some of the IKEA toppers are a decent fit but I think I'd need something a bit more rigid to bridge the gap between seats. Bonus marks for something that doesn't take up much space when not in use!

Any suggestions?
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Mattress (or similar) for reversed rear seats

Post by Bob » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:32 am

Our seats aren't reversed so no gap, but I use two bits of foam kneeling mat each side, one large, one small, cut to fit the contours.

Sort of thing you get in the discount stores and garden centres.

They do ok for the odd night, but a kip mat over that helps for longer stays.

I also sleep on the front/middle seats as it gives a good space at the back to get changed and keep the Portapotti, plus if I'm on my own I fold the back of the n/s middle seat forward to make a night table. If I'm not on my own I tend to take the caravan, though. :wink:
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:09 pm

Thanks for that, how did you go about cutting the foam to fit the contours - sounds a tricky enough job!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:34 pm

Stanley knife. :wink:

These are only the small kneeling mats, I just cut a small one to size then the sort of double size one to go on top.

I guess glueing them together would be good, and for more than a night or two I roll out a cheap kip mat over the two. :)

This sort of thing:

https://www.thebrandedcompany.co.uk/pro ... 2jEALw_wcB

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”