Conversion problems

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

paoloj27
Apprentice Bongonaut

Conversion problems

Post by paoloj27 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:37 pm

Hi everyone!!

I just bought my Bongo last Wednesday and I'm super-excited! Plus I'm very happy to have found this great site and become a Bongonaut :)

However, I'm really NOT happy about a few things.

I could only find ONE company that would insure my Bongo (Churchill), and I ended up paying £1200 for the year. This is mostly due to the fact that 90% of insurances won't cover London postcodes and if they do, their prices skyrocket high.

What I want to do is convert my Bongo (as now it's registered as a Private Light Goods vehicle and 8-seater, even though it's fully converted and sits only two, driver included) and cancel my subscription for hopefully a cheaper one. This will also prove difficult as I phoned a couple of motor homes insurances and they also have problems with you living in London.

HOWEVER, I found out that the DVLA just changed their policy and don't let you convert pop-tops into motor caravans anymore #-o

I have a friend who lives in Colchester and I could park up my van there but apparently the address needs to match your driver's licence's address.

Do you guys have any tips? Is there any way I could still convert my Bongo?

Help a fellow Bongonaut out please!!

Thanks!
Roy748
Bongolier

Re: Conversion problems

Post by Roy748 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:13 pm

Welcome.
Not sure if they will offer insurance cover in London but I insure with 2Gether insurance, who are consistently competitive with my annual renewal. Might be worth a call.
Katka
Bongolier

Re: Conversion problems

Post by Katka » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:45 am

We've just renewed through Adrian Flux. About £200 in Surrey, slightly less than last year. You can legitimately tweak your Declaration and make savings sometimes. This might help https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-i ... e/#costcut . I suspect being in London will raise the Premium substantially, but any saving (so long as the Policy is a good one) is worth hunting down.
Good luck

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”