Rear seats that go flat (to make a bed)

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Big Tee
Apprentice Bongonaut

Rear seats that go flat (to make a bed)

Post by Big Tee » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:24 am

Hi all.

I've been doing a bit of research and considering bongo 2.0L for fuel economy and ease of parking. Probably chain driven, although I think the 3 front seats would be more fun.

My interest is what models (if any) came standard with rear seats that could be reclined to a horizontal (flat) position.

My interest is in keeping the existing 3 seater, folding it flat in place, and then positioning a supporting element either between the seat and the back of the front seats, or further back towards the rear door to extend the flattened 3 seater into a proper length bed.

As I would be using solo (at least until my bongo pulls some bird to spoon with in my tiny bed), I wouldn't mind only extending the bed for half it's width to support either my head or my feet. Then I could use the rest of the space for shelves/sink/toilet (if going self contained cert)/Galaga machine etc. etc.

A salesman suggested the Hightop and GL model to look out for because it has the fold flat seats. I can't find any info online to confirm this.
Plus for this model is: high top for guy that is 6'3"+, and 3 seats in front. Minus is cam belt not chain, and less powerful and efficient motor...

Any thoughtsees??? Chairs from NZ
Ian
Supreme Being

Re: Rear seats that go flat (to make a bed)

Post by Ian » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:50 am

Hi Big T. Welcome to the Forum. I assume you are referring to Bongo Friendees and not Bongo Brawnys as all Bongo Friendeess are belt driven, none are chain driven. Also there is no such thing as a hi-top Bongo at the point of manufacture but some converters here in the UK add an after-market hi-top to the structure. I believe a few were converted in Japan using this method, but not by Mazda.

All Bongos have 2 seats in the front and a bench seat in the middle. Rear configurations are either a 3 person bench across the back, or (rarer) 2 flip up seats at the rear. All seats fold flat but there is a gap between the middle and rear that can be plugged by a bit of smart thinking.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”