Pop top roof bed modification with gas struts

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Whatwouldgordondo
Junior Bongonaut

Pop top roof bed modification with gas struts

Post by Whatwouldgordondo » Thu May 07, 2020 1:38 pm

Gordon the Bongo was originally imported from Japan as a “Tin Top” Mazda Bongo Friendee and we paid to have it fully converted inside into a campervan but we also had the “Tin Top” removed and a “Pop Top” roof made by drivelodge motorhomes fitted for an extra sleeping space of which the floor of the sleeping space which is also the ceiling in the van was made up of 4 individual removable boards, 2 short and 2 longer boards, these boards when not in use all stack on top of each other at the back end of the Bongo which to be honest was a pain and a better solution was needed.

This video shows how i fixed one of the small boards to the back of the van roof rail and then fixed the two longer boards together and hinged them off the smaller fixed board then attached 2 gas struts to make it automatically raise when pushed upwards.

YouTube link - https://youtu.be/NwGkWbHg8NU
Mr & Mrs B in a bongo called Gordon constantly asking "what would Gordon do?"
Flanners
Bongolier

Re: Pop top roof bed modification with gas struts

Post by Flanners » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:58 am

What an excellent modification, the conversion companies should follow your lead; having the loose roof boards is a massive downside and has always left me thinking when I have sat or stood in an aftermarket pop top that it is neither one thing or another given the inability to use the space quickly and easily for sleeping/day van activity like the OE AFT.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”