Children in r&r seats

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

brianjeff50
Apprentice Bongonaut

Children in r&r seats

Post by brianjeff50 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:06 pm

We are on the brink of buying a used (2011) JAL side conversion but having last minute anxieties about the safety/usability of the rock and roll seat. I gather they are not crash tested but does that mean they are not safe? It's very hard to get some nailed down facts. The man at JAL says no Bongo seats are crash tested but his are better mounted than some. We have two grandchildren aged 9 and 4 keen to go in it.

What do people think? Do they feel comfortable putting their youngsters in a r&r seat?
Flanners
Bongolier

Re: Children in r&r seats

Post by Flanners » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:37 am

I am no expert but Rock n Roll beds come in many 'flavours' from versions that have some form of Type Approval (are tested and safe in a simulated speed crash test etc) down to someone who has welded up a bed frame in their garage and flogging it on eBay.

You pays your money, given the van you are considering has a R&R fitted already and it concerns you I would be asking the supplier of the van for documentation/information on what make/model of bed and who actually fitted it.

There is in the UK no legal requirement for seats fitted after the registration of a campervan etc to meet any specific requirement.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Re: Children in r&r seats

Post by mountainmummy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:37 am

We kept our van unconverted for that very reason although I believe you can now get M1 tested beds for Bongos.

A side conversion will leave a very small bed, might be a bit tight for four of you.

Have you thought of looking at rear conversion's? Then you can keep the original middle seats.

Sara
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”