How wide are the various sleeping areas?

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

booms
Apprentice Bongonaut

How wide are the various sleeping areas?

Post by booms » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:11 pm

Hi all,

Thinking about buying a converted Bongo but haven't yet seen one in the flesh.

From what I've read and seen, the side conversions seem to leave a R&R bed of 41" - which seems *extremely* skinny for two adults. I have also seen some reference to 47" wide beds done by a particular conversion company.

How about rear conversions? I haven't been able to find a picture of what these are like with the bed down, but I assume it's the full width of the van e.g. about 5 feet?

And what about the bed space in the AFP? Is there a single set of dimensions for that or does it depend on the conversion?

Thanks in advance!
Roy748
Bongolier

Re: How wide are the various sleeping areas?

Post by Roy748 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:03 pm

Hello.
Your dilemma is a common one which many owners still ponder over with regards to installing a conversion.
I have actually built a storage box that sits on the rear most seats when folded down, thus providing the necessary storage and cooking space. See link http://imgur.com/gallery/VaTeZs2
With the drivers and passenger seats backs tilted back and the middle seats placed in a flat position both my partner and I fit very comfortablely. I am 6ft tall too. Some have mentioned that the seats in this position can be uncomfortable but we don't find this, however if you did you can buy a self inflating mattress from camping stores which packs down very small but when open would flatten out the bumps a little.
We also have the AFT (raised roof) but this too can be snug width wise, it also has a weight limit of 150kg. We tend to use the AFT in warmer weather and sleep in the cab on cooler evenings.
Hope this helps a little with your dilemma
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:35 am

Have a look at the pictures etc on a conversion company website like North Star or New Dawn for an idea, there is loads of info via a Google search too. For me a side conversion looked great but in practical terms meant the bed was far too small in width, so I bought an outback tin-top (added weight and expense of a pop and it's Summer campsite orientated usage meant it was not needed, have toyed with aftermarket, but if using a site we have an awning as and when needed). All options have advantages and disadvantages, I felt the outback had the least drawbacks for my usage. A flattened middle swivel seat makes a full width bed quickly and easily and means no need for extra 'flattening mattresses' to be carried or used. If you really are perplexed then a visit to a dealer to physically sample the various layouts would be a good idea. We use ours mostly as a day van in the Winter and as it is dry today we are off down to the coast for a walk and then lunch on the beach in the van...perfect :D

This video and chap inspired me to buy my van (although his is a T5, very nice it is too) as I share a lot of his passions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQAJOADo2SI
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
booms
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by booms » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:37 pm

Thanks for the replies all, it’s really helpful.

So looking around the internet I’ve found a few other numbers and wanted to check them here.

So:

Standard side conversion will have a Rock and Roll bed which is 41” = 3 ft 5”.

The AFT bed is 44”x88” = that’s 3ft 8” wide.

A rear conversion should allow the full width of the van to be used for the bed ‘downstairs’ – so effectively 4ft 6” – 5ft. Is it as simple as that or am I missing something?

I’m going to try to see some Bongos either some evening this weekend or at the weekend, but the first two numbers seem crazy small. How does anyone get a good night’s sleep with two adults unless you’re in a rear conversion? I imagine you could put up with it for a night or two (or sleep separately somehow), but we’re thinking about taking the Bongo on a road trip for a few months.

Is a rear conversion the only realistic option?
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Post by fatcatlawyer » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:04 pm

As my wife and I are on the large size we have over 11 years of ownership tried various ways of comfortable sleeping arrangements. Ours is an old style bongo with flip up rear seats.
We settled for using the rear seats, and removing the middle seats and replacing them with a metal framed wood stool with a mattress up to the same height as the flat rear seats. Our cooker etc are kept under the rear seats and are used under the opened tailgate. A canvas throw over encloses the tailgate space when the weather is bad. When it is horrible we cook in the space freed up by the removal of the middle seat. It ain't pretty but it works for us.
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

PsRe: How wide are the various sleeping areas?

Post by fatcatlawyer » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:09 pm

Ps if you can travel to Chesterfield I am happily to show our set up!
Ian G.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:34 am

booms wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:37 pm Thanks for the replies all, it’s really helpful.

So looking around the internet I’ve found a few other numbers and wanted to check them here.

So:

Standard side conversion will have a Rock and Roll bed which is 41” = 3 ft 5”.

The AFT bed is 44”x88” = that’s 3ft 8” wide.

A rear conversion should allow the full width of the van to be used for the bed ‘downstairs’ – so effectively 4ft 6” – 5ft. Is it as simple as that or am I missing something?

I’m going to try to see some Bongos either some evening this weekend or at the weekend, but the first two numbers seem crazy small. How does anyone get a good night’s sleep with two adults unless you’re in a rear conversion? I imagine you could put up with it for a night or two (or sleep separately somehow), but we’re thinking about taking the Bongo on a road trip for a few months.

Is a rear conversion the only realistic option?
If you find a piciture of a rock n roll bed fitted in a Bongo with a side conversion showing two adults 'in situ' laying on the bed let me know as I have yet to find one! Some of the beds shown are small with crazy uneven cushions.

With the measurements you quote if you look through the posts on here those with an AFT seem to use it for storage or added headroom; or to sleep two small children or one adult primarily in Summer. I don't think it is realistic to sleep two adults in the AFT (I may be wrong) or two adults for any length of time (travelling) in a side conversion 3/4 or less rock n roll bed. I think you may be realising some of the comprimises required of such a small 'camper' as the Bongo, at least that is now rather then after the purchase of one.

NorthStar state they have a 48" Bongo Rock n Roll bed conversion https://www.northstarconversions.com/bo ... rsion-menu. My Outback was supplied and fitted by them and it is well made and functional, the only issue I have with it is to swivel the middle seat you have to remove the storage/table seats which can be a ball ache if they are full, other than that being bias I think it offers the best space, storage and function for the money and size available. Some conversions look fantastic but in use fall way short.

https://www.northstarconversions.com/bo ... rsion-menu

Have a look at the Elgrand, Alphard and T5's etc as they may offer more internal space. If I was going to do a long duration European trip I would be looking at a Renault Master, MB Sprinter or VW Crafter bespoke conversion.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:57 am

And the ever popular Transit.

Cheap, easy to get parts...
booms
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by booms » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:34 pm

Thanks very much all,

Yes, I think the AFP and side conversion beds are just way way too small for us. A rear conversion might be a possibility.

A straightforward two berth conversion might make more sense too.

Is there a large community of Elgrand and Alphard owners?

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”